The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New Hartford closing is the adamas line gone???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

2wheeldrummer
Posted 2014-04-22 8:02 PM (#485485)
Subject: New Hartford closing is the adamas line gone???

A terrible thought crossed my mind after reading all the comments on the New Hartford plant closing.
Is the Adamas line going the way of the dinosaurs? Ovation itself will technically still exist even if all manufacturing is done overseas but the Adamas was strictly the providence of the US plant so what will happen?
Korean adamii,carbon fiber topped celebrity's,what horrendous scheme might they have in mind to profit from the flagship of a brand shipped to the overseas world of bulk manufacturing.
Part of me hopes the Adamas line finds a way to stay alive in some custom shop form but in todays world who knows?????

Edited by 2wheeldrummer 2014-04-22 8:04 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2014-04-22 8:47 PM (#485486 - in reply to #485485)
Subject: RE: New Hartford closing is the adamas line gone???

2wheeldrummer - 2014-04-22 6:02 PM

Korean adamii,carbon fiber topped celebrity's,what horrendous scheme might they have in mind to profit from the flagship of a brand shipped to the overseas world of bulk manufacturing.

I don't thing that there is a cheap way to make an Adamas... Regardless of Where you make it.
TAFKAR
Posted 2014-04-22 10:08 PM (#485489 - in reply to #485485)
Subject: Re: New Hartford closing is the adamas line gone???

Sure, get a carbon fibre top and use it instead of the wood top on an Elite AX, then write "Adamas" in crayon across the headstock.
alpep
Posted 2014-04-23 7:10 AM (#485508 - in reply to #485485)

why send adamas to korea when they can't sell the ones they make here
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2014-04-23 1:32 PM (#485529 - in reply to #485485)

Mark my words, the Korean factory will probably run for another year (maybe), and then it too will be gone. And you can bet your bottom dollar that if Fender ever DOES make a carbon fiber guitar, it will have one of those hideous Fender headstocks on it (and it will still sound like crap.)
d'ovation
Posted 2014-04-23 4:55 PM (#485547 - in reply to #485485)

I never had a chance to see an adamas let alone play one, but it has always been some kind of a dream to acquire one day. Guess a new one now will never happen, but will have to visit the for sale section here more often.
matrix
Posted 2014-04-23 7:20 PM (#485571 - in reply to #485485)

I played one back in the early 80s,and loved it. They were out of my price range then, as they are now.
SillyLittleBoy
Posted 2014-04-23 10:41 PM (#485602 - in reply to #485485)

Say it ain't so, Joe! Dang, that seals it for me. I was going to wait maybe another year or two before I started hunting for "My Adamas," but I'm not waiting any longer. I know it's not like there aren't plenty of them out there already, but what if there was suddenly a run on them and all the good ones got snatched up?

What's going to happen to all of those people in Hartford who have devoted their entire lives to Ovation? I'm recalling the factory tour that Premier Guitar hosted with a video that showed Darren, who's worked for Ovation for over 20 years, gave us an introduction to all the people and processes that make Ovation so uniquely loved and appreciated by those who are members of "The Ovation Fan Club." Darren introduced us to Debra, who was hand choosing the materials for each guitar out of the hundreds and even thousands of thin sheets of wood of all types and grades that would become a part of someone's next guitar. From Debra we moved on to Joe, who we watched glue the edging on a bowl, which he then used to properly adhere the soundboard to the bowl. Then we came to Kathy, who has worked at the Hartford, Connecticut Ovation factory for over 42 years. During that time she has done just about every aspect and area of the whole Ovation guitar building process. She was last seen creating fretboards, which Darren pointed out she's been building fretboards for more years than he's worked for Ovation - over 20 years! And let's not forget Mr. Ovation himself, Sherwood, who worked as hard and as efficiently as possible to prevent there being any delays in the delivery of your designer guitar. Next on our Ovation Factory tour we met Ken, who was busy with the difficult task of applying the finish needed for that specific material and that specific guitar. ithetWe met Ken in the paint shop as he applied the finishing touches to a Koa topped guitar. And then there was Howard who worked exclusively on the Adamas line of Ovations.

What's to become of Kathy and her fellow co-workers? That's a whole bunch of amazing, caring, and creative builders with hundreds of years of cumulative experience that will now be tossed out on their cumulative butts. What about all of that aerospace technology that is currently housed and being used in that factory? Will it all be just sold of piecemeal and scattered to the four winds? That's such a crime, such a waste, and truly such a shame, but I'm sure the decision was based on numbers and columns on ledgers and sales reports. While I've not viewed any factory tours for Martin or Takamine, I just can't believe or imagine any other guitar maker out there having quite the talent, the experience, the passion, or the love of the product and what they do to create it.

