The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12345
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Ovation vs Taylor forum

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 5:10 PM (#61433 - in reply to #61358)
Subject: Re: Ovation vs Taylor forum

Omaha,
That was hilarious.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-11 5:17 PM (#61434 - in reply to #61358)

Even the scorn for Taylors is pretty much an affectation to some degree. After all, you gotta draw a line somewhere or this would just be
the cool Old Farts who Collect guitars forum
schroeder
Posted 2008-01-11 5:18 PM (#61435 - in reply to #61358)

If you ever look inside a Taylor you'll be amazed at how they don't finish the braces, the glue round the purfling and a bunch of other stuff. Maybe it's improved down the years, but the players are still assholes. They are as far in one direction as we are in the other. All their postings are about guitars for mercy's sake.
Omaha
Posted 2008-01-11 5:20 PM (#61436 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by schroeder:
If you ever look inside a Taylor you'll be amazed at how they don't finish the braces, the glue round the purfling and a bunch of other stuff.
There I disagree. At least in this sense: The overall level of refinement on my Taylor compared to my Ovation is exceptional. The Ovation is not in the same league when it comes to fit and finish.

Not that the Ovation is "bad", but the Taylor is on a whole other level.
schroeder
Posted 2008-01-11 5:30 PM (#61437 - in reply to #61358)

At the London Guitar Show a couple of years ago (maybe 3) they had a topless model (leave it boys) showing the then new pickup system. There were splinters everywhere on the braces and glue all over the back and I asked the Taylor guy if that was how the guitars left the factory. He said that nobody ever looks inside.....

Maybe they've cleaned up their act.

Nothing has ever changed my view that Bob Taylor is in it for the money, unlike say Larry Fishburn, Jol, Seymour Duncan and PRS who have become seriously rich because they just did the best they could at something they loved doing. We should all be grateful to PRS because he raised quality control to a level never seen before in a factory produced guitar.
cliff
Posted 2008-01-11 5:48 PM (#61438 - in reply to #61358)

They make REAL nice furniture.
That being said, my desk "sounds" better than aLOT of the Taylor guitars I've tried.

I've gotta' admit they've got their "Marketing" sh!t DOWN!
They've got aLOT of people "convinced" that just because they "sell" the most, that they're the best
. . must be that whole "Scientology" connection (but I'm not going "there") . . .
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 6:06 PM (#61439 - in reply to #61358)

Taylor is the WoodBox version of the PlasticGuitar
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-11 6:07 PM (#61440 - in reply to #61358)

Omaha,
This is just an idea for which I have no evidentiary support. Perhaps many people buy Taylors because they like the "status" of owning a Taylor. Perhaps many of them would buy cars, watches or houses or anything else primarily on the basis of the impression that others would have. It's pretty much the American way and maybe the way of the world. Marketing people would be out of work if all people cared about was the utility of the product. People would never buy jewelry.
If that's Taylor's market niche, that's fine. Most of those people would never listen to any reasons why some other guitar might be "better" because they have convinced themselves or Taylor has done a good job of convincing them that Taylor is the best. I'd like to convince myself that Ovation is the best, too. The realist in me won't do that, so I'm satified with knowing that they are the best for me.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-11 6:31 PM (#61441 - in reply to #61358)

Look at it from Taylor's perspective. Maybe they're concerned as hell right now knowing that the Fender folks have bought the Kaman music division and have the knowledge and resources to market the O/A brand at an entirely new level. Or not.
Omaha
Posted 2008-01-11 6:31 PM (#61442 - in reply to #61358)

Or maybe Taylor owners are just wankers.

Personally, I don't give a crap what kind of guitar someone plays. Who cares? Guitars are no big deal. I don't take this stuff seriously.

But a lot of Taylor owners do. And that's the rub.

Terms like "good" and "bad" don't make sense here. Is vanilla "good" and chocolate "bad". Its all just the same.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I am thinking I'm putting my 714 on the 'bay and seeing what Al can do for me on a CL.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 6:45 PM (#61443 - in reply to #61358)

Omaha,
That was hilarious.
schroeder
Posted 2008-01-11 6:54 PM (#61444 - in reply to #61358)

This is where we find that jeff is like wolfman jack in american grafitti. just a reel-to-reel running out in the woods.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 7:02 PM (#61445 - in reply to #61358)

<>
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2008-01-11 7:26 PM (#61446 - in reply to #61358)

I Double-Dog-Dare anyone going to NAMM to go downstairs to the R.Taylor booth, not the big, stupid Taylor Room upstairs. You will see some of the finest guitars that have been hand made by Bob's "dream team" of luthiers.

