The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
The History of the Bowl

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

DanSavage
Posted 2013-01-05 11:41 AM (#463859)
Subject: The History of the Bowl

A lot has been written about the revolutionary design of the Ovation guitar. But surprisingly little information is available about the Ovation guitar's most prominent feature --the bowl.

I'm starting this thread because I am facinated with the design and fabrication of molded fiberglass parts and would like to discuss/document the Ovation bowls. I'd also like to talk about the different stages of bowls and possibly obtain photos of these, especially the earliest bowls made before 1968.

I've gleaned some information from the book, 'The History of the Ovation Guitar'. ('the book') It has some detail about the manufacture of the bowls from 1974 onward. But, information about the bowls made before 1974 is a little sketchy. For example, the first bowls were hand-laid over male molds using clear plastic sheet and vacuum to produce very high-quality parts. But, after a couple of years, ways to reduce the amount of time and effort to produce these parts were sought. So, the molding process was changed to hand-laid inside a female mold.

I had thought that vacuum was applied to the inside of the female molds. But, an early Balladeer project guitar that was missing the entire top came up for sale on eBay recently. The missing top wood allowed an unfettered view of the inside of the bowl. From pics of this guitar I can see that the bowls molded in the female molds were pretty crude-looking affairs, much like any hand-laid parts. The serial number on this particular example (G 552) dates it to being manufactured between 1968 and 1970. This date range is about the same time-frame that is mentioned on page 26 of 'the book'.

Of particular interest in the pics is the extra layers of fiberglass reinforcement applied to the 'tailstock' area. I'm not sure if this was done at the factory or if this was a repair done by a luthier. I would appreciate it if anyone can take a look at this area in their early Ovation to see if theirs has these extra layers of cloth.

History of the Ovation Guitar - PP. 26
2-ply cloth bowl hand-laid over male mold. Covered with clear plastic, apply vacuum and scrape excess resin.
High-quality, but time-consuming to produce, thus very high cost.

1968-1970
2-ply cloth bowl hand-laid in a female mold. (See: G 552 pics)

History of the Ovation Guitar - PP. 73
Until 1977 hand-laid bowls (polyester resin and woven fiberglass cloth) made in New Hartford, CT.
Applause guitars used sheet molding compound (SMC) manufactured by Zehrco in OH until 1981-82.
Due to strike threat at Zehrco, all bowl production (cloth & SMC) were brought to Moosup, CT facility.
Cloth bowls phased out in 1981 and all guitars were fitted with SMC bowls.
In eight years of production over 100,000 guitars were produced at Moosup facility. (1974 - 1982)

History of the Ovation Guitar - PP. 88
Moosup facility opened in 1974.
Both the low-end Applause, high-end Adamas and some of the solid-body Ovation guitars were developed at Moosup.

History of the Ovation Guitar - PP. 92
Moosup was closed in 1982-83.
Marion, NC facility opened in 1982-83.
Bowls (SMC) were made in Marion and sent to New Hartford, CT for Ovation/Adamas and to Korea for Applause guitars.
Standard Balladeer (SSB, CA & deep bowls) were the only model produced in significant numbers at Marion.
Marion facility closed in 1985.

History of the Ovation Guitar - PP. 94
Zehrco started molding Applause bowls (SMC) in 1974.
SMC bowl presses were moved to Marion in 1982.
In 1984 bowl production was moved back to Zehrco in OH.

2005 Factory Tour with Rick Hall
SMC is random glass fibers in a resin matrix.
SMC bowls are pressed into shape in heated compression molds.
Around 2001, Zehrco approached Ovation with idea of using lighter SMC.
Lighter SMC contains ~35-percent microscopic glass spheres, i.e.: microballoons. (Lyrachord GS)
GS in Lyrachord GS name stands for glass spheres.
Lyrachord GS bowls are ~35-percent lighter than standard SMC bowls.

Timeline
1966 - 1968
Hand-laid bowls over male molds.

1968 - 1970
Hand-laid bowls inside female molds.

Applause SMC bowls molded by Zehrco in OH begins.

1970 - 1977
Ovation hand-laid bowls made in New Hartford, CT.

Hand-laid bowls phased out.

All guitars begin using SMC bowls molded in Moosup.

1977 - 1984
SMC bowl production moved to Marion, NC.

All SMC bowl production moved back to Zehrco in OH.

Lyrachord GS bowl developed.

