The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation EA-68 Hollow-Body Viper; Used but Killer!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

Patch
Posted 2013-11-20 12:33 PM (#480026)
Subject: Ovation EA-68 Hollow-Body Viper; Used but Killer!

I confess, I'm not an electric player. I've tried them, but never really gotten comfortable playing them. Every once in a while though, I get the urge to try again, and come up short every time. Then I met the EA-68!

MAN I like these guitars!

For those who are unfamiliar with the EA-68 Viper, they are built from a solid block of mahogany that has been chambered out and topped with solid spruce. Though they are sized like an electric guitar, they are strung with acoustic strings that come through the entire body from the back and cross an undersaddle pick-up in the bridge. Plug this one in and be amazed!

In other words, they fit like an electric, but play and sound like an acoustic on stage.

I have been fascinated by the epaulette-style Vipers for a while, and every time I get hold of one, it’s pure fun to play around with! For me, they are great because they play just like my other 6-stringers and are even more comfy than even a super-shallow-bowl to hold! In short, I like them muchly. Seriously, I’ve owned five of these now, and I doubt that’s the end of our story.

So why sell it?

1) I’m working on a trade with another OFC member.

2) Even if I wasn’t trading, I can seriously use the Christmas funds.

Now for this particular instrument: This little beauty is in great shape overall with only a couple of aesthetic flaws. It has one obvious ding in the lower bout that you can see in the pictures, and the edge of the binding along the lower, bass bout feels rough to the touch, though it looks OK. And other than some very slight wear-n-tear that’s invisible until you get up close, that's it for the negatives.

The neck is straight with very slight fretwear. The action is medium-low, very playable, and the intonation is good all the way up the neck. It's super comfortable to play either sitting or standing.

There are no issues with the pickup or preamp, although it looks like the volume knob has been replaced for some reason. (Whoever did it, did a good job.) It sounds SPECTACULAR through my Hartke ribbon amplifier! Honestly, this has got to be one of the very best performance acoustics ever made!

I seriously LOVE fooling around with the sounds you can get from this little guitar! There's no other word to describe it but.....FUN!

So take a look at the pics. They show just how nice this guitar really looks. The woodgrain, I kid you not, almost sparkles in direct light!

It has a fresh set of D'Addarios on it, and it comes with its hard-shell case. The case is in great-but-used shape. All buckles and latches work fine, and it should provide years of use.

I'm asking $775 shipped.

Click on any picture below to be taken to my Photo Bucket album with all of the pictures. Thanks for looking!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2013-11-24 11:20 AM (#480107 - in reply to #480026)
Subject: RE: Ovation EA-68 Hollow-Body Viper; Used but Killer!

You know times are tough when a guitar this nice doesn't even get a chirp.....
Patch
Posted 2013-12-11 2:52 PM (#480538 - in reply to #480026)

Hoo boy.......

Is this thing on?

Christmas is gettng close and something needs to move.

How about $695? Believe me, it's worth more!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-12-11 2:57 PM (#480539 - in reply to #480026)
Subject: Re: Ovation EA-68 Hollow-Body Viper; Used but Killer!

Can anyone explain why I should get this instead of a VXT? I've put a VXT back on my mental want list, even though I have a tough time justifying why I should get one. I was just wondering how these differ from the VXTs in terms of function.
Patch
Posted 2013-12-11 3:54 PM (#480540 - in reply to #480026)

I'm not really an electric player Mark, but I have owned both and liked them both and would not put up much resistance to owning both in the future. (G.A.S. is G.A.S. after all. ) So this is my take between them. Others can feel free to correct me of course and hopefully add details I haven't thought of.

With all that being said, the EA-68 Viper is for someone who wants a guitar that feels like and electric but sounds like an acoustic. It is strung with acoustic strings just like your other O's and the neck feels exactly the same as the acoustic 1 11/16" necks. It has an acoustic pick-up as well and sounds WAY to good plugged through an acoustic amp like my Hartke AC150. This model is one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever strapped on. It is just effortless to hold and work with.

The VXT feels nearly the same when you strap it on, but is strung with electric strings. It also has an acoustic imaging pick-up as well as humbuckers for that cool electric sound I can't seem to get any real control of. There is a blender switch that lets you move from total acoustic to total electric and any blend in between.

So each gutiar has its distinctive characteristcs and uses that should be evaluated by each individual buyer. FWIW, if I had to choose between one or the other, I happen to prefer the EA-68 Viper as I have little use for an electric sound.

I'm selling this one because I have my eye on other things, and I can hopefully snag another one of these down the road.

Did I mention that G.A.S thing before?
Damon67
Posted 2013-12-11 6:31 PM (#480541 - in reply to #480026)

It would be much easier to discuss the similarities... the headstock shape.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-12-12 3:37 AM (#480547 - in reply to #480539)

Mark in Boise - 2013-12-11 12:57 PMCan anyone explain why I should get this instead of a VXT? .

