The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Battery Holder Keeps coming loose on my "new" Ovation 1755

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

Jimmer
Posted 2013-05-23 4:04 PM (#470832)
Subject: Battery Holder Keeps coming loose on my "new" Ovation 1755

After years of lusting for a 12 string guitar, I just picked up a really nice Ovation 1755 12-String. The instrument is in superb condition. The action is very low and it plays like a dream. I keep it in a room with very stable temperature and humidity and to my surprise the pitch and tune almost never change.

The only issue I have is that the battery holder has popped off twice now. The first time was when I was putting on a strap for the first time and forgot how easily Ovations can flip over. The second time I put the case down a little too hard on the ground.

I know how to loosen the strings and get to it to put it back on. My question(s) - Can I buy a replacement from someplace? Is there a trick to keeping them from popping off?

Thanks

Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-05-23 4:34 PM (#470834 - in reply to #470832)
Subject: Re: Battery Holder Keeps coming loose on my "new" Ovation 1755

Replacement is good...

Also, you might get a foam/cork/rubber washer to go around the keyhole hole...
That would likely cause the "key" to hold more securely.

If all else fails... VELCRO!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-05-23 5:00 PM (#470836 - in reply to #470832)

Assuming it's the type where you turn the screw a quarter turn on the outside to release the battery holder inside--pull it out and see if the slot or the "key" are worn. The slot might be bendable so that it holds tighter. An easier remedy is similar to what Arthur said. If the foam is worn or compacted, it won't hold tight. You should have to compress the foam in order to get the "key" to turn in the slot. If it is sloppy, just slip or glue a new piece of foam on the holder until it takes a good deal of pressure to get the key to turn in the slot. I just changed the battery in my 87 Collector last night and it took a good amount of pushing to get it to fit. There might also be a way to adjust the length of the key from inside the bowl.
Jimmer
Posted 2013-05-24 2:59 PM (#470880 - in reply to #470832)

Well I worked on it last night. The "keyhole" was kind of buggered and probably a little larger than it should be so I kind of bent it smaller with plyers and a screw driver. The foam ring as a bit compressed and won't stick on to the holder. I took some thick spongy double-sided tape and attached it to the holder to make the foam a bit thicker. It seems to have worked and it took a bit more force to attach it so maybe this time it will stay on...especially if I stop putting the case down too quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions gang!

I'll have to post a picture of the new axe...it's a purdy intrument and it sounds so sweet.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)