The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ultra 2178

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

garybob
Posted 2013-12-14 9:45 AM (#480591)
Subject: Ultra 2178

Kinda wondering what others, more knowledgeable folks think about this model Ovation. Made in Korea assembled in USA. I'm not a rich man and this is the best I could do.......for now. Any input would be appreciated. Also how important is a humidifier for a mostly fiberglass, composite,plastic bowl guitar. Sorry guys, I've been away from guitar playing for close to thirty years. What humidifier do you suggest I use for the multi whole Ovation? Thanx.......
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2013-12-14 12:48 PM (#480605 - in reply to #480591)
Subject: Re: Ultra 2178

Garybob, welcome aboard.

I've not played an Ultra. In general the value of used Ovations is very high in terms of bang for the buck. I don't think you can go wrong with an Ovation, and will get a lot for your money. Nobody here is going to run you down for what you can afford and what you like.

As to humidification, I believe you should look for a constant humidity as best you can, and then shoot for around 30% to 40% humidity if you can. We run a good humidifier in the music room, plus another in the rest of the house. We live in a very dry climate. The ideal solution is a whole-house system as part of your central heating and air conditioning. A lot of people use the little gizmos you put in the guitar case or suspend inside the sound hole. They are a dampened sponge inside a plastic can or rubbery snake with holes. Those gizmos are cheap and they work. You have to check them regularly to be sure they haven't gone dry.

The cheapest solution is to take a kitchen sponge and put it in a sandwich baggie. Use a paper hole punch to put some holes in the baggie. Wet the sponge and squeeze it until no liquid runs out (you don't want liquid water leaking onto your guitar). Put it in the guitar case with your guitar.

If you live in a hot humid climate you need the opposite - to run a dehumidifier.

Failure to humidify can cause cracks in the wood if extreme. More likely is you will find the truss rod needs to be adjusted often. In the drier months you will feel sharp ends of frets poking your hand because the neck shrinks a small amount.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-12-14 1:02 PM (#480609 - in reply to #480591)

If you have it, post some pics. We Like Pretty Pictures.

Yes, Humidity is just as important for Ovations as with any other guitar.
The top, bridge, neck and fingerboard are all wood.
Since I don't know where you are located, I cannot speak of you common weather conditions...
But the heating and cooling system in you home may dry-out the air.
To be sure, buy a hydrometer (humidity gauge).

I use Herco "Guardfather" humidifiers in my guitar cases.
But a damp sponge in a baggie with holes punched in it will work also.
Also "Dampit" humidifiers for violins will fit into the epaulet holes.

The real thing is not to let the guitar dry-out in the first place.
So don't store your guitar in the basement next to the furnace.
As Ovation sez... Keep it Comfortable.
http://www.ovationguitars.com/support/care_maintenance

(apparently I type very slowly, FlySig )

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2013-12-14 1:06 PM
garybob
Posted 2013-12-14 2:18 PM (#480611 - in reply to #480591)

I live in central Ohio so it's not overly dry. I do plan to have the guitar out on a stand most of the time. I understand the merits of keeping a guit-fiddle in the case and all, but I sure do like looking at it, not to mention it's a bit easier to get at when I feel like noodling. I rent an apartment with baseboard heat and a window a/c unit so not a whole lot I can do with HVAC system. I can attempt pictures when it arrives, unfortunately I've never been good at that sort of thing. I'm doing good to get the computer on without my daughters help. I'm giving my Takamine G series China made to my stepson for xmas, and for me I rewarded myself with this Korean Ovation. I feel it's a step in the right the direction, at least it's an Ovation right, I'll start saving my pennies again and someday maybe have a real USA model.
FlySig
Posted 2013-12-14 4:35 PM (#480619 - in reply to #480591)

I keep all my guitars out on stands or wall hangars. Thus we use a room humidifier rather than the damp sponges. There are 2 kinds of humidifiers, one which uses a fan to blow air across a fibrous filter, the other is "ultrasonic". The ultrasonics will leave a white dust on all the surfaces because the minerals in the water also become airborne. The wet filter types have some fan noise, so if you go for one of those do your research into user reports to avoid noisy ones. The filters need to be replaced several times per year, so there is an added expense of the wet filter humidifiers.

If you're getting shocked by static in your home, you definitely need a humidifier. If not, you probably should have a humidifier anyway.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-12-14 7:00 PM (#480620 - in reply to #480591)

I usually have two or three guitars out in stands...
And one in a Zero Gravity hard gig-bag to take outside.

If it is comfortable for You in your living room or bedroom it will probably be good for the guitar.
If your hands are dry and slick, it might be too dry.
Since you live in an apartment, if it feels too dry and you need emergency humidification, just go turn your shower on full hot with the bathroom door open.
Works for me.

If your Takamine was happy... Your Ovation will probably be happy too.
garybob
Posted 2013-12-15 8:36 AM (#480626 - in reply to #480591)

Thank you both for your comments and help. What would you suggest to refresh, clean, and oil the fretboard?
FlySig
Posted 2013-12-15 8:59 AM (#480627 - in reply to #480591)

Either real lemon oil or mineral oil. There are a lot of fake lemon oils out there which are simply lemony scented oil of unknown origin. Clayton brand lemon oil is what I use.

Your entire guitar can probably be cleaned with just a damp cloth. If there is tough crud on it, use either a slightly soapy cloth followed by a damp cloth, or use a guitar cleaner. I like the Dunlop 65 products.

Don't use any soap on the fretboard. Just a damp cloth and one of the oils.

You can wax the top of the guitar if you like, but it isn't necessary. Don't wax the back of the neck. Waxes will get sticky from body heat as you play.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)