The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Old Ovation input

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

llusory
Posted 2011-01-31 2:26 AM (#2129)
Subject: Old Ovation input

Greetings,

I have a 1980 Anniversary Edition Ovation acoustic/electric I have loved since I got it in 1980. Have put it away and not played it sometimes for years at a time, but always come back to it, and it has been played a lot as well.

For awhile I've been noticing that any guitar cable I plug into it makes loud awful noises when ever I move the guitar on my lap and/or accidentally even touch the cable plug end. The sound other than that is fine. And yes, I've replaced the battery. Mostly I use cords with angled plugs because of the location of the input jack, but I've tried various guitar cords. it's really makIng it impossible to play my guitar electric. What a bummer. Anybody have this happen and know the solution? Have guitar cords all just become that bad?

I'd appreciate any help on this, thanks...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2011-01-31 10:20 AM (#2130 - in reply to #2129)
Subject: Re: Old Ovation input

Welcome.

Probably just as simple as the prongs on the jack have separated over the years and they don't make tight contact with the plug, or a loose wire connecting to the jack.

Next string change, stick one hand inside the guitar to hold the jack and unscrew the nut from the outside to release the jack. Pull it out thru the soundhole and inspect. If a wire or wires look like they aren't well connected, re-solder them. Member MolonLabe had a recent post in the General section that describes proper soldering technique. Bend the prongs closer together so they make good, solid contact with the plug when you insert the cord. Re-install the jack, re-string and test it out. That should take care of the problem, but if it doesn't you may just need to replace the jack (available at any music store).
Glen C.
Posted 2011-01-31 10:20 AM (#2131 - in reply to #2129)
Subject: Re: Old Ovation input

Sounds like a worn output socket. You can take it out and bend the contacts so they make better contact with the plug or replace it. Not a hard job if you can solder.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)