The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ultra GP on the Bay

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> Ovation Electric GuitarsMessage format

danomyte
Posted 2014-03-03 2:15 PM (#482716)
Subject: Ultra GP on the Bay

Don't see many of these up for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ovation-Ultra-GP-/281272535891?pt=Guitar&ha...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2014-03-03 6:29 PM (#482732 - in reply to #482716)
Subject: Re: Ultra GP on the Bay

A few years ago they were going for crazy money. Now that the guy from Queens of the Stone Age quit using them, it will be interesting to see what this goes for. It's already past what makes sense for me.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2014-03-04 10:02 AM (#482745 - in reply to #482716)

Mark, what was it up to? I notice it's ended now. I'm guessing someone just offered him an amount he couldn't refuse.

I have mentioned it before, these Guitars have an odd mojo about them. On the surface it's nothing special I admit, but I think it's the specific combination of parts and design that for some reason really do make it stand out in both looks and more importantly sound.

People have swapped pickups on a few and the general consensus is to put the original (Distortion II's I believe) back in. The "set neck" makes a difference as well. I think it's just the combination of parts. Was it ever "worth" $2500+ That's a tough nut to crack. I've played electrics in that price range, like Les Paul's and PRS that just didn't sound as good as a stock GP. The sound and playability is not far behind my Neal Moser guitars that were hand made and I admit, that's just wrong on so many levels.

The fact that a celeb with a cult following played one (or three or more) and put them on the map, is significant, but he hasn't played them in quite some time and the price hasn't really budged. Josh has played lots of different guitars over the years, but you don't see people clambering to buy them because of him and their price didn't quadruple because of him. He has a gaggle of Maton's and has even played a Preacher. Gretch and Danelectro are in his arsenal but the GP's are the ones that got everyone's attention.

So is it worth $2500 ?? Well, if you want a guitar that plays and sounds like a GP, then yes because that's pretty much the only way to get a guitar that plays and sounds like a GP.

Mark in Boise
Posted 2014-03-04 10:57 AM (#482747 - in reply to #482716)

It was at $750 with 15 offers when I posted yesterday. I can't tell if he pulled the listing or if someone bought it. I don't remember seeing that it had a reserve. I imagine that there are not many out there that are still owned by the original buyers and all those who bought them for $2000 as an investment are going to wait a long time before they put them up for sale at a big loss.
Damon67
Posted 2014-03-04 12:45 PM (#482750 - in reply to #482716)

it had a repaired neck. seller had 1 transaction. pass

Edited by Damon67 2014-03-04 12:48 PM
danomyte
Posted 2014-03-05 3:31 PM (#482781 - in reply to #482716)

Yeah the repair and the fact he would not ship was a turn off. Not everyone lives in Ohio!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)