The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Missed It?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

bpeder
Posted 2011-01-28 5:13 PM (#2136)
Subject: Missed It?

I was looking at that recent posting about the '09 Collectors FKoa on eBay... I wish I had seen that when it was live!

How often do those show up? Sure would like one. Oh well...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2011-01-28 6:47 PM (#2137 - in reply to #2136)
Subject: Re: Missed It?

Keep your eyes open. They'll show up on occasion.
bpeder
Posted 2011-01-28 7:44 PM (#2138 - in reply to #2136)

Here's another question - that guy out in NJ selling the Lost Art Koa Ovations - is that really a $2,100.00 guitar?
Waskel
Posted 2011-01-28 8:07 PM (#2139 - in reply to #2136)

Yes.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2011-01-29 1:06 AM (#2140 - in reply to #2136)

I only paid $2000 for mine, but it has two less frets.
bpeder
Posted 2011-01-29 10:05 AM (#2141 - in reply to #2136)

Are the two frets at the top of the finger board, or are they at the top of the neck where they are actually usable?
Waskel
Posted 2011-01-29 10:13 AM (#2142 - in reply to #2136)

Actually Mark's missing frets came from the bottom of the neck...
bpeder
Posted 2011-01-29 10:14 AM (#2143 - in reply to #2136)

Are the two frets at the top of the finger board, or are they at the top of the neck where they are actually usable?
Waskel
Posted 2011-01-29 10:31 AM (#2144 - in reply to #2136)

Which "two frets" are we talking about here?
bpeder
Posted 2011-01-29 10:53 AM (#2145 - in reply to #2136)

"Bottom of the neck.." That's funny! If the cutaway was somehow deeper, that would give you two frets you could reach without having to go into thumb position.

This Lost Arts fingerboard has an extended contoured top end, and I wonder what use two frets are at that extreme end of the fingerboard? Maybe this is a well understood issue be most folks, but not me?
Waskel
Posted 2011-01-29 11:32 AM (#2146 - in reply to #2136)

If you're asking, are they are functional frets on the fretboard, then yes. I can reach them, though I rarely have a need to. If they extended all they way across to the bass strings (as most non-tapered acoustic fretboards do), that would be silly.

By 'bottom' of the neck I meant the tuner end. My (and Mark's) are the 12 fret-to-the-body version, with the neck set further into the body and the bridge further into the lower bout.
bpeder
Posted 2011-01-29 1:05 PM (#2147 - in reply to #2136)

Yeah, tuner end. That's why I got a chuckle out of you jolly jokers! My one and only Ovation - a Pacemaker 12 is twelve frets to the body.

It won't be the one and only for long - I'm just waiting for the gentleman in NJ to respond to my final offer, and I'll be joining your club.

My but that's a lovely guitar! I'm a sucker for Koa and when I found that offer while searching around for a '99 collectors, I just fell in love. If it sounds as good as it looks, it won't even have to retain its value. I'll just love owning and playing it. I'll have three days to decide if I can't live without it.

I'd enjoy hearing you guys talk about your LAVG Koas a bit more if you get the chance... Thanks!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2011-01-29 1:19 PM (#2148 - in reply to #2136)

Do a search and you should find enough on the LAV Koa to keep you busy for the weekend. I also had a 99 Collector. The LAV Koa sounds better. Both have a bit more sharp sound, rather than the mellow sound of spruce or cedar. The Koa takes some time to open up. The 99 probably wouldn't ever open up, since it's a laminate top. If I was buying a guitar for the looks alone, I'd probably keep the 99, but I didn't and bought the LAV Koa.
I really like the looks of the 09 Collector. I like the looks of centerhole guitars, but the LAV is definitely unique and I like the looks of the blowhole a lot more than the epaulet they used for the 06 Collector.
And I was glad to see I caused some confusion over the sarcastic comment about the missing frets. I never play above the 10th fret, but the cutaway allows room for my hand for a barre chord at the 10th fret. My other 12 fretters don't.
Waskel
Posted 2011-01-29 1:39 PM (#2149 - in reply to #2136)

Originally posted by bpeder:
If it sounds as good as it looks, it won't even have to retain its value.
It does.

I'll just love owning and playing it.
You will.

Mine came to me as a ploy to keep me from constantly posting a pic of me playing one at the factory tour where they were showing us the protos, cleverly disguised as a very generous gift from many of the members here.
Alpep (Lost Art Vintage) brilliantly conceived the idea of having 12 of each (14 fret and 12 fret) custom made. Thanks Al.
This is a one of a kind (well, 12 of a kind) guitar. Mine is opening up very nicely, and is my primary guitar for fingerstyle.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2011-01-29 1:45 PM (#2150 - in reply to #2136)

We need to have another NW Gathering and compare. Might even have to invite MWoody to campare a 14 fretter.
bpeder
Posted 2011-01-29 3:15 PM (#2151 - in reply to #2136)

Thanks guys! Al has accepted my offer. I am having some difficulty with his site though. I'm on a Mac/Firefox and I can't seem to get his shopping cart to work.

I'm standing by for him to call, but he is dealing with some family issues today so I'm leaving that up to his own convenience.

It sounds like he is a straight up cat to deal with, no?

