The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Guitar Center VXT encounter

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Brian T
Posted 2008-01-05 9:59 PM (#63473)
Subject: Guitar Center VXT encounter

I had a couple hours to kill this afternoon so I went up to GC. I wanted to take a long serious look at an Ovation VXT. They had only one in stock; in sunburst color. I asked to try it way back in the acoustic room through a Fishman Amp so I could assess what the acoustic tone sounded like.

They could not get it to work with the (VXT) switch on mono and using a mono cord, only the Electric pickups would work. Finally the guy comes back with a stereo cord and gets the piezo pickup to work using half the stereo cord, but now the electric side wont work so I cannot play with the blend knob. The sales guy tells me this is how it is supposed to work. I say no way, then why did they put a stereo/mono switch on it?

So you have to use a split stereo cord with this guitar? That doesnt sound right.

FWIW I really liked the acoustic tone, and with the two humbuckers I know it will be a respectable electric. But I couldnt really tell because this one model isn't working correctly and I couldnt experiment with blending the sounds. Also this particular specimen had two pretty significant dings right on the top and showed some significant shopwear. Also they couldnt find the case. I'm thinking maybe he'll cut me a super deal that I cant refuse. Best price he offers me is $1100 as-is. I am tempted but I pass. Maybe in the future I may want a VXT, but not this one that has problems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-05 10:47 PM (#63474 - in reply to #63473)
Subject: Re: Guitar Center VXT encounter

Could be a dead battery. Mine works fine through a mono cord with the selector switch set correctly. Incidently, I intend to use mine tomorrow. One thing I recently noticed . . . when run through the Zoom A2.1u pedal into the AAD Cub amp/monitor, the acoustic tone through the piezo is fine, but the electric side is less than sensational. After bypassing the Zoom and running straight to the amp, but still using the other pedals, then I have good tone for both acoustic and electrical and everything in between with the blend control. The Zoom A2.1u really seems to be designed specifically for the piezo. I need to keep this in mind when running the VXT through the pedals.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)