The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Viper Questions....

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> Ovation Electric GuitarsMessage format

VexorgTR
Posted 2014-01-15 6:09 PM (#481275)
Subject: Viper Questions....

Maybe someone here knows better than I.....

I got a Viper from the pawn shop... with the help of others from the board, I got it working again. It plays ok, and sounds good. Minor setup tweaks and a little fret work wouldn't hurt... but it isn't bad now.

My questions are this....

Many Vipers I see in photos have Viper engraved on the pickguard cover... mine does not. I know that some got their pickguards destroyed by someone stomping the cable... and although mine has stress marks to indicate that, it's still ok.

Second, the headstock and neck are painted in the same finish as the guitar... but the headstock just has a script Ovation wording... no "bowl" graphic or anything.

Third, the dots on the side of the fretboard look to be hand done, as they are painted on....

What are the thoughts here? Prototype? Last one's rush job? Refinished by previous owner?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2014-01-15 6:17 PM (#481276 - in reply to #481275)
Subject: Re: Viper Questions....

Need to see pictures for most of the above, however the pick guard question is simple. There are a few versions (three I think) of the pickguard, only the first version has Viper engraved on it. There are also a couple of versions of the Logo. As far as the neck and body being he same color, well that depends on the color. Pictures tell the story..

VexorgTR
Posted 2014-01-22 10:16 PM (#481455 - in reply to #481275)

Ok, here's the glorious details. The guitar is all original stuff... (almost).... the ferrules in the peg head aren't.... 2 of the tuners are period correct replacements....

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2014-01-22 10:56 PM (#481456 - in reply to #481275)

I have never seen a headstock logo like that one...

Kinda nifty
Damon67
Posted 2014-01-23 2:55 AM (#481461 - in reply to #481275)

Looks like a refinish to me. Definitely not a prototype. That's a later style bridge and the early ones had the pickup switch in a different spot.

Have you lifted it's pick guard to see if the carpet matches the drapes?

Cool guitar, have fun with it.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2014-01-23 12:18 PM (#481470 - in reply to #481275)

Although the closeup is a bit blurry, the tone and volume knobs appear to be correct and the dots on the pickguard are in the right places, so I'd guess the knobs and pickguard are original, from a later model Viper. I'd have to look at mine at home, but the fret markers on the neck and the logo on the headstock aren't original, so I suspect a repaint of the neck and headstock at least. I suspect the same on mine, though, so it shouldn't be used as a benchmark. Mine has a brass nut, too, which wasn't original. That makes me think there was a broken headstock on mine, but I can't see evidence of that under the truss rod cover. Red ones are cool and the original pickups are great. Keep it and enjoy it.
stonebobbo
Posted 2014-01-23 1:46 PM (#481475 - in reply to #481275)

Like Damon said, most likely a refinish. The S/N indicates it is VERY late in the run ... right near the end of production. I'm not sure they were still doing the red ones by then ...

The one I have is only a few hundred s/n's later ... it required a refinish that I had done about 10 years ago. Mine is all mahogany (body and neck) and the finish they used at the time became very cloudy over the years. There were issues with the formulation caused by new environmental standards at the time and it happened to a fair amount of the guitars like mine. This may be what happened with your particular guitar, and someone decided to go red paint because it looks cool (which is does). That would explain the homemade logo, and all of the correct electronics and parts.

As Damon also suggested, you ought to take off the pickguard and look underneath to see what you've got.

Regardless, these are great guitars. Have fun with it.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2014-01-24 2:05 PM (#481496 - in reply to #481275)

Is it just the picture or are there no screws in the pickguard?
VexorgTR
Posted 2014-01-26 5:57 AM (#481539 - in reply to #481275)

I have had the pickguard off of it... it was one of the first things I did... I polish the whole critter. There's a bit of red overspray on the foil of the pickup cavities... I didn't really see any other colors... charcoal grey primer, and the very red paint.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)