The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Greetings from Orlando

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

CoolChip
Posted 2011-01-21 7:09 AM (#2194)
Subject: Greetings from Orlando

Just found this board after playing Ovations for over 25 years ! Didn't know there is a big group here.

I found its amazing that there are too many varieties on Ovations. Identifying them is becoming a chore.

Currently I have three round backs. The first is a Celebrity sunburst unknown model (no cutaway with passive pizeo pickup with rotating vol/tone knobs) acquired over 25 years ago in Hong Kong. The second is a SMT 1597w bought in 2000 in North Carolina while MARS was still in business. The last but not least is an Applause AE36 cutaway with pretty much same electronics as my Celebrity that I acquired in GC two weeks ago.

I cannot find any information on my Celebrity. It has a standard Ovation headstock but instead of the label Ovation, it prints "Celebrity" over there. I have never seen another one like this. Peeking into the sound hole, there is no label found. Only the serial number sticky. I have mod quite a bit on this guitar. The original pickup was replaced with Dean Markley "Sweet spot" with a homebrew FET preamp. New endpin jack installed (like the location better than the jack on the bowl).

My SMT needs fret work. They are worn. I don't know if I should send it back to mothership for the work or find somebody local. I'm afraid it will be messed up by local person but I'm sure the factory will get it done right. I think the turn around time with the factory can be months.

The newly acquired AE-36 was the one I fell in love with at once in GC. I think it is probably around 30 years old. Plays fine with good intonation and loud volume. Originally when plugging in, low E has little volume. The saddle was found not flat. A quick sanding fixed the problem. Now there is a little metal buzzing sound down there (not fret buzzing). The two treble strings have less ringing compare to my other ovations especially picking from below. I am still troubleshooting but I think it is very possible the bottom of the saddle slot is not perfectly flat therefore causing poor contact and the piezo element (with metal casing) is buzzing inside.

Well, apologize for the long winded first post. I'd like to have access right to posting in the B.B. as well.

If you guys have ideas as to how to check for flatness at the bottom of the saddle, please feel free to reply. I'd like to make diagnose before I take it to a lurthier.

Can I put pics into gallery and put links here ?

-Chip
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2011-01-21 12:50 PM (#2195 - in reply to #2194)
Subject: Re: Greetings from Orlando

Hi Chip,

I found this site when I was searching for a place to do a fret job as well, welcome. I eneded up taking the advice of the members and sent my UKII (solidbody electric) in. They did a fabulous job.

You can now post in the forum, and yes, you can insert pics into posts.

Damon
CoolChip
Posted 2011-01-21 2:32 PM (#2196 - in reply to #2194)

Thank you Damon !

BTW, when I asked how to check for flatness at the bottom of the saddle, I mean the bottom inside the "saddle slot".

-Chip
Bass_Medic_05
Posted 2011-02-12 5:52 PM (#2197 - in reply to #2194)

New here too, but good to meet you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)