The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
newbe checking in

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

essde
Posted 2013-03-28 11:27 PM (#468952)
Subject: newbe checking in

I've been playing my 1657-7 '78, (#126517) Anniversary since (I think) '80 when I bought it used from a Seattle music store. It's always been my go-to guitar for practice and I play it often. I think it gets better every year although I have fret wear, fret end rise, and this last year it developed a crack below the bridge (could be surface), intonation is still perfect and the gold plating on my tuners still sparkles!
I am and since 1980 have been an Ovation fan and I'll probably keep it forever. The only guitar I've played that sustains better is a Breedlove.
When I bought it there was a matching 12-string 1658 and I'm still kicking myself for not getting it at the same time. Actually, my cloudy memory remembers the sales guy who was the American Music store manager said "you'll be sorry!" He also said something about Glen Campbell that did not register at the time. Like" he sometimes drops off his guitars instead of taking them with him when he comes to town for a concert" but I just figured it was to get me to buy it. I found out later that he had been in town but who knows?
Too bad I've waited so long to find your site, I'm having a great time going over the posts and info.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TAFKAR
Posted 2013-03-28 11:35 PM (#468953 - in reply to #468952)
Subject: Re: newbe checking in

Welcome. Hope you stick around. A moderator will be around to grant you full access soon. Not sure what you mean by fret end rise, but have you oiled the fretboard lately?
Damon67
Posted 2013-03-29 12:21 AM (#468955 - in reply to #468952)

welcome essde, you're all set to post in the other sections now.

That's one of my favorite Ovations. I have one too. I also noticed one on craigslist in seattle for a rediculous price $500 or something like that.

FWIW, I've bought 2 new Ovations from American Music.... but over here in Bellevue.

Edited by Damon67 2013-03-29 12:24 AM
essde
Posted 2013-03-29 7:06 PM (#468984 - in reply to #468952)

Thanks for the welcome D and T. I actually purchased my 1657 from the Bellevue Wa. store also.
About the frets: some are exposing a sharp edge where they have raised up just a bit on the bottom and top edge of the fret board. This has happened before and I had a technician round the edge and he dressed them at that time. Probably time for some pro work again.
I read that some people actually send their Ovations back to the factory, sounds expensive. anyone tried this?
TAFKAR
Posted 2013-03-29 7:58 PM (#468989 - in reply to #468952)

Lots have people have sent theirs back and rave about both the quality of the work AND the price.
Damon67
Posted 2013-03-30 10:34 AM (#469015 - in reply to #468952)

essde, what's the humidity where you're keeping it? This is the time of year those sorts of things start happening if you aren't keeping the axes properly moisturized.

I have a humidifier with a hygrometer, and it's been running 80% of the time this past month or so. I would REALLY suggest you check that out first.

As for the people who rave about the quality of Mother's work, I'm one of them. That's why I joined here initially, looking for a place to get fretwork done on my UKII.

IMHO Mike Lull is the best for fretwork if you're looking for a local resource. He has a Plek machine, and one of the best reputations in the biz.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)