The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Filing a nut without a nut fie?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

Roundback Rob
Posted 2013-02-21 7:17 PM (#465666)
Subject: Filing a nut without a nut fie?

So I had this old Celebrity that never got played, because it never had a setup. I was going to have the nut filed, but the guitar is barely worth it. I got to thinking how to do it myself, and save my cash for food ha. I took the strings off and cut a 12' section off of every string, and set aside, got me a candle and heated up the first string, and than carefully burned the groove deeper, a little at a time (I checked progress with a full string. resting on the bridge and in the groove, that I deepened) I still have some filing to bring the nut down a bit, but all seems to be OK, aside from some funny looking burn marks on the nut. Turned out better than I thought, and free. Now I have a campfire guitar.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-02-21 7:40 PM (#465667 - in reply to #465666)
Subject: Re: Filing a nut without a nut fie?

You may have actually given yourself more work than you need. If you ensure the fretboard and headstock are protected for scratching by using masking or painters tape, you can actually just use the string as is to "file" the slots a little deeper. Also as an alternative to actual fret tools you can purchase jewelers files. If you go to a hobby store or actual hardware store, you can usually find tiny files. If you are lucky you may find some that actually have edge files or tiny round files that are the right size and can be used. Usually under $20 for a whole set.
photoweborama
Posted 2013-02-21 8:05 PM (#465669 - in reply to #465666)

If you can't afford nut files (which are very expensive), go to Home Depot and pick up a Welding Tip cleaner file kit for about $5.00. For the occasional job, they work just fine, except the B & E strings. you will have to use an X-Acto saw for those, the slots are usually too thin. In a pinch, I've just used a razor knife for those strings.

YMMV of course.

Edited by photoweborama 2013-02-21 8:06 PM
Roundback Rob
Posted 2013-02-21 8:14 PM (#465670 - in reply to #465666)

I thought about using the strings (hacksaw style) but, what about the unwound strings. Remember, I have to eat ha
ksdaddy
Posted 2013-02-22 6:07 AM (#465678 - in reply to #465666)

I take an old coping saw blade and file some of the 'set' off the sides, making it thinner. I've done that for years even though I do have a Stew mac catalog and a Visa card.

In 1977 I built a dulcimer from a kit and that was the suggestion they had in the instructions for fitting a coping saw to cut the fret slots. Trail and error on a piece of scrap wood. Keep filing the saw blade thinner until the frets won't pop out of the slot cut in scrap.

I've also done the same thing with hacksaw blades for the wound strings.

Crude method in anno domini 2013? Yep. But I'm absurdly fussy about the fit of a nut and those are the tools I choose.
MWoody
Posted 2013-02-22 7:55 AM (#465681 - in reply to #465666)

The best I've found for plastic and bone is the feeler gage style.
photoweborama
Posted 2013-02-22 1:28 PM (#465694 - in reply to #465666)

I guess I should have included a picture of the welding tip cleaner set.
They have been very popular on other guitar forums. The set includes a series of round files that can be used to properly cut the bottom of the nut slot with a nice round bottom.

MWoody
Posted 2013-02-22 9:15 PM (#465712 - in reply to #465666)

I forget what they are called but here they are in action.

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?a...

sycamore
Posted 2013-04-17 3:18 AM (#469632 - in reply to #465666)

I've had some success by filing the back of the nut absolutely flat, lowering the overall height of the nut. Only works if the slots are right relative to each other though.

Edited by sycamore 2013-04-17 3:20 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)