Photos:

1111 G 552 #1
1111 G 552 #2
1111 G 552 #3
1111 G 552 #4

1984 Factory Tour - SMC bowl molding

Edited by DanSavage 2013-01-05 11:44 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DanSavage
Posted 2013-01-05 1:48 PM (#463862 - in reply to #463859)
Subject: RE: The History of the Bowl

I would like to add that everyone should feel free to add whatever comments/photos to this thread.

Another interesting aspect of the photos of G 552 is the relatively crude looking neck block inside the bowl.

Strangely, the 5-piece laminated neck appears to be split in the same spot as it would if it used heel-block construction techniques.

Edited by DanSavage 2013-01-05 1:54 PM
jay
Posted 2013-01-05 8:48 PM (#463872 - in reply to #463862)

Hey Dan

Here are some pics from 485 and 1911

I could not tell any difference in the composition or cosmetic makeup of either guitar.

When I pulled out my point and shoot and looked at the pictures, I thought there were prehistoric drawings on my bowl, but alas, it appears to be possibly a .20 milkshake spill from 67

Pic1  Pic2  Pic3  Pic4 Pic5

moody, p.i.
Posted 2013-01-05 9:15 PM (#463875 - in reply to #463859)
Subject: Re: The History of the Bowl

You know, you can't play 2 old Ovations at the same time. You should send one of them (your choice) to me....
jay
Posted 2013-01-05 9:20 PM (#463876 - in reply to #463859)

How about you come get it.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2013-01-05 11:29 PM (#463881 - in reply to #463859)

I like this topic... thanks Dan. Even though I experienced this bowl transition real time, I admit I wasn't technically aware of what was really happening. I had an early artist, a pacemaker and a 1613 classic, in that order... through the 70's, all with glass cloth bowls. Light and thin, I would often push the deepest point of the bowl into an indentation, showing the qualities of the construction to newbies at the time. A chip in the outer resin of the classic revealed the white cloth weave beneath. When my '82 Legend arrived from the factory, the SMC bowl was noticeably different... as was my Adamas a year later. No longer able to push in on the back, seemed like solid plastic to me I remember thinking. In truth, I was so taken by the new K-bar necks, the new bowls quickly became an afterthought. I'll be interested in any insights the collective here might have.
DanSavage
Posted 2013-01-06 5:06 PM (#463906 - in reply to #463872)

Hi Jay!

Thanks for the pics. These are exactly the type of pics I was hoping to get.

Your serial numbers tell me that both bowls were hand-laid, vacuum-bagged over the male molds. Are you able to feel any texture of the fiberglass cloth weave with your fingers on the inside of the bowls?

Interestingly, in Pic #1, the bowl almost looks like there's some print-through of the fabric weave showing in the reflection of the neck. Is this just a weird reflection or can you see the weave of the fabric?

Pic #5 is also very interesting to me. I see several things.

1) It looks like the epoxy glue holding the wood block into which the strap button is screwed has let loose at some point.

It almost looks like the original 'doubler' was replaced at some point with the wood block shown in the photo. I say this because the block doesn't look like it would fit into the glue joint.

Do both guitars have this type of wood block or is one different from the other?

2) The inside of the bowl looks like it was sprayed with black paint because of the masking effect where the paint was not able to hit that allows the bare fiberglass to show through.

This is the other reason why I think this wood block was not original. It's bare wood, but missing paint below it shows the original 'doubler' was there when the inside of the bowl was sprayed.

3) What is that? It almost looks like some sort of sponge foam.

Pretty funny stuff about the vintage milkshake stain. If you're feeling really brave, you could taste it to see for sure...

amosmoses - 2013-01-05 6:48 PM

Hey Dan

Here are some pics from 485 and 1911

I could not tell any difference in the composition or cosmetic makeup of either guitar.

When I pulled out my point and shoot and looked at the pictures, I thought there were prehistoric drawings on my bowl, but alas, it appears to be possibly a .20 milkshake spill from 67

DanSavage
Posted 2013-01-06 5:22 PM (#463908 - in reply to #463881)

Thanks, Jonmark.

Yep. Your description of the 'thinness' of the bowls sounds like a hand-layup to me.

If you look at PP.13 of the 2007 Ovation Factory Tour on the Ovation Tribute site, you can see several hand-laid bowls in their 'natural' state. (See: PP.13)

The 'blueish' color looks to me like the primer. Where the primer has been sanded through, the natural fiberglass resin shows through as the 'greenish' color. The 'whiteish' color around the neck slot in the top of the body is where the skin of the molded fiberglass resin as been sanded through and is showing the interior of the fiberglass resin/cloth, itself.

