The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New player....old Ovation with setup questions.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

DubfromGA
Posted 2014-04-29 1:27 PM (#485954)
Subject: New player....old Ovation with setup questions.

DubfromGA - 2014-04-27 8:51 AM

Quick backstory: My 14 yo son and I have recently started taking lessons. We are having a blast together. He's playing a new electric and acoustic that I bought for him....I'm playing a new electric that is iconic from the days when I was 14. Add to that two new amps and lesson costs and I've strained my fun money for a while.

I really wanted a new acoustic and had more difficulty zeroing in on the one I wanted....but finally made the decision. It's going to be a little while before I'm ready to shell out the funds for it, though.

A friend whose played for years texted me yesterday while I was at work. He said he'd been over to a guys house in response to a CL add for some nearly new wireless systems. He said the guy was selling three different acoustics, amps and other gear.

One of the acoustics was an older model Ovation that he was asking very little for. My friend played it and thought it make a good one for me to use in the meantime. It also came with an Ovation fitted hard case.

I picked the guitar up on my way home from work yesterday.

It sounds great when amped and feels really good in my hands. Looks aren't bad either, according to the wife. I also like the cutaway.

Good looks are a plus because she'll not gripe if I leave it on the stand next to my main leisure chair. Sure will be nice to have in arms reach so I can practice the chords and exercises my teacher has me doing. Side note here: I thought I had strong hands until my lessons began. I can't get over how bad my left thumb burns when making chords. It's funny because I'm known for having a crushing handshake and towering over most people. My instructor is a foot and a half shorter than me, yet has me about to cry "Uncle" by the end of the sessions. It's getting much easier, though.

On to my 3 questions.......

1) The string height is significantly higher than my sons new acoustic (I love the feel of his) and I have to address this in order for this guitar to stick around and be of use for me.

It's Sunday and the guitar shops are closed and my buddy will be tied up most of the day. Will some minor tweaks on the truss rod perhaps bring the relief down and close to the realm of where I'm hoping to get it?

2) I also don't care for the strings on it. They feel more like cables than strings. We're running (.009 - .046) on our new electrics and my son's acoustic has (.012-.052) which feel okay. Since I'm going to have to make adjustments to the guitar anyway....can you recommend some good strings that feel good....especially with a beginner in mind? The stings on the Taylor's I've tried feel really, really nice to me.

3) What else can you tell me about the guitar?

Age?

If I'm not mistaken....this thing was made at a time when I was almost my son's age. I had a buddy back then who started playing at that time and his Ovation seemed eerily similar.

Anyway....sorry for the long post. I was very enthused to get a guitar that, if set up properly for me, could meet my immediate needs as one that I can keep at arms reach and grab it when desired to work on my technique and hand conditioning. There are no worries if it gets bumped or nudged by the dogs, vacuum cleaner and etc as I have very little in it and can certainly get my cash out of it when the time comes to upgrade later on down the road.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2014-04-29 2:03 PM (#485958 - in reply to #485954)
Subject: Re: New player....old Ovation with setup questions.

You would need to lower the string height at the saddle.
Carefully remove the saddle and check to see if there are any shims under it.
Yours has a different style saddle than THIS VIDEO, but you will get the idea of how it's done.

If that doesn't work you could shave the saddle, or cut slots in it.
(a previous owner did that to my Celebrity CC29S)

You should do this carefully.
Also, I would be sure that I had another saddle/pickup before I did this.
That looks like CP-100 "Thinline" Pickup Saddle (assuming that it hasn't been changed).

It is possible that your guitar may have a separate piezo pickup under that saddle.
That would have been an aftermarket change, but anything is possible.
If that is true, then you could sand the bottom of the saddle down to lower the strings.

Maybe someone with better ideas will come along with more helpful advice.
FlySig
Posted 2014-04-29 3:14 PM (#485961 - in reply to #485954)

To check the truss rod hold down one of the strings at the 1st fret and also at the 13th fret. The string should just barely have air between it and the top of the 6th fret. You can try tapping the string onto the 6th fret with a finger from your third hand and see if you can feel it hit the fret. It should be barely perceptible. With reading glasses I can just barely see daylight in the gap. Somewhere on the internet you can find specs for a typical distance, called "relief", but you can get as good a check with your eyeballs as with a calibrated thickness gauge.

If there is too much relief, tighten the truss rod. Try 1/4 turn and see how much of a change there is. If you need more, try another 1/4 turn. I don't like to do more than 1/2 turn in a day because the wood takes a little time to react and settle in. You don't want to force anything or break anything.

If the relief is correct, it is correct. If there are still problems, the issue is somewhere else. Try the same tap test at the first fret. Hold down a string between the 2nd and 3rd frets and see how much space there is above the 1st fret. There should barely be any space there. A bit more if you're strumming chords. Not much space, though. Adjusting the nut slots is not a beginner job. If the action is way too high there, have a pro make the adjustment for you. It's easy to bugger a nut or scratch the face of the headstock. If the action is too high at the 12th fret, your saddle is too high. If you get buzzing when you play at the 12th fret or higher, your saddle is too low. As OMA suggested, see if there are shims under the saddle.

How is the neck attached to the body? I think it is bolted on, but I am not familiar with your particular model. If you loosen the strings you could check to be sure the neck bolts are firmly tightened. Probably there is no problem with loose bolts but it is worth checking if a truss rod adjustment and a reasonable saddle height don't cure the high action.

I suggest using either .011 or .012 strings on your acoustic. Going lighter will affect the tone negatively. You could try Silk N Steel to get a softer feel at first, but you might not like the tone. If you want to use .009 or .010 for a while until you build some hand strength, sure, there's nothing wrong with it. You'll likely end up using .012 in the long run for better tone.

Try phosphor bronze strings. D'Addario are good. Also the Martin SP are good. Coated strings will sound duller but will last longer. Really any mainstream brand strings will be adequate. Once you get some experience, try different brands to see which you like best.
DubfromGA
Posted 2014-04-29 10:05 PM (#486002 - in reply to #485954)

Thank you both very much for your insight and help.

I have a lesson this Thursday. I think I'm going to leave this guitar with them to work on for me. I'll be pleased if they can get me running with some lighter strings and get the action lowered. Hopefully it will not be a very expensive undertaking.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)