The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Thunderhead w/Vibrato tailpiece (repair questions)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

davidpetersonharvey
Posted 2013-01-30 4:04 AM (#464736)
Subject: Thunderhead w/Vibrato tailpiece (repair questions)

Hi, all, new to the site and hoping I'm posting this in the correct place.

I have a red Ovation Thunderhead with the whammy bar. The pickups are not original and it's not in pristine condition but it plays and sounds great and I want to do some repairs. Perhaps you have advice on how to go about this. It doesn't have to remain all original.

1) Where can I get a replacement three selector switch and pots for this guitar? I'm going to try cleaning them first but they may need to be replaced.

2) I assume the posts on the pots are a standard size and I can buy replacement knobs. Is this correct?

3) The guitar does drift out of tune a bit. I think it's the tailpiece. Do you know where I can get a straight tailpiece to fit without the vibrato bar?

4) The finish is cracked pretty badly on the face. Where can I find information on refinishing the face?

I hope some of you will be able to offer some advice.

Peace,
David
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2013-01-30 8:55 PM (#464760 - in reply to #464736)
Subject: Re: Thunderhead w/Vibrato tailpiece (repair questions)

Welcome! Please post some pictures. Pots and switches are the easy part, finding pickups that are original or fit right can be harder. A "Whammy Bar" on a twelve string? I would think that's a recipe for tuning troubles. The Storms were originally in Lacquer so repairs are easier. Show us what you got!

So, I just looked at your profile to see where you were from (OFCer nearby?) and saw this:

It's been modded but that doesn't change value on these 8-(

I bet someone has a replacement tail stop. How do you like the sound?

Edited by MWoody 2013-01-30 9:00 PM
davidpetersonharvey
Posted 2013-02-02 8:10 PM (#464872 - in reply to #464736)
Subject: Re: Thunderhead w/Vibrato tailpiece (repair questions)

MWoody,

Hi, and thank you so much for the response!

That's the guitar I'm talking about. It's a six-string Ovation Thunderhead. I'd been playing a very short time (a couple of months or so) and the little $5 garage sale guitar shredded my fingers one day when I played all day. Dad found this for $220 in the Greensheet because a musician needed the money to pay for his insurance. I have always loved this guitar.

I was talked into these pickups when I was green but they sound great. The switch needs to be replaced. The pots may just do with a cleaning but there is a big grounding problem and I'm thinking of just changing all the pots and wiring. I would like to replace the whammy bar soon with a regular tailpiece. I don't use a whammy bar and it does cause tuning drift.

I don't know where the original pickguard is stored or the original pickups. However, since I love the sound and want to perform and record with it, I'm happy to just get it into good playing shape right now.

I don't know where to get parts for it, so any help with information on the following from anyone on the group would be appreciated.

1. Pots and wiring.
2. Wiring schematic.
3. Tailpiece.
4. Pickguard.
5. Instructions or advice on how to repair the lacquer finish.

Peace,
David
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)