I have an `82 1655, which was the first year of the SMC bowls and it's noticably thicker and less flexible than my 2078. The later Lyrachord GS bowls also seem vibrate more than the early SMC bowl. (belly rumble)

In fact, I've found that the back-door adds structural integrity. Whenever I remove it, the bowl is more flexible than when it's tightly clamped into place.

Jonmark Stone - 2013-01-05 9:29 PM

I like this topic... thanks Dan. Even though I experienced this bowl transition real time, I admit I wasn't technically aware of what was really happening. I had an early artist, a pacemaker and a 1613 classic, in that order... through the 70's, all with glass cloth bowls. Light and thin, I would often push the deepest point of the bowl into an indentation, showing the qualities of the construction to newbies at the time. A chip in the outer resin of the classic revealed the white cloth weave beneath. When my '82 Legend arrived from the factory, the SMC bowl was noticeably different... as was my Adamas a year later. No longer able to push in on the back, seemed like solid plastic to me I remember thinking. In truth, I was so taken by the new K-bar necks, the new bowls quickly became an afterthought. I'll be interested in any insights the collective here might have.

jay
Posted 2013-01-06 6:59 PM (#463913 - in reply to #463906)

Hey Dan...

I am not able to feel any cloth texture in the bowls...it is smooth to the touch.

Very nice observation...I hadnt noticed that...you can see the weave, when the light hits it right...especially around the corners.

P1

In regards to Pic5

1) I sent this guitar to the MS to have the bowl and soundboard polished. Kim commented to me it was the cleanest 67 that he could remember seeing. The tailpin was missing...so I imagine this is the MS repair.

2) Certainly makes sense

3) I am guessing that it is missing a brace, as you can see from the comparison pic from 495. When I feel it, it isn't foam, it feels like a very thin piece of wood. The top, below the bridge doesnt show any bellying and there are no lacquer cracks. hmmm...puzzled on what to do about this. The strip in 1911 is certainly wider than the brace in 485...and there are no glue globs.

485  1911  Closeup

"you could taste it to see for sure"

Sounds like one of Cheech and Chongs first routines...

Edited by jay 2013-01-06 7:06 PM
Nick B.
Posted 2013-01-06 9:00 PM (#463923 - in reply to #463906)

DanSavage - 2013-01-06 5:06 PM

3) What is that? It almost looks like some sort of sponge foam.

Pretty funny stuff about the vintage milkshake stain. If you're feeling really brave, you could taste it to see for sure...

Dan,

On the early Balladeers, there was a horizontal strip of fiberglass tape on the underside of the top.  Somewhere there's a drawing that shows it, but I can seem to locate it tonight.  Here's a photo from an an early Balladeer.  I'm not sure what that strip is the picture you posted.

Nick

(IMAG0237_sm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0237_sm.jpg (39KB - 2 downloads)
DanSavage
Posted 2013-01-07 9:29 AM (#463953 - in reply to #463913)

Hi Jay,

Print through is pretty common in the fiberglass industry and it's more of a visual problem than a structural one. It's usually caused by the resin shrinking or too much vacuum being applied to parts being vacuum bagged. It's also more of a problem with darker colors than lighter ones. It could be that during the course of its lifetime, this guitar sat in a stand for a while in a sunny spot.

There are ways to minimize it, such as laying down a layer of cloth with a finer weave on the exterior layer, which is what I do. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

1) Aha! That makes perfect sense.

3) I looked at the original patent documents and it looks like this may just be the fiberglass reinforcement.

It's interesting that 485 has a wood brace but 1911 does not. It's also interesting that 485 looks like it has a lot of excess resin on the back of the sound board while 1911 is almost perfectly clean wood in this area.

With instruments this old, it's nearly impossible to determine what kind of life they've had and what's been done to them over the years. It could be that some luthier who was ignorant of the early Ovation construction added the wood brace to 485 somewhere along the line.

Personally, if 1911 plays well and isn't bellying, then I wouldn't do anything. If the MS looked at it and gave it a passing grade, then I would leave well enough alone.

Thanks again for the pics.

Dan

amosmoses - 2013-01-06 4:59 PM

Hey Dan...

I am not able to feel any cloth texture in the bowls...it is smooth to the touch.

Very nice observation...I hadnt noticed that...you can see the weave, when the light hits it right...especially around the corners.

