The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Is this really an Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

antianti.v
Posted 2007-12-25 9:01 PM (#64628)
Subject: Is this really an Ovation

Hi guys.
Found an electric guitar on a swedish "used for sale site". The saler claims that it is an Ovation, but I don't recognice it. Googled for it but found nothing.

So is it really an Ovation?

http://www.blocket.se/vi/14431706.htm
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2007-12-25 9:13 PM (#64629 - in reply to #64628)
Subject: Re: Is this really an Ovation

ut deoends if you consider celebrity guitars ovation or not
AussieJames
Posted 2007-12-25 9:16 PM (#64630 - in reply to #64628)

Yes, its a Celebrity solid body.
Made in Korea by Kaman Music (Ovation)
Strat type 2 single coils and humbucker, Floyd Rose type tremelo bridge.
They usually sell for around $150usd, quite a reasonable guitar for the money.
What are they asking for that one in USD?
I have two in my collection.
Cheers AJ
AussieJames
Posted 2007-12-25 9:22 PM (#64631 - in reply to #64628)

Al has a point, a few on here probably don't :D
Tupperware
Posted 2007-12-25 11:00 PM (#64632 - in reply to #64628)

What's an Ovation, and what's not? Good question. Certainly the ones built in the original factory in New Hartford are. But what about the imports? I used to have a BMW that was built in the USA. My snobby german friend refused to consider it a real BMW. But his german made BMW has the entire transmission built in France, so what the hell is up with that?

Celebrity, I really don't know what to call it. Similar materials, assembly techinques, visual appearence as USA models. I think of it very much like Fender and Squire. Squire is "sort of" made by Fender, just like Celebrity is "sort of" made by Ovation. Martin had their Sigma line, and Takamine has Jasmine, etc. etc.

Dave
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-12-25 11:18 PM (#64633 - in reply to #64628)

Okay... Is the new Ultra 2071 really an Ovation?

I had a Yamaha Motorcycle that was bought in Japan, had all the writing on it in Japanese, the speedometer was in Kilometers...
It was manufactured in the USA, shipped to Japan, sold to a US Navy dude, and found it's way back here.

Ah... The Global Marketplace...
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-12-25 11:51 PM (#64634 - in reply to #64628)

FWIW those Celebrity Solid-Bodies are pretty nice guitars. Their only physical drawback that I've seen is mostly in the materials that were used. So if one has lasted this long, and is still in good playable shape, it's a nice one and will probably last a long while more. It was/is a consistency thing.. Same model, same age, side by side one would have a great neck, the other not.

The only reason they are not in the $300-$500 range is because you can buy a new guitar today of similar quality, maybe even a bit more consistant, for $300-$500.
PEZ
Posted 2007-12-26 12:07 AM (#64635 - in reply to #64628)

If it wasn't made in New Hartford or Moosup its an Ovation import....
The imports are not real Ovations to me.
Imports are a lot of bang for the buck.
They well made.
STK
Posted 2007-12-26 3:55 AM (#64636 - in reply to #64628)

antianti.v:
the seller is asking around US$300 with amplifier and US$220 for the guitar only. There are few pieces missing around the bridge which is why the guitar currently has only four strings attached and why the seller is selling it cheap. if you are based in USA, with the shipping cost, whether it is Celebrity or not seems to be a mute point.
LBJ
Posted 2007-12-26 5:43 AM (#64637 - in reply to #64628)

STK, you should play it first. if it speaks to You, buy it, if not - don't.
I've played on similar one in Poland (but it was blue) and it was ok, but didn't convince me to buy it.
STK
Posted 2007-12-26 7:16 AM (#64638 - in reply to #64628)

LBJ: It is not I but antianti.v who was interested in the guitar. Just happen to know Swedish and thus, provide a quick translation. Moreover, I recently acquired three Ovations - 1984 Collector's from Sergio Lara, 2005 Collector's from Stuart Miller and Patriot from Guitar Center - so I am set for the moment.
Does anyone own a Lowden and/or Santa Cruz guitar? I read about Ovation/Adamas guitars (naturally) but also Takamine and Martin in this forum. However, nobody writes about Lowden or Santa Cruz.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-12-26 8:14 AM (#64639 - in reply to #64628)

If it says Ovation on it, it's an Ovation. It couldn't be more black and white than that. Where in the rule book does it say that Ovations can not be manufactured in certain countries.

Now, that being said ...

Does it cheapen the name when less expensive korean models are made to visually look just like USA models costing 3x the price? Yes.

Does it lessen the publics perception of Ovation when dealers stock 10 of the cheap imports for every 1 quality USA model? Yes.

Does selling thousands and thousands of these high margin imports help subsidize the USA factory and allow them to keep the doors open and build/repair the models most of us prefer? Yes.

Live with it. You're playing the same brand of guitar as the kid down the street who bought it new with gig bag from Musicians Friend for $399.

