The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12345
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation vs Taylor forum

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

BT717
Posted 2008-01-11 7:16 AM (#61358)
Subject: Ovation vs Taylor forum

Ok as a fairly new member I have not been as involved in this fan club as most of you, but I would like to make an observation.
As a guitar player who enjoys both Ovations and
Taylors equally, for different reasons and more specifcally for the tone of the guitars I first joined the Ovation Fan club and "recently" joined the Taylor forum. I have found that the "members" of the Ovation fan club are Nicer, more knowlegable and more "welcoming" to us Newbies then the other "forum". I know a "bunch" of you do not like Taylors due to their Expense and "snobbyness" portayed, But, I truly beleive that if there was a "contest" where someone was choosing between an Ovation and Taylor and they put one of each of the older members of each forum in a room with this person, that this person would walk out with the Ovation due to your knowledge of the guitar and overall personalities (I know , you all got me fooled!!)
Anyway, thanks for the "warm fuzzy's" :) :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-01-11 7:59 AM (#61359 - in reply to #61358)
Subject: Re: Ovation vs Taylor forum

We let anyone in here. ;) From the members that I have met personally, I would say you won't find a better bunch of people anywhere. Everyone I have been exposed to, would give you the shirt off their back. Many have sent me things I needed for free,(you know who you are) and I in turn have done the same. Beggin even invited me and my family into his house to stay overnight before he ever laid eyes on me. (now that he's seen me, he may change his mind the next time.) Capo guy has shown his hospitality more than once when we visit his area, Zilla, G8r, TRboy, Jas, Gway, Andrea,...the list goes on. If you ever get a chance to meet up with other members, make every effort to do it. You won't be disappointed. :cool:
Weaser P
Posted 2008-01-11 8:02 AM (#61360 - in reply to #61358)

"He LIKES us...he really LIKES us..!"
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-11 8:03 AM (#61361 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by BT717:
I know a "bunch" of you do not like Taylors due to their Expense and "snobbyness" portayed, ...
Expense and Snobbyness are not the reasons that I think Taylor guitars suck...

But you bring up some good points. Ovation (and Ovation owners) are a serious underdog and in any battle we need to be lean, mean, well prepared and really know our facts. As an underdog Ovation owners have to know a lot more abut other brands just to stay in the conversation. Taylor fans don't need to even know that Ovation exists. In the hypothetical example you pose, I absolutely agree with you that the buyer would walk out of the room with an Ovation in his hand. And if I was the Ovation sage involved, the Taylor guy would be left bleeding in the room with a finger jointed headstock shoved straight up has arse.

Welcome to the club.
Dave
Slipkid
Posted 2008-01-11 8:17 AM (#61362 - in reply to #61358)

Oh well, the "warm fuzzy" thing was great while it lasted. :)
Paulcc1
Posted 2008-01-11 8:35 AM (#61363 - in reply to #61358)

I want to say The Folks Here Are AWESOME!
Pauly
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-11 9:07 AM (#61364 - in reply to #61358)

Thanks for kind comments, BT. Another very important point to remember is that 99% of whatever apparently harsh words are posted here is nothing more than tongue-in-cheek ribbing between friends. There is a lot of inside humor in these threads, and don't ever take anything too seriously. For every Martin/Taylor/Gibson hater in the OFC, there is likely an equal or greater number of lovers of those same instruments here as well. We all appreciate the Ovation/Adamas line and you probably can now add brother Hamer and distant cousin Takamine to that group as well. There's a lot of other very fine instruments out there and many of us appreciate and own a number of them. However, we also have an appreciation, perhaps even a preference, for the Ovation family line and, dare I say, those who own them, which is why most of us are here in the first place.
BT717
Posted 2008-01-11 9:15 AM (#61365 - in reply to #61358)

In response to Trader Jim, I do hope to meet some or most of the members at the next OFC meeting in New Hartford. I am not the best Guitar player but feel you guys would put up with my playing. I have to admit though, I'm beginning to get a little concerned about Tupperware, He's starting to scare me a bit. Is he ok? stable mentally?? (LOL!!) I'm beginning think I should get a restraining order against him, you know he can't get within 20 ft of me and my Tay.....! At my age I allready have a "fat Ass" I don't need any thing else sticking out my back end!! LOL!!!
Hey Tup, your allowed your opinions!!
I am beginniing to believe that Taylors are you Upperclass snobs (along with another Major MFG I will not name due to fear for my own life lol!!) and Ovation is your solid "bluecollar" reliable work horse just like the OFC members
Thanks again
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-11 9:19 AM (#61366 - in reply to #61358)

Sally Field... heh-heh.

This place does have a certain... a certain....

umm....

... a certain, ehh...

well...

it's...

like...

"gaiety"
Beal
Posted 2008-01-11 9:23 AM (#61367 - in reply to #61358)

BT7171
I think you got it right with the Ova/Tay. Taylors are nice enough guitars and there are some good ones out there, I just don't like them. But I really don't like that "Better than you" attitude many of "those" people get.
Tuppy is OK, it's Standing Ovation you have to worry about, he's the unstable one!
alpep
Posted 2008-01-11 9:25 AM (#61368 - in reply to #61358)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by BT717:
I know a "bunch" of you do not like Taylors due to their Expense and "snobbyness" portayed, ...

so so so so wrong
I have played many and have yet to have one speak to me.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-01-11 9:47 AM (#61369 - in reply to #61358)

About Tup, I agree that he has a measure of insanity. For instance, when he buys something, he buys ten of them, then later gives them away on this forum. When crazy works in your favor, you don't mind it so much.
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-11 9:59 AM (#61370 - in reply to #61358)

