The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Fret glue?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

FlySig
Posted 2014-05-24 9:52 AM (#487052)
Subject: Fret glue?

The idea of supergluing in frets seems extreme to me, but it appears to be the standard these days. Opinions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DanSavage
Posted 2014-05-24 12:04 PM (#487053 - in reply to #487052)
Subject: Re: Fret glue?

Super glue, aka CA, is okay. If you use the thin stuff it can wick all over the place, so care must be taken. This can be an advantage because you can wick the glue into an already assembled glue joint. For frets, I would insert the fret into the slot, then apply the thin CA to the side of the fret where it meets the fingerboard, and let it wick into the slot.

Unlike epoxy, CA can't be softened with heat, so other methods must be used if you want to remove the frets. Luckily, most CA is pretty brittle, and since it relies on mechanical means to get a grip on non-porous materials, such as metal, the bond can be broken. You can also use acetone to dissolve the CA, though it may also remove/discolor any stain applied to the fingerboard.

Several of the ends of the frets on my 1619 have pulled partially out of their slots, so I'll need to push/hammer them back down. If they are stubborn about staying down, I'll probably glue them into place with CA.
FlySig
Posted 2014-05-24 1:27 PM (#487055 - in reply to #487052)

Thanks, Dan. One guitar has evidence of a failed attempt to glue one fret down with CA. Perhaps other frets on these guitars have CA hidden under there, too.

Do you recommend CA for every fret when re-fretting?
DanSavage
Posted 2014-05-24 6:43 PM (#487074 - in reply to #487052)

I believe the factory uses epoxy to glue the frets. I seem to remember reading in 'The Book' that they used glue to keep the frets from rattling or popping up.

CA would be good to use if the fret won't stay down on its own, or if the fret slot is too loose.

On the guitar that has a failed glue joint, I would make sure the slot isn't clogged with glue. If it is, then you'll need to pull the fret and clean the slot.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)