The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
My Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CDX44

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

snmavronis
Posted 2014-03-17 8:12 PM (#483209)
Subject: My Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CDX44

New to the forum! I got this perfect mint condition Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CDX44 in 'Ruby Red Burst' from my local CL bundled with a TKL canvas Ovation embroidered hard case, On-Stage stand, a thick black leather strap, set of D'addario EXP16 bronze strings, and cleaning cloth. There is not a scratch or ding on it! It looks brand new.

The previous owner said after custom ordering it he only played it a few hours and decided trying to learn guitar isn't going to be for him. So he stored it away in the hard case for years until be ended up putting it on sale. Bad for him, good for me!

It is made in Korea but the Lyrachord mid-depth bowl is made in the USA. This is my first acoustic and I love how it sounds. Here's a photo with my other guitars. The trio is nicknamed Midnight Mistress, Red Devil, and Ruby Tuesday.

I'm not that familiar with Celebrity series yet or this specific guitar model. According its the serial number the Ovation Guitars site says it was made in 2006. How well are/were the CDX44 models regarded? I'm assuming the Deluxe models were the best of the Celebrity line?

She seems to be very well made and a beauty to behold in person. I like the snowflake fret markers and binding inlays. 

Edited by snmavronis 2014-03-17 8:13 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2014-03-17 11:09 PM (#483212 - in reply to #483209)
Subject: Re: My Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CDX44

I used to own a CSE44... A relative of the CDX44.
Both models have Solid Spruce Tops.
The CSE44 has an OP-30 preamp. The CDX44 has the OP-Pro.
The CSE had little Triangle fret inlays, the CDX has diamond "Snowflakes" or Crosses.

Both the CDX44 and the CSE44 were the top of the line Celebrity guitars.

As to the Serial Number... The Ovation Serial Number Decoder only works with USA Models.
Yours may have been made in 2006... or Not.
I was definitely made in This Century because of the OP-Pro preamp.
snmavronis
Posted 2014-03-17 11:43 PM (#483214 - in reply to #483212)

arthurseery - 2014-03-18 12:09 AM
As to the Serial Number... The Ovation Serial Number Decoder only works with USA Models.
Yours may have been made in 2006... or Not.

Thanks for the information. Mine has serial number 6014959. Is there a date decoder for offshore models? I was wondering about the 2006 result because I had only seen people speak of the CDX44 as 2007 so far.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2014-03-18 12:26 AM (#483215 - in reply to #483209)

You will notice that your Serial Number has 7 digits...
The "Decoder" is only up to 6 digits.

Older Asian guitars were made in different factories so there was no correlation between the numbers.
I had a Korean 4861 with a number of 9,000,000-something.
I believe that your guitar was made in Korea... other Celebrity's were made in China.

Nowadays, FendrOvation puts a Letter at the beginning of the serial number...
C for China, K for Korea.
Plus the first numbers mark the year.

As to the 2007 year... That was when Fender bought Kaman. wiki
That was when the stopped production of the Korean Ultras and Celebrity's.
Soon after that, they started making the AX and TX Ovations in that same factory.

So... Figure that you CDX is just as good (or better) than an AX Elite.

Lookee what I found.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2014-03-18 12:39 AM
snmavronis
Posted 2014-03-18 6:54 AM (#483220 - in reply to #483209)

Okay thanks! To summarize since Celebrity Deluxe model production stopped in 2007 in Korea, it can't be newer than that. I do like the specs you posted. I've emailed the CL seller to see if he can tell me the year he got it and if he still has his sales receipt. He told me before I bought it that he looked a long time for the exact one that he wanted and even had it "custom ordered." But he says he only owned it for a few years which doesn't make sense if its a circa 2007 CDX44. Either some online store still had one in stock or he bought it used. The condition though is perfect, no wear at all (except the bronze wound strings coating is eroded where he probably got hand oils on them) so maybe it was just sitting in some warehouse since 2007. I hope he replies because I thanked him that I'm very happy with the guitar. For kicks I tried registering the serial number on the Ovation site, but then it prompted me for a user logon and password, probably his.

Edited by snmavronis 2014-03-18 6:55 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)