The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
op-40 and preshape

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

dwg preacher
Posted 2013-02-07 5:00 PM (#465024)
Subject: op-40 and preshape

Can someone please explain to me, in idiot's laguage, exactly what the preshape feature does? I've scanned archives and the vault and seen a couple of comments about using it, but, as is well documented, I am a moron, and still don't get it.

From the website:
"8.PRESHAPE: Engages or bypasses a fixed tone enhancement circuit."
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-02-08 1:43 AM (#465040 - in reply to #465024)
Subject: Re: op-40 and preshape

Pre-Shape lessens the Mids and/or raises the Bass and Treble.
Kinda like if you moved the sliders into a Smiley face.

I have never used an OP-40, but on a OP-30 I strum with the Pre-Shape in... Pick with it out.
dwg preacher
Posted 2013-02-08 7:03 AM (#465051 - in reply to #465024)

Ok. Now one of the comments I read on a previous thread makes perfect sense. I thought the guy was being told to set his eq to a smiley face and then engage the preshape. It sounds like this is most advantageous at higher spls? I will tinker with it a bit but I'm guessing with the processors I use, I won't have a lot of use for it.
Damon67
Posted 2013-02-08 2:30 PM (#465065 - in reply to #465024)

I would do the exact opposite, hit the button first, then adjust the eq... and i also don't believe in 'smilie faces' You adjust it depending on what you need. A boost on the mids right before a lead will make you stand out... that wouldlook more like a frown

FWIW, I keep the preshape pushed for the most part, and the eq is uaually pretty flat across the spectrum unless I feel it needs adjusting.

Edited by Damon67 2013-02-08 2:33 PM
dwg preacher
Posted 2013-02-08 7:46 PM (#465087 - in reply to #465024)

So you're saying if it's pushed, disengaging it just before a lead will produce that mid-boost? I keep the eq on my LX set in a frown, with a little less treble than bass. I'm expecting the T to be different, especially because of the different preamps, but it seems I should expect settings at least similar?
dwg preacher
Posted 2013-02-18 10:03 AM (#465443 - in reply to #465024)

Well, the T has arrived. And contrary to my previous understanding (no misrepresentation on the seller's part), it is equipped with the OP-30, not the -40. I was looking forward to playing around with a notch filter (something seems really "rocker" about cranking the volume up to a constant feedback loop ), but no biggie. AND, I realize that the "pre eq" button on my OP-Pro is the same as the preshape button on the OP-40... I've been playing my 6778 all the time with that engaged, thinking that it was just a bypass switch for the onboard eq. But this OP-30 has a "eq in-out" button as well as a pre eq button. Learning new stuff is so cool!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)