The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Balladeer Deluxe 12-String, Shiny Bowl Re-built in New Hartford For Sale!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Patch
Posted 2014-05-19 3:59 PM (#486890)
Subject: Balladeer Deluxe 12-String, Shiny Bowl Re-built in New Hartford For Sale!

I have had this guitar for sale on another thread, but it was woefully lacking in pictures. And there has been one more minor bit of re-furbishment that may turn out to be crucial from a historical-accuracy point of view.

First and foremost, let me say that the sound generated by this guitar is absolutely AWESOME!!!!

It is one of the best sounding 12-strings I have ever played. But I have two other 12'ers and a bill that needs paying, so as has happened to so many of us, something has to give.

This was originally a 1968 Balladeer Deluxe 12-string that someone sent to the factory with a bad top. They did their usual magic and completely replaced the top/bowl assembly built to 1968 specs. It even has a hand-made (according to John Budny) '68 style bridge, though it looks to be walnut versus rosewood. It has my favorite configuration for a 12-string; namely 12 frets to the body, and a neck profile unlike any Ovation I've played before. It is slightly more rounded and shallow in profile than modern necks. This results in a "meatier" feel that suits my hands very well, and the action is effortless. I cannot imagine anyone who would not be impressed by the tone and playability of this instrument.

The only nod to the modern world of Ovations is the factory installation of a direct out pre-amp through the endpin a la the Folklore Deluxe.

In other words, it is safe to say there is not another one like it anywhere!

Now for....the rest of the story.....

I was informed a bit back that it was too similar to a Pacemaker, of which there are plenty to be found on the market, to gain any good traction as far as a sale goes. That same someone said that the new label in it further drove home that perception since it actually said 1115 Pacemaker. I'm embarassed to admit that I never read the label, but I immediately knew it was wrong on several counts. Not the least of which was that the original guitar was too old to be a Pacemaker and it was not acoustic-only as the model number suggested.

So I consulted with John Budny again. (DANGIT TO YOUKNOWWHERE! I'm gonna miss those guys!)

He not only agreed about the mis-labelling, but came up with a mock-up for a more period-appropriate label! I've got to say, changing the label should not make such a difference. But it does! To my eyes at least, the guitar just looks....well....."RIGHT" now. It just fits with the old-style bridge and the old, thicker-padelled headstock.

The instrument has effortless action, killer looks, and drop-dead sound! Other than a VERY, minor blemish here or there and a small scuff on the back, it looks incredible! If you are more than 2 feet away, the guitar looks perfect. The 45 YO neck, while showing some age, is in rock-solid condition aesthetically and functionally.

It comes with a hardshell case, and I'm asking $1000 + shipping, or if you live near enough, I will consider driving to meet you instead of trusting this to the tender ministries of the USPS. I am willing to ship overseas as long as we can work out all the details. I might consider a trade plus cash for something interesting, but I have to clear enough to pay the aforementioned bill.

As a final FWIW, when I asked John Budny what its replacement value was way back when I got it, he said a new one would run $3000. Sadly, those days are gone. So this is the only one there will be. Get it while you can.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2014-05-21 9:19 AM (#486966 - in reply to #486890)
Subject: RE: Balladeer Deluxe 12-String, Shiny Bowl Re-built in New Hartford For Sale!

paofab
Posted 2014-05-29 11:21 AM (#487234 - in reply to #486890)
Subject: Re: Balladeer Deluxe 12-String, Shiny Bowl Re-built in New Hartford For Sale!

Wonderful guitar. It's a pity that my wallet be so small...
moody, p.i.
Posted 2014-05-29 11:54 AM (#487236 - in reply to #486890)
Subject: Re: Balladeer Deluxe 12-String, Shiny Bowl Re-built in New Hartford For Sale!

Hey Patch, don't want to buy your 12 string, but shoot me over an email moody dot pi @ cox dot net . Want to share something with you.....
Patch
Posted 2014-05-29 1:48 PM (#487238 - in reply to #486890)
Subject: RE: Balladeer Deluxe 12-String, Shiny Bowl Re-built in New Hartford For Sale!

BAIT!

Cool!

Email sent.

(I'd make a lousy fish....)

Patch
Posted 2014-06-19 3:22 PM (#487873 - in reply to #486890)

I figured I would give Craig's List a shot. Here's the ad.

Please don't make me go to you-know-where-bay.....

Any offers? Interesting trades?

Patch
Posted 2014-07-30 11:11 AM (#490992 - in reply to #486890)

I can't believe this guitar is still hanging around!

Let's try to shake things up a bit as I need some cash:

$900 shipped in the US.

If you have any of the following, we might be able to work out a trade and/or cash deal:

(I'm not really interested in anything with finish cracks, but a small ding or two is OK.)

• 2001 Collector's
  • 2002 Collectors
  • 1658 12-string
  • EA-68 Viper
  • 2006 Collectors
  • 2005 Collectors
  • 2007 Collectors
  • There may be others, so it never hurts to ask.
john bange
Posted 2014-07-31 10:40 AM (#491009 - in reply to #490992)

I really am trying...had a banjo for sale for months
john bange
Posted 2014-08-10 2:21 PM (#491250 - in reply to #491009)

pm with offer sent
Patch
Posted 2014-08-10 7:39 PM (#491259 - in reply to #486890)

I sent a reply John. Let me know.

Patch

john bange
Posted 2014-08-10 8:30 PM (#491260 - in reply to #491259)

money sent...thank you
john
Patch
Posted 2014-08-10 8:57 PM (#491263 - in reply to #486890)

Sold!

Donation sent to the OFC.

Thanks John.

john bange
Posted 2014-08-19 4:56 PM (#492435 - in reply to #491263)

loudest Ovation 12 string I have ever heard...thank you very much...better than advertised
Patch
Posted 2014-08-20 11:58 PM (#492479 - in reply to #486890)

It's a special guitar for sure. I'm glad it traveled cross-country without incident.

Play it in good health and thanks again!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)