The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12345
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Ovation vs Taylor forum

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

gulfcoast
Posted 2008-01-12 9:45 AM (#61458 - in reply to #61358)
Subject: Re: Ovation vs Taylor forum

Would someone(JeffW) go back and find Daves review of my old Taylor 710L9 and post it here please....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-12 9:47 AM (#61459 - in reply to #61358)

fillhix, good point. Ronaldhino didn't learn how to play soccer on 150.00 world cup balls eeither. More like some old clothing rolled up in a ball and ductaped.
...I'm lucky that I live in "Michigone" and still have the means to purchase any guitar at all!! I think we should all quit our jobs and go live with Tupperware, he seems to have enough guitars for evbody!! :D
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-12 10:14 AM (#61460 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by gulfcoast:
Would someone(JeffW) go back and find Daves review of my old Taylor 710L9 and post it here please....
I tried to delete that post! YES, gulf your guitar was nice. In fact it was THE NICEST TAYLOR I HAVE EVER PLAYED. But, I still didn't buy it from you even at that great price, did I.

No disrespect to your guitar, because it was indeed very, very nice. But digest what I just wrote - THE nicest Taylor I have ever played AND I still had NO desire to own it. To me that statement speaks volumes. Am I biased, absolutely. Am I discriminating against Taylors and maybe passing up a jewel in the haystcak? Sure. But I just catagorically don't like the whole stinking brand. Sorry.

I WILL say this, because I disagree with some other staements made about Taylor quality. From what I have seen Taylor quality workmanship is top notch. On the models I have looked at in detail the quality rivals the best in the business. OTHER companies that we are a lot more familiar with could take some lessons from Taylor. But I still would never want to own one.

Dave
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-12 10:18 AM (#61461 - in reply to #61358)

Mediocre guitars in the hands of true artists will sound like much more expensive guitars.

Here's an analogy. I once raced off-road motorcycles in the California high desert. Never very good, but I won some trophies and a few short-term endorsements. Later on, I took some lessons at the track and fancied myself as a pretty good track rider. About five years ago, I was trying out a $20,000 Ducati at the local track doing what I thought was an outstanding job of showing off my skills when one of the track pros went by me on an entry level Suzuki twin 600.

The saying on the track (and street) is that the best way to improve performance is to invest in the skills of the rider. I think this applies to guitar playing (and many other things) as well.
BT717
Posted 2008-01-12 10:48 AM (#61462 - in reply to #61358)

He guys /gals, The point of my post was how much I appreciated the OFC site. Not, what the better guitar was or is. That as stated many times is the owners or "players" disgresion. To get back on the subject, Thanks again for the Mostly positve support and acceptance.
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-12 10:54 AM (#61463 - in reply to #61358)

OFC Rule #14: Nothing beyond the first page of replies has any correlation to the original topic. This thread did better than most.

Welcome again BT, honestly you'll like it here.

Dave
Englishplayer
Posted 2008-01-12 11:58 AM (#61464 - in reply to #61358)

In regards to NEW guitars...

Without reading the 5 pages of comments, forgive me if I give an opinion already stated too many times. In the recent past, American made Ovations, for me, gave an excellent quality/sound/features per dollar value for me. With the current set of prices that is far less true than it was.
In general, I like the looks of Taylor guitars, so before I pick one up I want to like it. I'll pick up a 3 series .. looks good, feels good, sound not bad, price... 2-3 hundred too much for what you get.
The 5 and 7 series.... WAY too much for what you get. Wow looks, Wow quality, not Wow sound at a WOW, WOW, WOW price. I don't find this with Takamine higher level guitars, nor do I find this to be the case with Martin.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-12 1:38 PM (#61465 - in reply to #61358)

BT, most of us realize that the point of your thread was a comparison of the Ovation and Taylor forums, not the guitars. I'll get this back on track by saying that one of the interesting things about this forum is that nobody really cares too much about staying on track. There are almost no one track minds here. Most every post goes in different directions and, although some are fairly predictable, it is interesting to follow where people go with their conversations.
This board is like having a conversation among friends. I've often stopped those conversations and asked "How did we get on this topic?" With this board, I often have to scroll to the top and see how we got here. With an oral conversation you can't do that. Maybe the main difference between us and them is we're just chatting among friends here. The Ovations are just an excuse to get together.
G8r
Posted 2008-01-12 1:45 PM (#61466 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
Maybe the main difference between us and them is we're just chatting among friends here. The Ovations are just an excuse to get together.
Mark, you hit the nail on the head. Do the folks on the Taylor board have jams/gatherings like we seem to do all the time? True, we're gonna see & play some seriously nice Ovations, Adamii & others next weekend here, but the real reason for the get-together is a gathering of friends I've met, and friends I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting in person.
BT717
Posted 2008-01-12 2:54 PM (#61467 - in reply to #61358)

No problemo!! I hear what you are saying.
Slipkid
Posted 2008-01-12 3:24 PM (#61468 - in reply to #61358)

It's cool how questions, issues & ideas here on the OFC are quickly addressed and talked though and then allowed to stray where they may.
The tail end of any thread may have no relation to the topic, but you can be sure the starting topic has played itself out.

BTW.. I have played a few Taylors that I really liked. But there are other wood box guitars I would buy before any of them.
stephent28
Posted 2008-01-12 5:17 PM (#61469 - in reply to #61358)

Originally posted by Tupperware:
OFC Rule #14: Nothing beyond the first page of replies has any correlation to the original topic. This thread did better than most.

Welcome again BT, honestly you'll like it here.

Dave
OFC Rule #17: Supersedes rule #14 in 47.8% of the cases where the original topic disintegrates BEFORE the first page reaches the halfway point.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)