The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Classic Artist,68 Hartford.Conn Non bolt on neck

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Art Steinberg
Posted 2008-01-04 6:41 PM (#63765)
Subject: Classic Artist,68 Hartford.Conn Non bolt on neck

Classic Artist,68 Hartford.Conn sans bolt on neck and electrics
Repair status.
Spoke to Ovation Conn.They said this older instrument needs a new neck and top because of the construction of the earlier guitars. I would like to keep this top so I consulted a local luthier who advised to fill and set the 2mm seperation from the heel and body, shave the bridge lowering the action and helping to drive the top, adding a bone saddle and setup.
He's chargeing $150.Does this sound okay
Thanks for all your feedback
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Northcountry
Posted 2008-01-04 6:50 PM (#63766 - in reply to #63765)
Subject: Re: Classic Artist,68 Hartford.Conn Non bolt on neck

Sounds like a great deal considering the amount of time he may put into this. I can also gaurantee the factory guy's are going to be light years ahead of most private luthiers when it comes to Ovations. If the job (and this is the bottom line) and I mean "If the job is done well" that's a hell of a deal! Enjoy playing this one.
Now If he messes it up the factory may not be able to do anything with it. If this guitar is that sentimental to you or if it has the collectors value from its age then pay the factory price and you'll be happy for years and years to come. You won't care what you spent in a few years when you are showing off this guitar. You'll never forget the $150 when you look at a guitar you can't sell or play.

Randy
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-01-04 7:43 PM (#63767 - in reply to #63765)

The factory option is always the best. But in this case, ultimately, the factory is saying that the whole guitar is a write off. New top and new neck means essentially a new guitar.

I don't think you can go wrong trying your local guy. You're not going to get a "like new" guitar, but if he can salvage the neck and top to your satisfaction, it would be a good thing.

Let us know how it turns out.....
Art Steinberg
Posted 2008-01-04 7:45 PM (#63768 - in reply to #63765)

The problem with the factory is they want to change the top .The luthier said he worked as an ovation warranty service center in the late 70's
He feels the bridge on classic ovations are way overbuilt
but states that the bridges are glued onto the finish and not the raw spruce so he's seems to be knowlegable as far as ovations go..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)