The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1114-4 folklore strap button

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

Roundback Rob
Posted 2013-07-27 2:04 PM (#473629)
Subject: 1114-4 folklore strap button

Just noticed my beautiful Folklore, doesn't have a neck side strap button installed. She has one on the other side though. Did these not come with one? 1972 model. I always play sitting, and hadn't noticed. doh!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-07-27 6:39 PM (#473633 - in reply to #473629)
Subject: Re: 1114-4 folklore strap button

My current 1114 is a 1979 model.
I had a strap button when I got it, and it LOOKED like an Ovation non-locking button.
I swapped it out for a Dunlop Locking Button...
That is when I discovered that the neck button did not have a "mollie" like other Ovation buttons.
It was only held in by a Wood-Screw into the Neck Block.

My 1979 model has a huge wood block...
So, if yours just has a huge wood block, you can just screw a regular strap button into it.
As long as you put it really close to the neck heel.

Now... To truly answer your question.
I think that the 1979 had a factory button.
I also believe that my 1981 had a factory button. (this guitar is gone)
I believe that my 1976 did NOT have a factory button, but had a button screwed into the neck heel.
(that guitar is in Canada, so the new owner my answer that)
muzza
Posted 2013-07-27 11:42 PM (#473638 - in reply to #473629)

My early 70s Folklore has plain black strap pins, one in the normal position on the 'bum' and the other just below the heel mounted on the lyrachord on the front end.

They look original... I think...
Roundback Rob
Posted 2013-07-28 2:05 PM (#473651 - in reply to #473629)

That's weird, that mine doesnt have one! Maybe it left the factory without it, and nobody noticed. I think I will install one, and maybe install it on the bottom of the heel, as I read Dan Savage did his that way to prevent "belly flop" problem ha. I have a broken celebrity that I can steal it from "they look almost identical" or buy a screw in type, if the celebrity doesn't work.
DanSavage
Posted 2013-08-04 10:00 PM (#473837 - in reply to #473651)

Below is a pic showing what I did on my cutaways to solve the 'belly flop' problem. I did this on the Celebrity shown here and on my 2078TX.

My `95 1719 CL had the strap button to the upper bass bout and it wanted to 'belly flop' severely --as bad as the Celebrity and 2078TX. Naturally.

But, the 1719 doesn't have a cutaway, so mounting the strap button to the side of the neck block wasn't an option.

My `83 1655 has the strap button mounted to the upper treble bout and it doesn't 'belly flop' at all.

I found some at the hardware store that matched the same basic dimensions and had the same thread, but they were cadmium-plated instead of black. So, I contacted John Budny and he sent me a few of the factory mollies.

I read somewhere online that the best way to set a molly is to use a molly setting tool. This squeezes the metal legs without the molly twisting in the hole. I also read that you can use rivet pliers. Since I've already got a decent set of rivet pliers, I opted to use these.

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the same spot on my 1719 as the 1655 and installed the molly, then screwed in the strap button.

Now, the 1719 no longer wants to do the 'belly flop'.

Nordicnorm
Posted 2013-08-06 12:33 AM (#473847 - in reply to #473629)

My '76, which came from oma has upgraded (larger/chrome) buttons. The one at the south end is held in place with the original black screw and molly on the inside, the one screwed into the Lyracord and neck support block just below the heel, is held in place by a chrome or stainless screw that does not look like an original installation, so it is possible that it was installed at a later date, maybe when the strap buttons were upgraded.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)