Dave

PS - In answer to STK, YES. I have played a few Santa Cruz that were very nice. Came real close to buying one of their OM's once. Beautiful sounding instrument. Lowden? Oh yeah. Jeff has a cedar one that is just about the best sounding guitar I ever played. No, you don't read much about high end acoustics like those on this board. I think for discussions like those (and Martins and Taks) folks gavitate over to the other boards.
LBJ
Posted 2007-12-26 8:24 AM (#64640 - in reply to #64628)

STK: excuse me, my mistake :-)
FlySig
Posted 2007-12-26 10:06 AM (#64641 - in reply to #64628)

Originally posted by Tupperware:

Does it cheapen the name when less expensive korean models are made to visually look just like USA models costing 3x the price? Yes.
Maybe the Mother Ship doesn't care, but it seems like everyone that I run into pretty much thinks that Ovations are crap. It's because the only one they've ever seen or played was a bottom of the line Applause or Celebrity at Guitar Center.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-12-26 10:32 AM (#64642 - in reply to #64628)

Originally posted by FlySig:
... it seems like everyone that I run into pretty much thinks that Ovations are crap. It's because the only one they've ever seen or played was a bottom of the line Applause or Celebrity at Guitar Center.
Yup, that's the way it is. It used to bother me. But if people think I've got a whole collection of Ovations "just like the crappy ones they've seen at GC", then so be it. I think I'm better off investing my efforts on other problems.

Dave
PEZ
Posted 2007-12-26 1:54 PM (#64643 - in reply to #64628)

Originally posted by FlySig:
Originally posted by Tupperware:

Maybe the Mother Ship doesn't care, but it seems like everyone that I run into pretty much thinks that Ovations are crap. It's because the only one they've ever seen or played was a bottom of the line Applause or Celebrity at Guitar Center.
You I have no idea how many times
I heard "I don't like Ovations but that that one sounds really good" over the last 18 years.
(refering to TB-01)

Now I started to hear the same with the 1719.
I truely wish the imports had a different head stock to indentify them as imports or say
Celeberty instead of Ovation on it.
cliff
Posted 2007-12-26 2:16 PM (#64644 - in reply to #64628)

click.
STK
Posted 2007-12-26 5:17 PM (#64645 - in reply to #64628)

PEZ: In Korea where Celebrity guitars are made, it is almost impossible to distinguish between the US made O's and Korea made Celebrity/Applause. The shops (or the manufacturer of Celebrity) have removed many of the tags which separate an O versus a C. Only when the shopowners think you can afford the substantially more expensive Made in USA O, do they put the sales pitch on you to buy the genuine O.
When a Brand such as Ovation gets cannibalized by its cheaper cousin Celebrity, you get company like Fender buying up Kaman. Plastic bowl does not mean it has to be cheaper, as long as Kaman has its special know-how and takes advantage of it. Moreover, without the strong brand recognition, the value of genuie O's are going to go down, which is a shame for such wonderful guitars.
P.S. LBJ, no worries :-) Did you get the strings shipped yet?
STK
Posted 2007-12-26 5:21 PM (#64646 - in reply to #64628)

Need to learn to write shorter replies like Cliff "click" to upgrade myself from junior member to member. :D
an4340
Posted 2007-12-26 6:48 PM (#64647 - in reply to #64628)

Hey STK, Kam Sa Am Ni Dah!
You been to the Celebrity Factory?

Also, despite what some may here say, most people know that there is a contimuum of quality in the Kaman line.

Let the people who think that an applause is an adamas take their cheese and live in La La land.
an4340
Posted 2007-12-26 6:50 PM (#64648 - in reply to #64628)

oh yeah ... click
STK
Posted 2007-12-26 7:03 PM (#64649 - in reply to #64628)

Kam Sa Ham Ni Da to you, too. Oh yeah, forgot the Click to get one more credit to my postings :D

No visit to the C factory yet. But if more of the OFC members show up in Seoul, I might be able to arrange?! I will take out the members to Korean BBQ with a lot of Kimchi (spicy cabbage). Tupperware is only one I know thus far destined to show up here sooner or later due to work.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2007-12-26 9:31 PM (#64650 - in reply to #64628)

Originally posted by an4340:
Also, despite what some may here say, most people know that there is a contimuum of quality in the Kaman line.

Let the people who think that an applause is an adamas take their cheese and live in La La land.
Thanks for voicing sanity.

I buy Celebrity's and I know what I am getting. A good, consistent, laser-cut guitar, made by machines at a "Factory" factory. And I can hear the difference. That is why all my Celebrity's plug-in and most of my USO's don't.

(There are cheap Takamine's out there too.)
PEZ
Posted 2007-12-26 11:34 PM (#64651 - in reply to #64628)

Originally posted by STK:
PEZ: In Korea where Celebrity guitars are made, it is almost impossible to distinguish between the US made O's and Korea made Celebrity/Applause. The shops (or the manufacturer of Celebrity) have removed many of the tags which separate an O versus a C. Only when the shopowners think you can afford the substantially more expensive Made in USA O, do they put the sales pitch on you to buy the genuine O.
When a Brand such as Ovation gets cannibalized by its cheaper cousin Celebrity, you get company like Fender buying up Kaman. Plastic bowl does not mean it has to be cheaper, as long as Kaman has its special know-how and takes advantage of it. Moreover, without the strong brand recognition, the value of genuie O's are going to go down, which is a shame for such wonderful guitars.
Celbs are beginner to amature grade instruments.
USA Ovation are pro instruments.
PEZ
Posted 2007-12-26 11:48 PM (#64652 - in reply to #64628)

Originally posted by STK:
It certainly has not hurt
Fender with with thier imports.
Nor Gibson with Epi imports.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)