The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Solid Body OHSC

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> Ovation Electric GuitarsMessage format

Puppetman
Posted 2013-01-17 9:38 PM (#464332)
Subject: Solid Body OHSC

Does anybody know who actually made the Solid Body brown vacuum-formed cases? I know about the history of the Lifton and Gieb acoustic cases. But, man, information is scarce on the Solid Body cases(Breadwinners, Deacons, Vipers, Preachers, UKIIs, Magnums).

I found this much:
For the Preacher/Viper guitars, there is only one model case and it will fit both 12 and 6 string guitars. This is the history:
Before the 12-String Deacon was introduced, the cases were about 1 inch shorter and fit the 6 string models perfectly. They would not fit the later 12-String models. After the 12-String was introduced, the new cases were slightly longer and would fit both 6 and 12 string models. So, if you have a case with the brown rectangular feet attached on the bottom, they will not fit a 12-String. The later cases had the ball bearing feet and those are the ones that fit both 6 and 12 string models.
The UK-II case is about 1/4 of an inch deeper. It will fit in a Viper/Preacher but it's a tight fit and usually bends the valance after a while. The easiest way to tell if it's a UK-II case is that the UK-II case has a curve in the interior where the body rests. The Viper/Preacher cases are flat in that area.
The early Breadwinner/Deacon case from before the 12's were in production are different from later ones. The later cases were redesigned to take either a 6 or 12, but the early ones are a little too short. The early ones taper a little more towards the head, and the texturing is less smooth compared to the later versions.

Thanks for any more info...

Dennis
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Puppetman
Posted 2013-01-20 7:04 PM (#464404 - in reply to #464332)
Subject: Re: Solid Body OHSC

Well, for those interested, I took measurements of my cases and found some interesting oddities. I have 4 Breadwinner/Deacon cases ... all the same length. The overall length as well as the length of the headstock pocket are the same on all 4. 3 have the plastic rectangular feet, 1 has the metal rounded feet. The last one mentioned and 1 of the others has purple plush lining while the other 2 have the more common brown interior. The information I read on a post (as quoted above) states that a metal foot case would accomodate a 12-string. But a 12-String won't fit in the one I have. So, I'm guessing the metal feet on a Breadwinner/Deacon case doesn't automatically mean it will fit a 12-String. It's the overall length that will determine if it fits or not.

Info for what it's worth.
roggli
Posted 2013-08-06 4:58 PM (#473863 - in reply to #464332)

And ?
MWoody
Posted 2013-08-06 5:21 PM (#473866 - in reply to #464332)

Slow day EB?

I love this place!
Puppetman
Posted 2013-08-06 7:42 PM (#473869 - in reply to #464332)

Just trying to get some accurate info on the cases.
Thanks to John Budny, I now know the brown cases were made by a company in Florida called Freistat. They no longer are in business.
gmaslin
Posted 2013-10-16 7:58 PM (#478019 - in reply to #464332)

Puppetman
Do you know if any of the Ovation Korean Strats like the Applause would fit in the standard black case? Who is the best person to ask about the Korean guitars?
Puppetman
Posted 2013-10-16 10:48 PM (#478023 - in reply to #464332)

Don't have any first-hand knowledge about those cases. The GS that I have did not come with a case. Mr. Ovation might have an answer since he has owned several of the Korean produced GS guitars. As far as the Applause Strat-style guitars, you might make a separate post appealing for info. Sorry I couldn't help.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2013-10-17 4:53 AM (#478026 - in reply to #464332)

I'm pretty sure the GS models and the Applause strat styles fit generic strat style cases to a point. There are some differences that can get in the way depending on the specific model and specific case. As example.. The GS's came in a Kahler bridge as well as Fulcrum so not all cases accommodate the Kahler. Same for the Applause models, but I think there were also some reverse headstock style applause models (but memory running thin here) that may be an issue also.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-10-17 11:07 AM (#478027 - in reply to #464332)

My GS III with a Fulcrum bridge came in a rectangular Jackson guitar case, which I assume was a Strat style guitar. Fits fine. I've never tried my GS2 in it. It came in a soft case. Maybe I'll try it in the Jackson case tonight if anyone wants that info.
gmaslin
Posted 2013-10-17 4:30 PM (#478031 - in reply to #464332)

Mark in Boise
If you have a standard Ovation solid body case, I'd like to know for sure the Korean Ovations won't fit.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2013-10-17 9:52 PM (#478038 - in reply to #464332)

This is what an Ultra GSII Case looks like...

I imagine that all of the Strat-style GS cases look like this.

Just thought that I would throw this out there.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-10-17 11:07 PM (#478039 - in reply to #478031)

gmaslin - 2013-10-17 3:30 PM

Mark in Boise
If you have a standard Ovation solid body case, I'd like to know for sure the Korean Ovations won't fit.

Confirmed. The "standard" Ovation case fits the Viper and UKII, but not the Ultra GS. I assume it fits the Preacher, too, since there is room for 2 horns, but there's a pretty obvious difference between the Les Paul shape and the Strat shape. The upper horn sticks way too far out.
If you have a "standard" case you don't need, let me know.
gmaslin
Posted 2013-10-18 6:46 AM (#478042 - in reply to #464332)

Mark in Boise
Conversely, if you have a solid body you don't need... 8^)
dvd
Posted 2013-10-18 10:09 AM (#478050 - in reply to #478042)

gmaslin, I have a red Ultra GS3 that's not getting any playing time. It's the top one from this listing http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=33... contact me if you're interested.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2013-10-18 11:28 AM (#478055 - in reply to #464332)

Contact dvd first. His is in much better shape than mine. I used my GSIII almost every day for a year as my electric for guitar lessons. Then I rotated with the Viper, but now that I have the UKII I hardly play it. It's still a great guitar and I'm not anxious to get rid of it. Like a Fat Strat with all different combinations of the two single and one double pickups with a splitter for the humbucker. I don't remember if a Fat Strat has a splitter for the humbucker.
Anyway, it's a great guitar at a crazy cheap price.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)