The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New member with an old guitar...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

Tycobb48
Posted 2013-10-27 6:10 PM (#478348)
Subject: New member with an old guitar...

Hi everybody!

(this is a repost of my thread from the temp member section, hoping to get the answers here - thanks!)

I'm new to the guitar world, only about a dozen lessons in...scales are my friend lol. A little background - I have a First Act electric I've been practicing on, but really wanted an acoustic. Found an add on Craigslist for a Gretsch Dorado for $15 - great, even though it needs a little work...

The day before I pick it up, I'm going down the road, and low and behold, next to a clothing donation box is an acoustic guitar...an Applause, model AA14. It has a lifted bridge (wood working experience and a 1000 youtube videos later - and a teacher who is a luthier - no stress), some wear on the frets, which according everything I've read here and elsewhere, is normal. Also lots of long cracks in the finish, which may or not be expected on these.

Anyways, I found this (to me) great guitar that has been neglected and needs some love. Figure this is the best place to ask some questions...

1. The model number is AA14 - that's it. No dash or anything after. The S/N is 124444. I can not seem to find any info on a straight AA14, though it looks just like this AA14-4...http://www.ebay.com/itm/390651038296. Should I assume they are the same? Even the rosette and pick guard are the same.

2. I read a neat thread on here by a gentleman that filed down and replaced the frets by hand...lifted bridge I can do - little duct tape and 2" bolts - but hacking away at the neck (which would happen if I tried it) freaks me out a little. I would say the frets are about a B, B- Should I just leave them alone?

3. The cracks in the finish. I saw a video with a man, a pipet, and some high viscosity CA glue. However he was dealing with actual fine cracks in the wood - again, should I leave them alone? The wood is fine. Some cracks run the entire length, but there are no pieces missing.

Sorry so long winded, just excited and want to play this girl.

Updates to this - my luthier belives I need to reset the neck too, so this is about to become a labor of love over brains...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gmaslin
Posted 2013-10-28 9:42 AM (#478371 - in reply to #478348)
Subject: Re: New member with an old guitar...

Which FirstAct model do you own?
ksdaddy
Posted 2013-10-28 9:56 AM (#478375 - in reply to #478348)

The aluminum frets can be leveled and recrowned, it just takes twice as long as a normal guitar because the frets are so squared off to begin with. As to the bridge, I invite you to look at one of my web pages:

http://www.angelfire.com/me4/ksdaddy/Applause_bridge_repair.html

Leave the finish cracks alone. It's not worth it.

The "neck reset" is easy because it's a bolt on neck. Shim it as needed. A little goes a long way. A shim 0.010" will make a difference.

Don't believe anyone who tells you this Applause is a piece of junk. Ovations get no respect? Applauses get less than that.

I have 41. I know what I'm talking about. I'll be a pariah if I have to be.
TAFKAR
Posted 2013-10-29 10:21 PM (#478447 - in reply to #478348)

I was waiting for ksdaddy to chip in here. If anyone knows anything about Applauses, it's him.
Tycobb48
Posted 2013-10-30 6:52 PM (#479479 - in reply to #478348)

Thanks guys! I spoke with another luthier in town and without looking at the guitar, told me all neck work is $350. Whew. Of course he would be happy to sell me a new one...The first act is a me952. I bought it used from my instructor who had been using onstage for awhile. Nice little guitar.http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/first_act/me952/ has a pic.

I like the idea of leaving the finish cracks, think it adds character, as long as it doesnt vibrate.

Anyone have an idea as to why the model number is only AA14, with no color code after? I wish i could get the ipad to cooperate with uploading pics.

PS - go Sox!
ksdaddy
Posted 2013-10-31 7:51 AM (#479498 - in reply to #478348)

He's offering to sell you a new Applause neck? I'd have to see it to believe it. If he has one, it's New Old Stock from 1983 or older. In '87 the folks at Ovation sold me a NOS Matrix neck but even then (26 years ago) they had to dig around under the porch steps and move a box of winter clothes out of the way to find it.

As to the labels, I've noted that too. My Guess (capital G) is that they had intentions of giving them the proper labels with the color code but found it was just easier to use generic AA14 labels. I'd have to look at mine, but I have some "colored" ones (as opposed to the typical natural or sunburst) and some have suffixes, most do not. I think a couple white ones have the suffix but I have several terra cotta and nutmeg brown that just say AA14.

Oddly enough, even I have some holes in the collection. I need a true "red" one (AA-14-2 I think) and a black one. I have a few AA-12's in black. The AA-12 is my secret weapon, and I wish Beal would answer my messages and confirm my speculation that the AA12 was a last ditch effort to use up parts before Moosup closed. The neck is black as opposed to woodgrain, and it has a plastic Academy top. Serious secret weapon. Sounds like a 55 gallon drum with strings.
Tycobb48
Posted 2013-10-31 9:17 AM (#479501 - in reply to #478348)

That AA12 sounds awesome. He wasn't offering a new neck for $350... Just a neck setup - that's it!

Edited by Tycobb48 2013-10-31 9:27 AM
Tycobb48
Posted 2013-11-07 8:33 AM (#479752 - in reply to #479501)

Took the lifted bridge off. It had been reglued by someone previously (actual glue run off below bridge, must of glued then stood up) i'm going to try to post pics, sometimes the ipad doesn't cooperate with forums...I noticed when I took it off that a plastic guide post was actually broken off in its hole, but a new one put on the bridge. The bridge must of never been flat after the reglue - the broken peg wasn't reemed out. If anyone has ipad pic posting tips I'd appreciate it!
Tycobb48
Posted 2013-11-07 8:36 AM (#479753 - in reply to #478348)

Yeah, no dice on the pics. Get an error about the forum software being from Windows 2003...I'll figure something else out...
speedingpenguin
Posted 2013-11-14 9:43 PM (#479928 - in reply to #478348)

Hi Ty,

Not sure where you are in MA, if you're still looking for someone who can bring that guitar back to life you might want to check out Finest Action in Methuen, the tech there (Sam) has done great work with my guitars and really cares about the instruments he works on, no matter if it's something really high end or beginner level, and very reasonable pricing as well. I'm picking up my '84 Collectors tomorrow morning, needed some fretwork, cleaning, and a set up (can't wait!)

As far as pics, can you upload them to a 3rd party website (such as tinypic) and embed the image code into the form post?

Good luck with the guitar,

-Chris from Chelmsford, MA
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)