They ARE NOT Taylors...They are $10K+ guitars for $4-6K. I have a friend who has two. One is a prototype and the other is 10-2006, or the 10th one produced. His "old" guitar was a GA custom, no slouch as far as Taylors go. It might have well been an Estabahn. Hardly anyone evens talk about R.Taylors AFG. (Americas funniest guitars) :p :D :p :D
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2008-01-11 7:46 PM (#61447 - in reply to #61358)

ProfesorBB : Maybe they're concerned as hell right now knowing that the Fender folks have bought the Kaman music division and have the knowledge and resources to market the O/A brand at an entirely new level. Or not.
---------------------------------------------

Has FENDER bought the factory , or have they taken over Distribution ?
Mitchrx
Posted 2008-01-11 8:39 PM (#61448 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Omaha:
Something about the Taylor guitar seems to attract these people...they seem to think of their guitars more as art objects than as musical instruments.
Well put. That's what make this forum different from theirs.
gulfcoast
Posted 2008-01-11 8:43 PM (#61449 - in reply to #61358)

I seem to remember Tupp saying some kind words about a Taylor a while back...
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2008-01-11 9:02 PM (#61450 - in reply to #61358)

I can't say anything about the Taylor forum, because I don't own a Taylor and therefore don't belong--but when I seriously needed a hug last fall, I got about two dozen of them, and they were from all over the world. And that's what makes this such a caring, crazy, sometimes weird, sometimes wacko, sometimes bawdy, never boring place to be. For me, it's not so much about the "what" as it is the "who"--sure, I know an enormous amount about Ovations that I didn't know two years ago, but being on the site and watching things unfold from day to day has definitely enriched my life.
Thanks and hugs to all and sundry,
--Karen
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-01-11 9:24 PM (#61451 - in reply to #61358)

I might add... (Here we go :rolleyes: )
I came to the Ovation Fan Club cuz I had just bought a Balladeer. I have been to other forums searching for information.
And you know what?...

They were Boring! (and not that town in Oregon)

Some are real technical, but they weren't having any fun!
[at one forum, they were bashing all the newbie questions without giving any good info! :mad: ]

This online community is actually a Community! :D
And I really appreciate that, which is why I am here. :cool:

-Now back to my normal random remarks-
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-11 9:38 PM (#61452 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Jewel's Mom:
--but when I seriously needed a hug last fall, I got about two dozen of them, and they were from all over the world.
Some of us (not me!) just wanted to rub up against a warm female chest....Mmmmmm.
sometimes bawdy, never boring place to be. For me, it's not so much about the "what" as it is the "who"--
And as long as I keep changing servers, no one will ever know.

Signed; The Decider
Doh!
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-11 9:38 PM (#61453 - in reply to #61358)

Omaha, thanks for sticking up for me on that "other" forum...yeah, I kinda hijacked the thread but it was getting kinda boring anyway. It's amazing how you can mention the name "Ovation" and people just starat attacking you, or they don't take you seriously. Geez!
I owned a Taylor, I loved it...traded it for something else, then got something else. all of them way more guitar than I ever could learn to play without looking like a poser. Frankly my favorite guitar is usually the one I'm holding. I just want my kid to have the guitar he wants rather than the one I think he should have. Funny thing is I've been asking him to play his since I gave it to him, while my Martin sits in it's "coffin"...eventually I will go back to her though. ;)
I tried to get into the Acoustic forum, and it was all about Taylor's and they were really rigid about posting, and it all had a pretty oppressive, heavy religiocity about it so it wasn't really my deal and I left. Reminded me of a bunch of guys with penis envy...
Here people are a little more laid back and accepting of other opinions. that's why I like it. Heck man, I would kill for that Taylor 514...Nancy Griffith played one in the 90's. very sweet guitar! again, more guitar than I will ever be able to play. I guess to sum it up my favorite guitar is the one in my hand, and the one in my hand these days has been an Ovation!
Cheers, Bill
PS: shout out to mtnbikerFred; I ride in Michigan. Great place to mtnbike, ivf you're ever out here gimmee a shout and I can direct you to some great locations! :)
Omaha
Posted 2008-01-11 10:25 PM (#61454 - in reply to #61358)

I've always got your back, bro.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 11:50 PM (#61455 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by mtnbikerfred:
I Double-Dog-Dare anyone going to NAMM to go downstairs to the R.Taylor booth, not the big, stupid Taylor Room upstairs. You will see some of the finest guitars that have been hand made by Bob's "dream team" of luthiers.

They ARE NOT Taylors...They are $10K+ guitars for $4-6K. I have a friend who has two. One is a prototype and the other is 10-2006, or the 10th one produced. His "old" guitar was a GA custom, no slouch as far as Taylors go. It might have well been an Estabahn. Hardly anyone evens talk about R.Taylors AFG. (Americas funniest guitars) :p :D :p :D
needed to read this again
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-12 1:12 AM (#61456 - in reply to #61358)

There's such a thing as a $10,000 "F"ing guitar!
Segovia didn't play a $10,000 "F"ing guitar!

Sorry. I just had to share that.
THOUGHT I SHOULDN'T SHOUT IT!
But there is SO MUCH Christmas liquor left over, y'know?

and it's Friday, 'n' all......
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-12 9:31 AM (#61457 - in reply to #61358)

If you don't like how those idiots on the Taylor board carry on, then don't go there. I don't. I've got something like 10 posts in 5 years. Every time I read their insecure sniveling crap two words come to my mind- "small penis".

Same goes for the guitars. If you don't like Taylor guitars, then don't buy them. I don't. People buy them for the name and because Taylor does a great job of marketing, advertising and artist relations. Big deal.

Everyone has an opinion. Here's mine - CLICK.

Dave
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)