The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Bridge saddle height

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> Ovation Electric GuitarsMessage format

daveed
Posted 2014-08-27 7:29 PM (#493704)
Subject: Bridge saddle height

i've got my 2 pickup Viper almost finished. However, I think I may have an issue with the saddle heights. I have the black plastic designed bridge. Here is the question, it looks (to my eyes) that the strings do not mirror the radius curvature of the fingerboard radius. The more I look at it the B string is lower than the high E string. Is there an order, arrangement? Tried to take a picture, but it just doesn't come show it. Any advice would be appreciated.

dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2014-08-28 2:00 AM (#493728 - in reply to #493704)
Subject: Re: Bridge saddle height

Does your bridge and saddles look like this?

Just so we are talking about the same thing.

Have you tried swapping the B saddle with the E saddle?
And Yes, there is an order (I am guessing).
I have never taken one apart, but I would guess that that tallest saddles go in the middle.

I hope that helps.
daveed
Posted 2014-08-28 5:53 AM (#493734 - in reply to #493728)

Yep, we are talking the same type of bridge. I'm tempted to disassembled the unit and re-arrange if necessary. The pain would be re-setting the intonation. It almost looks like someone has swapped the high end with the low end. I bought this guitar used. I guess more research and pictures are in order before I do the swap. Yes, I did the B/E swap, and no difference was seen.
daveed
Posted 2014-08-28 8:19 AM (#493741 - in reply to #493734)

I compared the bridge on the 2 pickup model with my viper 3, and there is a difference. Seems that I am missing the two middle saddles, which have have the widest base and are the tallest. Anyone out there have a black plastic type bridge for the model 1271 they be willing to sell? I would like to get this project done. It plays fine, just isn't right. Drop me an message or email if you have a spare one and would part with it.

dc
daveed
Posted 2014-08-29 11:38 AM (#493794 - in reply to #493704)
Subject: RE: Bridge saddle height

Here is the bridge in question. There is a about an 1/8 inch gap separating the high end from the low end. It looks like (compared to the my other viper) that I am missing another wide base saddle. I get the feeling that this bridge doesn't have a complete correct set. Anyone have any replacement set or complete bridge they would be willing to sale me?

Dave

(viperbridge1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments viperbridge1.jpg (142KB - 0 downloads)
FlySig
Posted 2014-08-29 6:13 PM (#493807 - in reply to #493704)

My daughter's Preacher has the same bridge as you Viper. There appear to be 3 pairs of saddles. The high and low E have the same saddle (but turned 180 degrees from each other), the A and B strings have identical saddles which are slightly taller than the E - E saddles, and then the middle two strings have the fatter saddles which are the tallest.

You do seem to be missing one of the fat saddles under the D string.
daveed
Posted 2014-08-30 11:50 AM (#493829 - in reply to #493704)

Well, that makes me feel better I am not seeing things. Trying to find a replacement bridge isn't the easiest thing to do. I have some feelers out, but nothing firm yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

dave
daveed
Posted 2014-09-12 5:52 PM (#494163 - in reply to #493704)
Subject: RE: Bridge saddle height

My bridge problem is fixed. I emailed Mr. Budny. He had the newer Schaller Bridge in his inventory, and the rest is history. It's installed, and it works just fine. Eventually, I will go up to the neighborhood machine shop and see if they can make me a duplicate of the saddle I am missing. Kudos to John for the assist. Finally got around to taking pics of my Viper 3 and 2 pickup model. The 2 pickup model needed new tuners, a fret job, some pickguard screws, and of course the bridge.

(viperpair4.jpg)

(viperpair1.jpg)

(viperpair3.jpg)

(viperpair2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments viperpair4.jpg (34KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments viperpair1.jpg (40KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments viperpair3.jpg (36KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments viperpair2.jpg (36KB - 0 downloads)
FlySig
Posted 2014-09-14 9:54 AM (#494179 - in reply to #493704)

Nice pair!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)