I am actually a string bassist so I have some experience of my own with new instruments opening up. I have a hybrid bass that just blossomed over a period of several years, and now growls like Gandhi's stomach. Even laminated basses will breathe better to a certain extent, but not like a carved instrument where the grain can vibrate uninhibited.

I'm not sure if the guitar Al has pictured on his site is the one I will be receiving, but if so, it sure is a beauty!

That solid Koa top and all the tortoise trim - the unmarked ebony fingerboard, buttons and bridge, the 'lil skunk stripe in the neck - are just so understated and attractive. I too, like the center holes and the '99 custom has that Celtic knot thing that is way cool, but the "blowhole" as it was called is neat too. Ovations are very no-traditional guitars and why not get way out there is what I say. That's part of their charm!

I never played an Ovation I did not at least like, and most I have respected highly. I guess if you don't think anything can beat a Gibson, or you are a dyed in the wool Martin or Guild fan you might not even look twice at these guitars, but I have been into them since '77 when I got my Pacemaker 12. I'm hoping that Al and I can do business yet this weekend. He told me he would ship Monday if the payment does not twig.

In the meantime I'll do that search and see if there really is a weekend's worth of threads on this particular line of Ovations. Thanks for your input!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2011-01-29 4:23 PM (#2152 - in reply to #2136)

Al will give you the straight scoop. We've had some expensive phone calls.
I think we were talking about the 99 Collector when you meant to be talking about the 2009 Collector. The 09 and 06 Collectors were koa.
bpeder
Posted 2011-01-29 4:34 PM (#2153 - in reply to #2136)

Al just sent a link to his SSL and the deed is done. I have asked him for a serial number - but I'm guessing this was the last of the 14 fret models, so... 12/12(?)

Thanks again to members who posted at this thread. Your words helped me to pull the trigger! I'll try to get some pictures up as soon as I can. Now comes the wait...
standing
Posted 2011-01-29 4:36 PM (#2154 - in reply to #2136)

I'm on a Mac/Firefox and I can't seem to get his shopping cart to work.
Did you try Safari?

It sounds like he is a straight up cat to deal with, no?
Yes, he is, absolutely…

Ovations are very no-traditional guitars and why not get way out there is what I say. That's part of their charm!

I never played an Ovation I did not at least like, and most I have respected highly.
You'll fit right in here, don't be a stranger after you get the guitar…

He told me he would ship Monday if the payment does not twig.
I'm sure you already know better, but just a reminder; don't be too hasty to open a cold box in a warm house in January in Minnesota. Sudden temperature changes are tough on guitars. If you do a search here (or any guitar-geek site) you'll find advice about allowing guitars to slowly acclimate by leaving them inside and unopened in the carton and/or case for a fair amount of time before pulling them out the first time… but you already knew that… ;)

Welcome to the OFC…
bpeder
Posted 2011-01-29 4:38 PM (#2155 - in reply to #2136)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
I think we were talking about the 99 Collector when you meant to be talking about the 2009 Collector. The 09 and 06 Collectors were koa.
I guess so... the '09 Collector was the Koa topped sweetie with abalone binding and Celtic knot center sound hole, no?
G8r
Posted 2011-01-29 4:41 PM (#2156 - in reply to #2136)

Originally posted by Waskel:
Mine came to me as a ploy to keep me from constantly posting a pic of me playing one at the factory tour where they were showing us the protos, cleverly disguised as a very generous gift from many of the members here.
It wasn't the pics so much as the constant whining that pushed us to buy it for you. Only way we could think of to get you to shut up about it.

bpeder - congrats on the guitar, it's a keeper. And I wouldn't buy an Ovation or Adamas (or Takamine) from anybody but Al.
bpeder
Posted 2011-01-29 4:48 PM (#2157 - in reply to #2136)

@standing... Absolutely have I been down that road! I'll be very careful. The UPS truck will be cold and we do have another Alberta clipper coming next week.

Cold is not the Devil so much as abrupt changes in temperature. Constant healthy humidity is the biggie in winter when forced air heat and outdoor dryness combine to wreak havoc on fine instruments.

My guitar room stays cool here at home and the humidity is automatically kept at 45% for all my instruments. I wish I had learned that lesson years ago as my Pacemaker 12 has some nasty cracks in it. I posted about that earlier. Damp-its do not work so well as a good humidifier with an automatic digital humidistat

Rather than spend the money to have it re-topped/bowled, I just decided to buy a brand new guitar. From what I hear in my thread, I am going to be one happy camper when I get my paws on the new LAVG Koa 14 fret. Yippee!
Waskel
Posted 2011-01-29 4:58 PM (#2158 - in reply to #2136)

Originally posted by G8r:
It wasn't the pics so much as the constant whining that pushed us to buy it for you. Only way we could think of to get you to shut up about it.
It worked. Now I'm pining for an OFCII....
Gallerinski
Posted 2011-01-29 6:54 PM (#2159 - in reply to #2136)

You will LOVE the guitar. I own both - #8 of the 12 fret and #8 of the 14 fret. They are amazing specimens of the genius that is Alpep.

Congratulations
Nick B.
Posted 2011-01-29 7:44 PM (#2160 - in reply to #2136)

Thanks guys! Al has accepted my offer...
...It sounds like he is a straight up cat to deal with, no?
Absolutely. His support after the sale is great too. The worst thing Al's ever done to me is answer his phone and sell me guitars at a great price. Damn him! ;)

Congratulations on the new guitar!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)