The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
6868 Standard Elite

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

Gamr23
Posted 2013-07-31 2:49 PM (#473723)
Subject: 6868 Standard Elite

Hope you don't mind I had posted this question in another section, (for sale section) but decided it might get a little more attention here...

I was looking at the Model chart....and it says this 6868 Standard Elite is a SHALLOW bowl....other places I have read says it is a SUPER SHALLOW bowl....which is it because I need to order a case for it. The Serial is #488147 so I believe this puts it manufactured in 1995.

I forgot to say....I picked it up for $299.00 ....how did I do? What would you say it would be worth....just curious?

I believe I saw one just like it on Ebay...(kinda like a very light red to cherry color...very light) it claims to have a Solid Sitka top, is this more desirable than say a AAA or a AA spruce top? Sorry for my noob question I am just learning about options, woods etc. (I still can't believe what a monster I have created...this "O-bsession has consumed my days and nights...please help me calm the beast!)

Thanks for your help
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-07-31 8:58 PM (#473729 - in reply to #473723)
Subject: Re: 6868 Standard Elite

You did Good.

How much is it worth?
How much did you Pay for it?
That is what it's monetary value was on that day.

How much would you Sell it for?
That is how much it is worth to you.

Do you like it?
Don't worry about the monetary value.
Damon67
Posted 2013-08-01 10:44 AM (#473747 - in reply to #473723)

There are too many different 6868s. They've been around a while and have changed over the course of time. Really you need to post pictures and show or describe the preamp to get any real answers.

Gamr23
Posted 2013-08-01 12:07 PM (#473756 - in reply to #473723)

I didn't know that...thank you for your wisdom...it arrives today...so I will post some pictures when I get it. Also I do know it has the OP-24E pre-amp if this helps identify the known bowl style. I didn't know that they made different bowl depths, and pre-amp options back then in 1995...would these then being so different be custom orders or not? Just curious.
Can't wait to play an authentic American Made Ovation...still can't believe I found one!!! I have only ever played two Ovations a Korean made CS257 (which started this "O-bsession) and a CC44 a Chinese made model...even though it played fairly smooth, (after a good setup) it felt stiff and dry...in fact the Korean made CS257 just ate it up on tone and playability...(no comparison actually) this is what drove me to my quest to find a REAL AMERICAN made "O." Should be here soon...
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-08-01 2:00 PM (#473761 - in reply to #473723)

You're about in the same spot I was a few years ago. There are so many different Ovation models out there that it can be overwhelming. Just keep reading and playing.
Damon67
Posted 2013-08-01 3:00 PM (#473765 - in reply to #473723)

OK, the preamp confirms the era. '95 sounds good.

There's no such thing as a "Shallow" bowl. The choices are:

Deep
Artist
Super Shallow
Mid
Contour

Yours is a super shallow.

Congrats! I used to have an Super Shallow Elite Special from that time frame and it was superb.
Gamr23
Posted 2013-08-02 12:56 AM (#473786 - in reply to #473723)

Well my 6868 Standard Elite arrived today from GC and I have good news and bad news....

First the good news: A surprisingly decent older guitar...no dents, nicks, or finish damage at all, no where around the edges can I see any physical damage at all. Neck is straight as an arrow, and the action (even though it has some really old strings on it) is quite good...a new set of strings and some TLC and it would be good to go.

Bad news: Put in a brand new Duracell battery...and can't get a sound of out it...it appears that either its getting no power to the pre-amp (by the way I was wrong it is an OP-24+ not an E...my bad...or the pre-amp is completely dead in the water...I still can't believe GC would sell me an instrument that doesn't work...well I guess this is the risk you take buying an instrument sight unseen...drag!!!!

Also I do notice the that the top of the guitar behind the bridge is raised up...not a lot...but when you run your hand over it...it feels elevated...is this called bridge pull? And in front of the bridge..towards the neck it seems concave...almost if it is sunk in a little bit not a lot but noticeable.

Thoughts vintage experts: Did I get a lemon...for $299.00? Should I pass on this one and get my money back or does it just need a new pre-amp? Can one be found? And is what I am describing about (about the bridge description) a major deterrent in owning this instrument?

Please guys I need real help on this one!

Thanks
Gamr23
Posted 2013-08-03 5:31 PM (#473824 - in reply to #473723)

I decided to return this guit...after all...sad but I believe this 6868 has seen better days. I called GC and they were very helpful...they were very apologetic and said they would send me a Return label in a few days....sad...but I guess this is the risk you take buying an instrument like this....sure would of loved to have owned a working American like this back in the day...who know maybe I'll find one in pawn shop like some of you guys do....I'll be keeping an eye out.

Thanks the help anyway,

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)