The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Worn saddles on the Elite

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

dwg preacher
Posted 2013-01-01 11:28 AM (#463711)
Subject: Worn saddles on the Elite

Restrung the Elite this morning, with D'addario EXP16s. The previous owner had extra-lights on it, and I thought 12-53 gauge would probably beef up the sound a little...

What I noticed, after removing the strings is the saddles have grooves worn in them that seem to pull the strings slightly off-straight. I pulled them out of the grooves so they pull straight from bridge to nut, but I was wondering, is this gonna be an issue down the road? Should I be planning to have the saddle replaced sooner than later? Is it something I could consider doing myself? What has been your experience?

Also, thanks to the previous owner, I found the extra shim in the case, so I added it under the saddle, so (and my miserable technique is well documented, heehee) the action is a bit higher and the strings don't slap the upper frets when I'm finger-picking.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2013-01-06 3:59 PM (#463896 - in reply to #463711)
Subject: Re: Worn saddles on the Elite

I have lightly filed the grooves in saddles without any problems, and have filed new notches. The pointy top of the plastic saddle isn't strong enough to resist deformation. Why the strings get off center I don't know but mine have done it too.
MWoody
Posted 2013-01-06 4:20 PM (#463902 - in reply to #463711)

There are some "porcelin" repair products and possibly some ok epoxies if you had to build up a saddle.
Nordicnorm
Posted 2013-01-24 8:52 PM (#464524 - in reply to #463711)

The plastic saddle "insert" is replacable. It is held in place by the silicone in which the pick-ups are imbedded. It is easily removed without damaging anything else.You should be able to get a replacement. I got one from the Canadian arm of the MS, located in Toronto, Ont.
I would try building the top edge up with supr glue, then filing the side that faces the soundhole so you get a clean edge to avoid string buzz or intonation problems.
When you re-string, it is important to check the string spacing/alignment over tha saddle before you tighten the strings down. They will over time create grooves in the saddle, and if the grooves are off-set, it can be a bit of a struggle to set it right.
dwg preacher
Posted 2013-01-25 8:41 AM (#464533 - in reply to #463711)

Thanks, everyone, for the information. I'll be restringing again in a week or so, and I'll take another look at that time. I was looking at them last night, and they look straight; like the strings haven't slipped down into the grooves again yet. Wondering if that's a sign of neglect? Old strings stayed on for years and years? Thanks especially, Norm. I'll plan to look into a new replacement saddle in the future.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)