I have to agree that it is a very kewl forum. It's funny, I posted an ovation related post on another forum and got totally attacked! It was kinda fun, sorta like hey man thou dost protest too much! But it is fun to trash talk a little and do a little trolling at times too. Hey I like a good argument like anyone else. I just used to be one of those guys who would never walk over to the "ovation" side of the shop ...it felt a little dirty. then I finally got the nerve to do it and bought the thing! Now I am experiencing that "new convert" thing...so my opinions aren't exactly based in very much fact or experience. However I do know music, and I know what a good sounding guitar sounds like and my son's 1778 Elite is great sounding!
Bill
PS: as for Taylors, great guitars. I have to say that my son was asked point blank if he would rather have a Taylor 214, and he looked at me with that "what you talkin' bout Willis" look...heh heh... :cool:
dobro
Posted 2008-01-11 10:00 AM (#61371 - in reply to #61358)

Also: many of us "imprinted" on the Ovation sound. What I mean is that, somewhere between Woodstock and MTV, we were blown away by outrageous guitar music coming out of Ovations EVERYWHERE: Glen, McLaughlin, Cat, the Wilsons, Croce, Chapin, Al Stuart, Di Meola, Coryell the list is endless. These monsters were not just gentle Martin folks, for the most part;they were in-your-face rockers, balladeers, and fusion guys. Ovation is "fused" with the explosion of the best popular music ever made!!
Northcountry
Posted 2008-01-11 10:00 AM (#61372 - in reply to #61358)

I played a Taylor at the shop on Wed. I know I know.....I strayed........... I have to admit it sounded great! In fact, depending upon the listener, it could be a coin flip against my Adamas ??
I have to admit It had a very full and rich sound, hands down a great wood guitar! but the model that had this sound also had a price tag at $4899 made me very happy with my 25 year old Adamas's once again.

Then I played a $450 Epiphone.................Dam I almost bought it right there! Sounded about as good as the Taylor or my O's and for the price a better working guitar than my $2000 adamas's are!

I don't knock the the Taylor guitars the way their owners turn their noses up at me. Ovations still get little respect amongst the musicians in my area but they don't say much to me. I have some pretty difficult songs in my set lists and at the end of the night most any of the guy's that play guitar who are still hanging around usually go out of their way to tell me they were amazed at the sound of my guitars because they were always told these ovations were junk! They just can't believe how good they are, unfortunatly ten minutes after they or I leave they forget this new found knowledge and go back to their Taylor in its case at home and bond and it all starts again the next day.

Randy
G8r
Posted 2008-01-11 10:05 AM (#61373 - in reply to #61358)

SSSHHHHH! We don't want everybody to know what an outstanding value Ovation & Adamas guitars are, it'll drive the prices up ;) .

Let the Taylor lovers sit around in their mutual masturbation society and congratulate each other for spending 5X what they need to on some wood and metal.
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-11 10:11 AM (#61374 - in reply to #61358)

Back on topic: The point is not Taylors or any other guitar brand. The point BT makes is that this is GREAT forum. And I know that everyone of us completely agrees on THAT. Welcome again.

Dave

PS - I'm really not a bad guy, honestly.

PSS - 50% of what I say is not true. 90% of what others say about me is not true.
BT717
Posted 2008-01-11 10:25 AM (#61375 - in reply to #61358)

He likes me, He REALLY likes me!!!!
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 10:25 AM (#61376 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Tupperware:
PSS - 50% of what I say is not true. 90% of what others say about me is not true.
The question is, which 50% does the second statement fall into?
Capo Guy
Posted 2008-01-11 10:27 AM (#61377 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Northcountry:

Then I played a $450 Epiphone.................Dam I almost bought it right there! Sounded about as good as the Taylor or my O's and for the price a better working guitar than my $2000 adamas's are!

Randy what model was it? I played a Masterbuilt EF-500M and was blown away by the sound. Very similar to a Martin OM, for a LOT LESS $$$.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-11 11:01 AM (#61378 - in reply to #61358)

I have been disappointed a couple of times by members of this board. Once was when I met Tupperware, or possibly his alter ego, Standing Ovation. I think I had built up a legendary figure in my mind, after looking at his gallery and reading his caustic remarks on this forum. When I visited his home I was expecting an Ovation version of Graceland. My wife was afraid to go in. Anyway, he turned out to be, I hate to say it, normal. He was pleasant. He even drove me miles out of the way to my parents' so that they didn't have to pick me up. My parents and wife commented that he seemed like a really nice guy. That was something totally unexpected.
The second person who disappointed me was Al. I had read numerous stories about Al packing guitar boxes with pizza boxes and beer wrappers. When I got the OFC guitar, I was looking forward to seeing what kind of pizza he ate and beer he drank. Since Al's Polish and lives in New Jersey, I was expecting some really exotic food wrappers. Kind of like reading the papers you find as packing material when you open a box from your grandparents' attic. Anyway, nothing. Just normal packing stuff. The guitar and all the other goodies were great, but the packing material was hardly the stuff of legends.
People don't understand why I spend so much time on this board. My entire career is spent dealing with egotistical jerks fighting each other. Why would I want to deal with people who have nothing in common except roundbacked guitars and being nice. Boooooorrrrrring.
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 11:06 AM (#61379 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
Why would I want to deal with people who have nothing in common except roundbacked guitars and being nice. Boooooorrrrrring.
Glad I was able to live up to your expectations.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-01-11 11:09 AM (#61380 - in reply to #61358)

Waskel, I think of you more as RESTful than boring.
cliff
Posted 2008-01-11 11:15 AM (#61381 - in reply to #61358)

There's a difference??
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-11 11:16 AM (#61382 - in reply to #61358)

Thanks, Jas. Bite me, Cliff.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)