P1

In regards to Pic5

1) I sent this guitar to the MS to have the bowl and soundboard polished. Kim commented to me it was the cleanest 67 that he could remember seeing. The tailpin was missing...so I imagine this is the MS repair.

2) Certainly makes sense

3) I am guessing that it is missing a brace, as you can see from the comparison pic from 495. When I feel it, it isn't foam, it feels like a very thin piece of wood. The top, below the bridge doesnt show any bellying and there are no lacquer cracks. hmmm...puzzled on what to do about this. The strip in 1911 is certainly wider than the brace in 485...and there are no glue globs.

485  1911  Closeup

"you could taste it to see for sure"

Sounds like one of Cheech and Chongs first routines...

DanSavage
Posted 2013-01-07 9:34 AM (#463955 - in reply to #463923)

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info. I did a search online and found the original patent documents/drawings that describe the reinforcement strip you mention. (See below)

Dan

nickbtx - 2013-01-06 7:00 Pm

Dan,

On the early Balladeers, there was a horizontal strip of fiberglass tape on the underside of the top.  Somewhere there's a drawing that shows it, but I can seem to locate it tonight.  Here's a photo from an an early Balladeer.  I'm not sure what that strip is the picture you posted.

Nick

Edited by DanSavage 2013-01-07 9:36 AM
DanSavage
Posted 2013-01-10 1:01 AM (#464070 - in reply to #463859)

Another example of an early Ovation came up for sale on eBay. (Thanks, Jay!)

Like G 552, the serial number/date (A-913) tells me this is the second generation bowl hand-laid inside a female mold. (1968-1970)

The weave showing inside confirms it. It's interesting to see the differences in the lay-up technique between this example and G 552. Lay-ups inside female molds requires a more careful technique than over male molds to achieve consistent part thickness. This is probably part of the reason why these were considered inferior to the earlier generation of bowls hand-laid and vacuum-bagged over male molds.

1111 A-913 #1
1111 A-913 #2
1111 A-913 #3

DanSavage
Posted 2014-05-14 8:50 PM (#486691 - in reply to #463859)

TJR recently sent me some pics I thought were very interesting, so I thought I'd share.

The first two pics show a 1st Generation hand-laid bowl.

As someone who's done this type of molding there were several details that jumped out at me.

If you read 'The Book', the process for making laying up these bowls is described on PP. 26.

While the 2x2 twill weave cloth can easily form over this kind of shape, the clear plastic sheet is used for for molding over a compound curved back cannot fully conform to the shape. It folds over and wrinkles when the vacuum is applied. This produces the characteristic ridges and valleys we can see in the photos along the sides and radius to the back. Once the resin has cured, these need to be sanded smooth, which we can see in this bowl.

TJR relates that this bowl is noticably smaller than the modern bowl he sent me and would fit inside the modern bowl with room to spare.

In this next photo we see a laminated wooden plug.

This is from a very early development period. We can tell this because of the slab sides and lack of radius between the back and the sides along the upper and lower bouts. It also has more of a dreadnaught shape rather than the pinched-waist OM-style used by virtually all Ovation guitars.

I suspect this was from a mid-step engineering test between the flat-backed fiberglass design and the fully-radiused design seen in the pics above.

This type of construction is fairly normal for mold-making. Being solid wood, I'll bet it weighs a ton.

Edited by DanSavage 2014-05-14 8:56 PM
marenostrum
Posted 2014-05-15 12:28 PM (#486712 - in reply to #463859)

Thank you Dan....
DanSavage
Posted 2014-05-15 1:52 PM (#486718 - in reply to #463859)

You're welcome.
arumako
Posted 2014-05-16 5:32 AM (#486743 - in reply to #463862)

DanSavage - 2013-01-05 3:48 AM

I would like to add that everyone should feel free to add whatever comments/photos to this thread.

This is really interesting stuff... thanks for the in-depth history lesson. I never realized Lyrachord came so late in Ovation lore.

Edited by arumako 2014-05-16 5:34 AM
DanSavage
Posted 2014-05-16 9:36 AM (#486745 - in reply to #463859)

You're welcome. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I've got some really interesting pics coming up.

Keep in mind that the whole 'Lyrachord' moniker is strictly a term Ovation marketing applied to the composite bowl. There were several processes used throughout the years to mold the bowl. Every single one was called 'Lyrachord'.

As can be seen, there's really nothing special about the process or the components.

