The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1581-2 has arrived!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

marcwel0
Posted 2014-03-11 8:36 AM (#482978)
Subject: 1581-2 has arrived!

My thanks to the replies to my previous post.

The 1581 has finally arrived and looks and sounds unbelievable. It has a fuller sound than my mid bowl W597. I find myself strumming simple chords simply to take in the sound as opposed to getting stuck in to the complicated stuff I normally do. I can not believe guitars can get better than this.

However, I do have a question. I have noticed that where the fret board continues over the body it sits proud of the body sloping slightly away from the body so that beyond the final fret it is about 2mm clear. The neck itself is straight with no buzzes except on the 6th string 14th fret.

My brand new CC54 was tight to the body whilst with the W597 I can maybe squeeze a finger nail in the gap.
The guitar's playability is unaffected until you are playing on the final few frets and under finger pressure the fretboard bends and touches the body. Is this normal? I have seen a few photos of other Adamas guitars with this set-up but not sure what needs or should be done.

Thanks

Marc
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2014-03-11 9:53 AM (#482979 - in reply to #482978)
Subject: Re: 1581-2 has arrived!

It's a "floating fretboard". The theory is that by not attaching the fretboard, the soundboard will vibrate more freely and improve the sound.

Do not use a couple of woodscrews to attach the fretboard extension to the soundboard!! :-) (believe it or not, we've actually seen that here!)
marcwel0
Posted 2014-03-11 6:32 PM (#482992 - in reply to #482978)

Bobbo-thanks for your reply. I have for the first time come across an old manual which actually details this. I have never come across this in any previous Adamas literature I have read. It's certainly put my mind at rest. I assume that the slight bending of the fret board towards the sound board when playing at the top of the neck is ok.

Isn't it staggering that some one would try to "correct" this with a couple of wood screws without at least seeking some advice first?

Regards

Marc

"How many guitars is enough?...........well about four ought to be enough for most people"

TAFKAR
Posted 2014-03-11 9:38 PM (#482998 - in reply to #482978)

It's supposed to be straight, but given that it's wood and time has passed, a small amount of bend is no problem.
Tony Calman
Posted 2014-03-12 1:29 AM (#483003 - in reply to #482978)

it could be the lack of humidity...
SOBeach
Posted 2014-03-13 9:26 PM (#483106 - in reply to #482978)
Subject: RE: 1581-2 has arrived!

marcwel0 - ... with no buzzes except on the 6th string 14th fret.QUOTE]

Marc, is the 15th fret fully seated into the fretboard? If so, maybe it has a slight high spot on the fret itself? 

marcwel0 - "How many guitars is enough?...........well about four ought to be enough for most people"

you'll notice folks 'round here ain't like "most people". 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)