The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Breadwinner Pick ups

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> Ovation Electric GuitarsMessage format

blackdog
Posted 2013-12-13 8:43 AM (#480570)
Subject: Breadwinner Pick ups

I have a 1973 Breadwinner that has been modified with a new pick guard to accept standard sized humbucking pickups (I saved all the original parts, even the screws). Presently there are two very hot Dimarzio's in there that I've used for years, but no longer like the sound. I'm thinking of going to EMG pickups.
Any opinions?
BTW, the original pick ups won't fit the new pickguard.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2013-12-13 4:16 PM (#480573 - in reply to #480570)
Subject: Re: Breadwinner Pick ups

Have you removed the original Circuit board as well?
That would make a difference.
If the new pups are wired in a standard set up it should sound like any other guitar with those pickups.

What style or flavor are you shooting for?

For different pickups put into a Mahogany Breadwinner/Deacon I would consider Seymour Duncan Phat Cats or go the other direction and do something in the low impedance range.

Use wire end connectors and try a few different sets.
blackdog
Posted 2013-12-13 5:06 PM (#480575 - in reply to #480570)

The preamp is still installed. The present pick ups are way too hot. I'm looking for something a little mellower and a little more versatile as far as wiring is concerned. I'd actually put the originals back in, but I prefer the look of my pick guard over the original, and the originals are the wrong size. I also like to experiment.
The Duncans found like a good choice. I've used them before.
FlySig
Posted 2013-12-13 10:15 PM (#480583 - in reply to #480570)

There are several companies which will cut a custom pickguard for you to fit the original pups.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-12-14 5:11 AM (#480585 - in reply to #480570)

You mention the original pre-amp is still installed, but are the pickups using it? That could explain the too hottness of the pickups. Also, if the pickups are using the pre-amp, I believe there is a gain and a bias adjustment on the pre-amp that you should be able to back off the hottness of the pickups if you like the tone.
blackdog
Posted 2013-12-14 8:22 AM (#480588 - in reply to #480583)

I've already had one custom made, not interested in making another. Besides, it's pick ups I curious about trying.
blackdog
Posted 2013-12-14 8:24 AM (#480589 - in reply to #480585)

mileskb - 2013-12-14 6:11 AM

You mention the original pre-amp is still installed, but are the pickups using it? That could explain the too hottness of the pickups. Also, if the pickups are using the pre-amp, I believe there is a gain and a bias adjustment on the pre-amp that you should be able to back off the hottness of the pickups if you like the tone.

I had forgotten about the adjustments. I'm going to play with that first, and maybe make some changes to the preamp.
FlySig
Posted 2013-12-14 10:01 AM (#480593 - in reply to #480570)

If money is not critical, I suggest Lollar Imperial pickups. They are fabulous in my Hamer Newport. The sound is a bit tamer and better balanced than the Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers (which are as PAF as is humanly possible). They tend a bit towards a single coil sound but are definitely humbuckers, in that they are clear with excellent string separation yet they definitely have that humbucker meaty drive. I would say these are perfect for rock and blues, but not for heavy metal. Fralin makes a similar pickup called the Unbucker. Lollar or other premium brands are going to run you $350 for a set.

If you are interested in trying a true single coil, the Seymour Duncan Phat Cats get nothing but stellar reviews. These will cost around $175 for a matched set. Lollar and Fralin make humbucker sized single coils in a similar price range which are well reviewed.
blackdog
Posted 2013-12-14 12:24 PM (#480603 - in reply to #480570)

A true single coil may be an interesting option. Might save me some money too.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-12-14 1:41 PM (#480610 - in reply to #480570)

Interesting thought. It just dawned on me that the original Breadwinner pickups were toroidal single coil's and the later versions used the preacher style mini-humbuckers. I wonder if the pre-amp is essentially the same or were changes made to accommodate the humbuckers vs single coils. I never really looked into it.
blackdog
Posted 2013-12-14 2:55 PM (#480615 - in reply to #480570)

I have the schematic of the preamp. In this scheme file are three versions. A passive arrangement and two versions of the preamp. I've seen a few BW and none were passive. The two active preamps seem to coincide with pickup changes. The only real difference is the placement of the volume control I think.
I haven't had a chance to examine the schematic yet.
numbfingers
Posted 2013-12-14 3:13 PM (#480616 - in reply to #480570)
Subject: RE: Breadwinner Pick ups

I wouldn't modify the preamp if it's working- I'd put it aside with the pickups and save it or sell the lot.

At the bottom of this old thread are links to info on the preamps: http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=32...

This little Artec preamp/tone control might be worth a try: http://guitarheads.net/products/electronics/ex3.html It would take the place of the notch switch on the Breadwinner. You could try it with your existing pickups. I bought one, but it's so small it disappeared in the garage and I haven't tried it!

-Steve W.

blackdog
Posted 2013-12-14 8:00 PM (#480621 - in reply to #480570)

I have no intention of modifying the preamp. I like the way it works. I did break a switch a while back and kludged a repair in an emergency. Just have to buy the right switch and it will be back to stock.
numbfingers
Posted 2013-12-14 8:46 PM (#480623 - in reply to #480589)

blackdog - 2013-12-14 8:24 AM
I had forgotten about the adjustments. I'm going to play with that first, and maybe make some changes to the preamp.

I guess that had me thinking you might modify it.

The small humbuckers used in the Deacon/Breadwinner are high DC resistance but relatively low output. I've never tried a "hot" high-output humbucker with the original preamp. Maybe something with lower output will match best.

-Steve W.
blackdog
Posted 2013-12-15 7:53 AM (#480625 - in reply to #480570)

That's what I'm thinking. They have just too much output presently. My originals are the toroid single coils, so I'm thinking another single coil type might be worth a try too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)