So... back to my statement in the beginning... that I'm beginning my journey, my hunt, my safari, my quest to find My Adamas - my FIRST (and maybe only) Adamas. Those of you with LOADS more experience with this Ovation line and those of you who've played many different models, I'm hoping you'll let me know if I'm on the right path for the right prey OR if I'm just being a.... SillyLittleBoy.

I've already been scouting out some older/used ones and I think I've come across one that is truly Adamas, but without it costing me more than I spent on my wedding - BOTH OF THEM! (I went cheap). I've been eyeing some Adamas II 1681 models. The teal one looks real pretty. Are the Adamas II's decent? Am I getting warm? Cold? Off my rocker?

Well... I'm off to the chapel to light a candle and say goodbye to an era and to wish all of those amazing craftsmen and craftswomen, those artists and caretakers of the flame that is the Ovation guitars and the guitars I love the most. Good luck to all of those folks whose lives will be affected both directly and indirectly from this decision. For many of us it's a sad day to think of Ovation guitars no longer being made for us here in America, but for many people this is about much simpler things like mortgages and car payments, food and utility bills, children's braces and college educations.

We all love you and will be thinking of you here... at the Ovation Fan Club... and I'm not just saying that because I'm a SillyLittleBoy...

I'm saying that because it's true!
MusicMishka
Posted 2014-04-24 10:06 AM (#485639 - in reply to #485485)

Accept No Substitutes!
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2014-04-24 12:17 PM (#485648 - in reply to #485485)

Talk to Al. Get one of the last new Adamas guitars available. One of my very favorites is the 1581 Adamas II. Don't know if he has any of those left, but honestly, no matter which one you choose, you're going to love it.
alpep
Posted 2014-04-25 8:31 AM (#485711 - in reply to #485485)

there are few guitars left in inventory

I have my stash.....
some may surface for sale
stephent28
Posted 2014-04-25 12:03 PM (#485738 - in reply to #485485)

OFC2 with a 1 3/4 neck.
Just doesn't get any better.
One and done!
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2014-04-26 12:58 PM (#485805 - in reply to #485508)

alpep - 2014-04-23 7:10 AM

why send adamas to korea when they can't sell the ones they make here

With respect, I have to make the argument once again, more A's could have been sold if they were available for the uninitiated to sample. I live in an area where it's not at all unusual for a guy to walk into a high end section of a store... no intention of buying... pull a guitar off the hook on the wall, fall in love, and that guitar ends up on a national tour/ major label session. I have not personally seen an Adamas in a local store here for over 15 years.
I know we've been round and round about this before though...

Edited by Jonmark Stone 2014-04-26 12:59 PM
FlySig
Posted 2014-04-26 3:59 PM (#485814 - in reply to #485485)

Jonmark, that just makes too much sense!

When my daughter got her first guitar it was my choice (with her approval), an Applause 3/4 size. A couple years later she walked into Guitar Center and saw the Red Flame 1778 on the wall and said "I want it!!!". Just with her playing her Red Flame at school and some local open mics, she sold numerous Ovations to other teens who loved the look, sound, and uniqueness. She even sold several at GC to customers while she was playing guitars there, and she didn't even work there.

A few Adamas in the high end room of Guitar Center would certainly have boosted brand sales from top to bottom.
Damon67
Posted 2014-04-26 5:21 PM (#485825 - in reply to #485485)

I'm with you too. Except I think Guitar Center was more a part of the problem. There may be some exceptions where they have someone shoe knows what they're talking about, but they're few and far between.

I bought my first electric guitar, an Ovation, hanging on a wall in 1982 at a place that couldn't have been more than 300 sq ft. It was surrounded by a few Ibanez Roadstars, some of the Takamine solid bodies (strat body and explorer models, remember those?), some Electra Westones and of course your standard Fenders and some other stuff. I don't think they had Gibsons. There were lots o choices. Someone who knew their stuff helped out. I bought what felt right.

I bought my first acoustic electric in 2006. From my internet research, I had decided a Seagull was the best non-asian option bang for my buck and that's what I went in to the local indy music store intending to buy. They happened to have a 1778LX in there, the sales dude handed it to me and said, "try this one" and that was all it took. It played WAY better, sounded more pleasant to my ear, and the electronics seemed far superior. I walked out with the Ovation because it was hanging on a wall. Again, I bought what felt right.

A guitar hanging on a wall with a capable and knowledgeable sales associate to sell the thing was what did it both times. What ever happened to that marketing concept? By the way, that little store has weathered it out.. It's still there, with many of the same staff and teachers that were there 30 years ago.

At least last I heard it was. You never know in these volatile times.

Bobbo, is Starland still there?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2014-04-26 5:34 PM (#485829 - in reply to #485485)

Chuck at Apple Music Row sold many Adamii.
And he usually only had ONE at a time.
He would get one, sell it, get another, sell it.
The Apple Acoustic Shop is pretty much a wood-box paradise.
But people would see an Adamas, say "WTF is That?" try it, then buy it.

