The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation in GC Flier - GCS771-4CK WC?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

darc
Posted 2008-01-14 11:28 AM (#60778)
Subject: Ovation in GC Flier - GCS771-4CK WC?

Hi guys,

I haven't been around these parts in a long while, but I'm in the market for a new acoustic and so questions are starting to pop up. For instance:

A recent sales flier from Guitar Center features a "Grade-A Cedard Top Ovation with Thinline Pickup and OP-30 Preamp" for $699. The photo shows a round soundhole, ebony fingerboard (no inlays) and slotted head stock, which doesn't look like any import I've ever seen. Does anyone know anything about this guitar? Model number is GCS771-4CK WC. US or import? Does the photo even correspond with the model number? (GC is frequently half-random about details like that.)

I've been considering a new Folklore, but also considering a low-cost guitar to hold me over for a while, so naturally this picture caught my eye. Is it worth enduring a trip to GC, or is it just the typical bait and switch?)

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-14 11:53 AM (#60779 - in reply to #60778)
Subject: Re: Ovation in GC Flier - GCS771-4CK WC?

I saw the same ad and went to GC, but they didn't have anything remotely like the picture. I noticed some fine print somewhere that the photos may not be the actual guitar. I didn't ask any of the salespeople, because, based on past experience, they wouldn't know the answer and it would take too much time to find out they didn't know as much as I did.
I thought the 771 was an Elite style guitar with a regular headstock and neck, but a cedar top.
BluesSailor
Posted 2008-01-14 12:17 PM (#60780 - in reply to #60778)

I think what you are describing is a S771 (Std. Balladeer) w/ cedar top, 14 fret neck, made specifically for the GC. This makes it a mid-bowl cut-away. Whether that works for you is a personal decision.

$700...If it speaks to you, not a bad deal. Others on this board like this guitar a lot. Keep an eye on Ebay too. Pick one up on the cheap if you like it.

Blues

(Mark - GET BACK TO WORK!)
darc
Posted 2008-01-14 1:33 PM (#60781 - in reply to #60778)

Thanks for the info guys. This is pretty much what I expected based on web searches etc. Am I correct in assuming that this is an import?

I guess I'll have to just bite the bullet and drive out and play one. But at $700, chances are I'll decide to go the extra distance and get the guitar I really want. (If I do pick up something cheap in the interim, the Martin 00CX I played yesterday is a strong contender. That little guitar really surprised me!)
BluesSailor
Posted 2008-01-14 2:17 PM (#60782 - in reply to #60778)

Darc,

The S771 (and the GC sister) is an American made guitar.

As far as alternative guitars, I'm hearing consistantly good things about Epiphone Masterbuilt Series guitars. $600-$700 gets you a guitar that plays well alongside the big names.

Check em out!

Blues
BT717
Posted 2008-01-14 3:11 PM (#60783 - in reply to #60778)

Hey Darc,
Where are you in Ct? If you want answer me on my
Personal E-mail

Bob
Randy22
Posted 2008-01-14 6:52 PM (#60784 - in reply to #60778)

I have one and I like it. I didn't pay anywhere near $700 a year ago. Also, their website usually has some used for a couple hundred less.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)