Because they are two completely different guitars (except for the headstock-ish as noted) and they both are stellar at what they do.

The Viper is designed to play and sound like an acoustic when plugged in.

The VXT is a dual humbucker electric that can also provide acoustic sounding tones to blend or use independently.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-12-12 10:42 AM (#480551 - in reply to #480026)

Thanks for the reminders. Since I have no need for the Viper, I'll just keep GASing for a deal on a VXT. I don't need that either, but I can rationalize having an electric guitar that I can switch over to an occasional acoustic sound much better than I can explain why I would have the Viper when I have a dozen other acoustic Ovations that I rarely plug in.
stellarjim
Posted 2013-12-13 10:39 PM (#480584 - in reply to #480026)

Hi Mark:
I own a VXT and a Viper and love them both. I would tell you my Viper is the "easiest to play" acoustic guitar I own and it really excels if you're playing on a stage (where, presumably, you are standing). So in short, it's a great gigging acoustic guitar. However, it really doesn't sound like much unplugged so don't think of it as something you'll want to play unplugged.

On the other hand, my VXT is really an electric guitar with some acoustic tones. However, if you were to dial the blend knob to "Acoustic Only", you'd find the VXT does not provide a very convincing acoustic tone. For my ears, I like to blend the Acoustic-Electric about 50/50. This provides a beautiful sweet acoustic tone with some great electric crunch....very nice.

I say get them both.

Both guitars are wonderfully easy to play.
FlySig
Posted 2013-12-14 9:52 AM (#480592 - in reply to #480026)

Via another member I acquired a Deacon modified by MWoody. The saddles were replaced with piezos, and a preamp was added. The output can be either mono or stereo. In stereo the humbuckers go to one amp and the piezos to another. In mono the two can be blended in any proportion.

Played through an acoustic amp the piezos sound darn good. Not up to the quality of a regular acoustic electric O or A, but still very good. I am eager to try some White Bronze strings on it.

For a tinkerer it would be a fun project to convert an existing O solid body electric into the equivalent of a VXT.
Patch
Posted 2013-12-14 10:05 AM (#480594 - in reply to #480026)

I had a couple of nibbles, but they had to pass I'm afraid

Who else is interested?
Waskel
Posted 2013-12-14 2:23 PM (#480612 - in reply to #480026)

I haven't totally given up, but it doesn't look good. Wanna trade for a nice VXT?
ProfessorBB
Posted 2013-12-17 11:09 AM (#480648 - in reply to #480026)

I, too, have both a VXT and 4 EA Vipers. I agree with Miles. The EA Viper leans on the acoustic side of the continuum while the VXT is really an electric guitar with a blendable piezo added. The EA Vipers are also very heavy, even heavier than a Les Paul. If you prefer an acoustic sound, go with the EA Viper, the weight notwithstanding.
Patch
Posted 2013-12-19 7:44 AM (#480686 - in reply to #480026)

I can still ship this via Priority Mail in time for Chirstmas. Who wants to make an offer?
dwg preacher
Posted 2014-01-06 6:24 PM (#481015 - in reply to #480026)

Yo there my friend. You still sitting on this little jewel?
Patch
Posted 2014-01-07 7:38 AM (#481033 - in reply to #480026)

Yes I am Preacher. You want it?
ProfessorBB
Posted 2014-01-08 10:08 AM (#481079 - in reply to #480026)

Jon, this beauty looks very similar to my honey blonde finished EA68 Viper that you've played, and that I also obtained from Patch. He has really good, clean gear.
dwg preacher
Posted 2014-01-08 12:22 PM (#481085 - in reply to #480026)

Thanks! Patch I sent you a pm, but I see you're having trouble with your inbox...I'll call you later.
Patch
Posted 2014-01-13 7:58 PM (#481225 - in reply to #480026)

Sale pending.......

Fingers crossed.....
stellarjim
Posted 2014-01-14 8:16 PM (#481259 - in reply to #480026)

Good luck Patch. I just played my acoustic Viper @ church in a duet this past weekend and it sounded fantastic. Got tons of compliments on the tone and the looks (of the guitar...not me).
DanSchafer
Posted 2014-01-16 2:23 PM (#481295 - in reply to #480026)

I'm looking and thinking...still wanting to sell a few of mine...
Patch
Posted 2014-03-03 2:45 PM (#482723 - in reply to #480026)

Anybody got a tax refund burning a hole in there pocket?
Matt_B
Posted 2014-03-03 3:00 PM (#482725 - in reply to #480026)

I'm interested but I'd like a better pic of the ding in the lower bout and volume knob. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Matt_B 2014-03-03 3:05 PM
Patch
Posted 2014-03-06 5:05 PM (#482822 - in reply to #480026)

This one is finally sold and going on a long, LONG trip to a fellow OFC'er. I'll leave it to them to come forward if they so choose.

Thanks again!

Matt_B
Posted 2014-03-06 6:18 PM (#482823 - in reply to #480026)

Glad it found a new home Patch.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)