The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
12-String Dead; Stores with Inventory??

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

knowbd
Posted 2014-02-07 7:12 AM (#481936)
Subject: 12-String Dead; Stores with Inventory??

Last week, my Ovation Legend 1866 12-string collapsed. See...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5a2epy9ovqblcv/IMG_2840.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8yr6gifarnbcm8/IMG_2841.JPG

This is not a veneer or glue failure.  The wood actually separated.  Local guitar repair dude agrees with my assessment -- there is no cost-effective repair alternative.  I could spend a lot of money to get it playable, but it may never sound quite "right" and always look damaged.  He also indicated this was not a common issue for Ovations and was due to hidden defects in the wood.  Any insights from forum members would be appreciated.

Thus, I am in the market for a new 12-string.  I have played an impressive Taylor 356ce in a regional store.  However, I always liked the action on my Ovation and would like to audition a couple of those before I make a purchase decision. In particular, I am interested in playing:

However, I am having trouble finding music stores with Ovation guitars inventory.  I live in Tallulah Falls in the northeast corner of Georgia... equally inconvenient to Atlanta, Greeneville SC, Asheville NC, Athens GA, Anderson SC, and would even drive to Charlotte NC or Knoxville TN or Macon GA if there was good reason.

Can anyone direct me to a regional store that has a good inventory of Ovations?

Thanks,

Keith

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2014-02-07 8:48 AM (#481938 - in reply to #481936)
Subject: RE: 12-String Dead; Stores with Inventory??

OOOOFAA!! What a mess!

I don't know your locale very well, so I can't refer you to any store. But I have a stellar 12-string for sale on the boards here. You will likely NEVER find another one exactly like it.

Take a look.

Damon67
Posted 2014-02-07 1:28 PM (#481940 - in reply to #481936)
Subject: Re: 12-String Dead; Stores with Inventory??

howdy, have you tried to talk to Ovation Customer Service? They might attach a new bowl and top for the price you'd buy a new Asian model for (you specified all asian made models above).

That way you'd still have your fav, and still have a guitar made in good ol' USA
alpep
Posted 2014-02-07 2:32 PM (#481941 - in reply to #481936)

check out my website I have a couple of cool 12 stings for sale

www.lostartvintage.com
TAFKAR
Posted 2014-02-07 3:26 PM (#481945 - in reply to #481936)

If you're the original owner, that would be covered under warranty.
knowbd
Posted 2014-02-08 7:34 PM (#481965 - in reply to #481936)

Thanks for the feedback. I have e-mailed Ovation support but have heard nothing back. I followed FAQ instructions and took the guitar to the place of purchase, but the (competent-seeming) repair guy didn't hold out hope for a cost-effective solution.

Replacing the bowl reminds me of the old joke about an ancient axe in the Smithsonian that was sold old it had 5 replacement handles and 7 replacement heads. :-) Still, it may be worth a little more effort to contact the Ovation folks.

*Really* dumb question… I was never really happy with the shallow bowl and had actually considered selling the 1866 and buying a new 12-string with a deeper bowl. Wonder if Ovation could attach a deeper bowl if they are attaching bowls?
Damon67
Posted 2014-02-08 9:13 PM (#481967 - in reply to #481936)

Call them, leave a message. Unless things have changed (and they may have), they will do whatever you want to it. Patch (above) is infamous for having the mothership do all kinds of wild things.

I've lifted your newbie status. Feel free to post in the main sections and get some more opinions

Edited by Damon67 2014-02-08 9:15 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)