In the early days, it was off the shelf fiberglass borrowed from Charlie's helicopter business. The first bowls were molded vacuum-bagged over male molds, but that process is very labor-intensive. To save time, they went to female molds, which didn't require as much labor. Finally, they wen to SMC.

SMC is an industrial composite used to mold Corvette bodies and other things. It allowed Ovation to produce bowls more quickly, which reduced the cost of each bowl even more and thus, increased the profit margin through reduced labor cost.

Finally, they went back to hand-laid bowls in female molds, again, but only for Adamas and custom guitars. To get the quality of the 1st gen bowls, they utilized vacuum and a membrane inside and autoclave. This produces bowls with the surface perfection and reduced production costs of SMC, but the thinness and responsiveness of the 1st gen cloth bowls.
sycamore
Posted 2014-05-16 9:47 AM (#486746 - in reply to #463881)

Jonmark Stone - 2013-01-06 5:29 AM

"...Light and thin, I would often ...".

Are you still light and thin??

Interestign topic anyway!
MWoody
Posted 2014-05-16 9:57 AM (#486747 - in reply to #463859)

I love when people take things apart and put them back right in front of you!

Good stuff!
sycamore
Posted 2014-05-16 10:00 AM (#486749 - in reply to #463859)

Also interesting how the patent shown above gives a detailed description of a truss rod. Apparently that was patented in 1923: http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=US&NR=1...
DanSavage
Posted 2014-05-16 11:21 AM (#486753 - in reply to #486747)

MWoody - 2014-05-16 7:57 AM

I love when people take things apart and put them back right in front of you!

Good stuff!

You'll really enjoy the pics I just got.

I'll post them tonight along with a description of what you're seeing.
DanSavage
Posted 2014-05-16 7:46 PM (#486771 - in reply to #486749)

sycamore - 2014-05-16 8:00 AM

Also interesting how the patent shown above gives a detailed description of a truss rod. Apparently that was patented in 1923: http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=US&NR=1...

I could see the document earlier, but I wanted to thank you for posting the link. The curvature of the truss rod almost makes me think that tightening it would cause the neck to bow upward.
DanSavage
Posted 2014-05-16 8:25 PM (#486772 - in reply to #463859)

Here's a couple of pics of the newest generation cloth bowl. This is the same bowl I used to mold the patch on my 1619-4 Repair thread in the BFLG forum.

Here's a couple more pics of the 1st gen cloth bowl.

Here's a pic of the 1st gen bowl inside the newest gen cloth bowl. As you can see, they've gotten larger over time. This is not caused by shrinkage. Usually when epoxy resin shrinks, it just makes the parts thinner, not smaller.

Here's a pic of the 1st gen wooden mold and and a cloth bowl. What you're seeing here is worth noting.

First, the mold is a lot deeper than the bowl. This is because when when vacuum bag molding a part, you have to allow space for the plastic bag to fold over at the base of the mold. This is the same principle used for vacuum molding plastic parts. You need a little bit over overhang which must be trimmed from the final part.

In contrast, a female mold can be made to net depth because the part can be trimmed to the top edge of the mold.

The bowl has had the neck and heel blocks glued into place and the upper part where the kerfing would be glued has been masked, then the whole interior of the bowl has been sprayed black.

The sharp angle of the neck block shows us this is a very early bowl, probably 1965-1966.

In contrast, here is a pic of the two-part mold used to produce the SMC bowls. Welcome to the industrial age!

As I noted above, the SMC bowls used fiberglass prepreg molded over steel molds heated to 300 degrees. Finished parts came out of the mold in minutes, instead of hours.

Speaking of tops, here's some pics of the 1st gen top. These used very simple X-bracing. Note the lack of finger braces and tone bars commonly seen on X-braced guitars.

Here's another 1st gen top. This one is a 3-piece spruce top, circa 1966.

How do we know it's from 1966? Why, because it's been dated!

Although the X braces and popcicle braces have been scalloped, and the center joint reinforced (with birch plywood, no less!) the glue joints between the X braces and the soundhole strips are pretty sloppy.

Also seen is the fiberglass reinforcement strip across the lower bout mentioned in the patent documents above.

Edited by DanSavage 2014-05-16 8:29 PM
jay
Posted 2014-05-16 9:16 PM (#486774 - in reply to #463859)

Dan...just curious...where did you get the tops?
And do we have any idea how many of those wooden molds they used in production in the 60's...and you wonder what happened to all of them...

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)