Like they say, if you haven't got them in the stores you cannot sell them.

BTW-- Chuck knew Charlie and was selling Ovations in the 70's.
He cancelled his Ovation contract when Fender moved manufacture to Asia.
Chuck is the person who set-aside and saved my 6774 Folklore for me... $249!
I think that I will take that out to play now, go talk to Chuck about the bad news.
muzza
Posted 2014-04-26 6:24 PM (#485832 - in reply to #485825)

damon67 - 2014-04-27 9:21 AM I'm with you too. Except I think Guitar Center was more a part of the problem. There may be some exceptions where they have someone shoe knows what they're talking about, but they're few and far between. I bought my first electric guitar, an Ovation, hanging on a wall in 1982 at a place that couldn't have been more than 300 sq ft. It was surrounded by a few Ibanez Roadstars, some of the Takamine solid bodies (strat body and explorer models, remember those?), some Electra Westones and of course your standard Fenders and some other stuff. I don't think they had Gibsons. There were lots o choices. Someone who knew their stuff helped out. I bought what felt right. I bought my first acoustic electric in 2006. From my internet research, I had decided a Seagull was the best non-asian option bang for my buck and that's what I went in to the local indy music store intending to buy. They happened to have a 1778LX in there, the sales dude handed it to me and said, "try this one" and that was all it took. It played WAY better, sounded more pleasant to my ear, and the electronics seemed far superior. I walked out with the Ovation because it was hanging on a wall. Again, I bought what felt right. A guitar hanging on a wall with a capable and knowledgeable sales associate to sell the thing was what did it both times. What ever happened to that marketing concept? By the way, that little store has weathered it out.. It's still there, with many of the same staff and teachers that were there 30 years ago. At least last I heard it was. You never know in these volatile times.

Every Fender board member should be forced to read this. 

Well written Damo!

Todd G.
Posted 2014-04-27 9:05 PM (#485884 - in reply to #485485)

Any likelihood someone (or a group of people) is able to purchase the tooling and continue repairs and production on a custom order only basis?
d'ovation
Posted 2014-04-27 9:22 PM (#485885 - in reply to #485485)

Let's hope the 46 employees have some connections and be able to raise funds to buy the building and go into business for themselves ... has happened before, e.g. Fender, Gibson, ...
Beal
Posted 2014-05-01 5:32 PM (#486080 - in reply to #485485)

The facility was Always rented. Nothin there to buy, just the name and Fuckner won't do that
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2014-05-01 9:44 PM (#486087 - in reply to #486080)

Do you think FMC would consider selling the Adamas brand, tooling, materials, Bill? Thinking along the lines of a compact custom shop, efficiently run and creativly marketed/distributed. Probably wishful thinking I know...
TAFKAR
Posted 2014-05-01 11:21 PM (#486090 - in reply to #486087)

Jonmark Stone - 2014-05-02 2:44 PM

Do you think FMC would consider selling the Adamas brand, tooling, materials, Bill? Thinking along the lines of a compact custom shop, efficiently run and creativly marketed/distributed. Probably wishful thinking I know...

Probably wishful thinking, but we can dream can't we?
Koenig Kurt
Posted 2014-05-02 11:18 AM (#486109 - in reply to #486080)

cwk2 - 2014-05-02 12:32 AM The facility was Always rented. Nothin there to buy, just the name and Fuckner won't do that

Forget about the names. They have never been a lucky choice. The plural of Adamas? You nailed it.

Let's start anew, with "Up Uranus" for the carbons and "Wood Up Uranus" for the others.

I'lll buy one in a heartbeat.

Tony Calman
Posted 2014-05-02 4:35 PM (#486128 - in reply to #485485)

Playing my Millenium last night (with poor Pluto now defamed by 'not a planet' made me think that the name of a planet or constellation would be appropriate. Heck, we have a member that continues to astound me with his picture of space (astronomy)

On my desk, a have a plate that was given by Convair to my father (one of the chief designers of the Atlas) that says "The heavens are not too high".
danomyte
Posted 2014-05-03 6:26 AM (#486152 - in reply to #485485)

I recently picked up an Adamas before the plant closure announcement. Although it's a wood top, boy does it sure sound incredible. Very similar to the early Elites, but a little more bass. I had the opportunity to play a 70s made carbon top model not too long ago and it was even better! I can only hope that I can save up enough beer cans to buy a carbon top. I see a lot of the newer reissues for sale online, but they are quite expensive so I have a lot of beer to drink. I think a good wood top used can be picked up in the $1500 range which is quite reasonable for an instrument as phenomenal as the Adamas. Folks will always be selling used guitars for one reason or another so I think the name and reputation of these will carry on for a long time to come.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)