The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hi All From Down Under

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Aussie
Posted 2013-01-29 4:07 AM (#464681)
Subject: Hi All From Down Under

Hi All,

Just joined and looking forward to reading some good advice.

I've started looking at getting another guitar and really like the idea of an Ovation acoustic. I'm definitely wanting an acoustic to play around with and write a little music, nothing too serious.

I've playing an ovation before but it was a long time ago and I don't know what the model was but I really enjoyed playing it. I loved the unique sound and the feel of it.

I currently have a very old Vintage series cheap electric (my very first guitar when I was in school), a Yamaha AXP-4A (good fun) and my favorite Les Paul Studio. I've mainly been an electric guitar player but want to do more acoustic stuff. As a result I'm after some advice.

I like the look of the Ovation Elite OV 2078AX-BCB, Ovation CC49S-VA and the CC48-PD, but I don't really know what to look at. It's really hard to get much of a range down under!

Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TAFKAR
Posted 2013-01-29 5:15 AM (#464684 - in reply to #464681)
Subject: Re: Hi All From Down Under

Hi Aussie, welcome aboard! When a moderator comes along to give you full access, check out the Downunderers section - there's a growing number of Aussies here. Which part of Oz are you from? The general advice you'll get here is that the US made models are the best. AX/TX/CC means its made outside the US. They can be good guitars for the money, but the US made ones sing. If there is a member living near you, they will generally let you have a try of some of theirs.
Aussie
Posted 2013-01-29 5:26 AM (#464686 - in reply to #464684)

Hi TAFKAR,

Thanks for the heads up, good to hear about the dowunders section, didn't know it was there. Looking forward to reading because as I said there is little info or shops that stock the Ovations in Aus.

I'm in Melbourne. I'm assuming the US made ones are a lot more expensive!
TAFKAR
Posted 2013-01-29 5:47 AM (#464689 - in reply to #464681)

They are more expensive, but a second hand one from US eBay, or from an OFC member can work out well - especially if you know someone coming back from the US who can bring it back on the plane.
Aussie
Posted 2013-01-29 6:03 AM (#464690 - in reply to #464689)

It's always that fine balance of cost versus desire!
muzza
Posted 2013-01-29 6:23 AM (#464692 - in reply to #464681)

Welcome Aussie. (a lot of thought went into that name, eh?

What sort of money are you looking at spending? I may have a 2005ES Collectors for sale.

The regulars here can vouch for it in looks, playability, tone and how much I love it. But I've got to move one of my Ovations and my other one (1970's Folklore) is pretty irreplaceable.
Aussie
Posted 2013-01-29 6:44 AM (#464693 - in reply to #464692)

I thought the name may already be taken so laughed when it got through.

Good question. Not sure yet, only started looking the other day. I started at 500, then 700 and now can't help looking at those worth 1000 :-)

To be honest I'm a little way off at the moment but I like to do a lot of research on these things and learn what I can. Mind you that went out the door when i first found and bought my les Paul !

I really like the 2078lx's but that's as far as I've gotten.
muzza
Posted 2013-01-29 7:05 AM (#464694 - in reply to #464693)

My '05 cost me a smidgin under $2k to import from the US in 2005 when the dollar was only worth about $0.70. I don't have documentary proof, but I'm pretty certain that it was the first contour bowl to come to Australia - not that that adds any value. The only other '05ES that I know of in Oz belongs to our very own McBarry. 

I wouldv'e liked to have gotten my money back but it's not quite 'mint'. It's got a small nick in the heel of the neck and one on the tip of the headstock. (Real small) So I'd be looking at around $1.5k - negotiable. Includes the top-of-the-line Ovation hard shell

Probably more than you're willing to spend by the sound of it. 

Aussie
Posted 2013-01-29 2:28 PM (#464714 - in reply to #464694)

Appreciate the offer and it does sound pretty cool, but yeah was hoping to spend quite a bit less than that. Would have looked at that price range if my Yamaha was worth selling and made up some of the difference but sadly it ain't worth much! I also need to get my Marshall Valvestate 8200 fixed so money to burn there as well unfortunately.

Given the dollar is so good, looking to import a US model, but may wait to see if I can get a friend to bring one back for me to save on shipping.

Damon67
Posted 2013-01-30 3:53 PM (#464754 - in reply to #464681)

I've always wanted a try at an 05c.

Aussie welcome. Your newbie detention has been lifted. Feel free to post through the site.
Aussie
Posted 2013-01-31 3:10 PM (#464785 - in reply to #464754)

Thanks Damon67!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)