The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ordering a Custom Adamas - Any advice?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

Matt_B
Posted 2012-12-09 9:46 AM (#462853)
Subject: Ordering a Custom Adamas - Any advice?

I've finally decided to order a custom Adamas and was hoping folks would be willing to share their experiences in doing the same. After researching the process on this forum, I've learned Al P. is the man so I've already contacted him to start the process.

I currently own two Adamas guitars, a W597 and W598, which I love. These are simply the best sounding and best playing acoustic guitars I've ever played. I want one more 6 string just to have a back-up and it has to be an Adamas.

As far as what I'm looking to put together, I just want a W597 with a few changes. I've looked at the 2007 Adamas Custom Shop catalog and Al P. has asked me a few questions to get me going. For what it's worth, I've designed and ordered about a half dozen custom electrics so I'm somewhat familiar with the process of ordering a custom guitar. I'm prepared for the cost (Al P. already gave me a rough idea) and the wait (waited 2 years for a custom Jackson back in the day).

So any advice or experiences to share would be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-12-09 1:51 PM (#462855 - in reply to #462853)
Subject: Re: Ordering a Custom Adamas - Any advice?

Sounds like you are on track already. Al has played, sold, and custom ordered more Adamas guitars than anyone. I mean ANYone on planet earth unless you count the folks at the factory itself I guess... I have the OFC II which is a custom 2080 essentially. Love it.
TAFKAR
Posted 2012-12-09 3:00 PM (#462857 - in reply to #462853)

Hi Matt, I've never done a custom order, but it's on my fantasy list. I had a W597 and upgraded to an 08 Collectors - it was a big (good) difference. If I were you I'd be getting a textured top Adamas (rather than a shiny top like the W597). I'd go hand laid contour bowl (or deep bowl). If you have fat fingers, it's worth getting the 1 3/4" nut (I'm a big fan of those). After that, pick your preamp (Op Pro Studio would probably be the popular choice) and decorate to taste - go crazy!!
stephent28
Posted 2012-12-09 3:38 PM (#462858 - in reply to #462853)

I like what Takfar said so +1
Koenig Kurt
Posted 2012-12-10 4:30 AM (#462875 - in reply to #462853)
Subject: RE: Ordering a Custom Adamas - Any advice?

I would vote for a textured top as well. Looks not as cool, but sounds way better than SMTs or CVTs.

But iIf you're still on the CVT-trip, maybe this is could be some sort of inspiration: Scroll down to the pics with removed epaulettes! 

http://www.ovationtribute.com/Adamas_Models/04-Adamas_Other_Models/Adamas_Music_Meyer_Special_Edition/Adamas_Music_Meyer_Special_Edition.html

In the meantime it's all black, black preamp, black nut and saddle - really cool looking. But soundwise... Well, no textured top.

Best regards,

Kurt

MWoody
Posted 2012-12-10 7:53 AM (#462877 - in reply to #462853)

Hmmm... Equip your Barbarian with a big hammer and your Elf should carry a longbow...

Selecting the Custom features can be difficult. You mentioned that you have played and enjoyed the CVTs but have you played the Textured Tops?

You can refine on what works for you or step outside of the box and diversify.
alpep
Posted 2012-12-10 8:17 AM (#462879 - in reply to #462853)

every time I try to use another acoustic to play out i go back to my adamas
Matt_B
Posted 2012-12-10 9:04 AM (#462885 - in reply to #462853)

Thanks for the replies.

As I stated in my first post, I love my woven tops so I just want a back-up that sounds the same and plays the same.

I've got a good handle on what I want for specifics so far. I just need to nail down the specific color I want because that will drive some of the other decisions (nut color, saddle color, tuner color, etc.). I want some shade of transparent orange with a warm but not too dark feel to it. I'm originally from New Hampshire so I'm going with a autumnal vibe which will tie in nicely with multi-colored wood epaulets. I need to make a visit to the paint section of a few DIY stores to get some samples.

So far I know I want:
- Mid depth bowl with cutaway.
- CVT woven top.
- Transparent orange finish. I want to see the weave through the finish. I like that.
- Multi-colored wood epaulets (like the W597).
- Cream body binding.
- Ebony fingerboard with no inlays.
- Pinless Ebony bridge.
- Black tuners.

Things I'm not sure about:
- Cream binding on the neck. I like how it looks but it makes refretting a bit more labor intensive (expensive). Then again, stainless steel frets last a long time.
- For a preamp, I'm going between the OP-50, the OP-Pro, and the OP-Pro studio.
- I'm pretty sure it's offered but I need to check about getting the headstock painted the same color as the body.
- Logo color is dependent on the color of the headstock. If the headstock is painted to match the body, I'd like the logo in black if possible, for good contrast.

Except for the preamp, the only things I'm undecided about are purely cosmetic and interdependent to some degree.
MWoody
Posted 2012-12-10 12:43 PM (#462903 - in reply to #462853)

I like the OP50 Preamp - less technical than the OP Pros and provides a solid sound! Plus you can change over to any later OP preamp if you need to.

Ask for a Wood binding or Tortiouse (SP, Celluloid Turtle) and add some Abalone.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2012-12-10 2:43 PM (#462910 - in reply to #462853)

When I ordered my custom Adamas, I only had two things in mind . . . the original slothead design and everyday playability. So, I started with an 1187 model based on the reverse red burst Adamas No. 47 slothead anniversary model, made it an SSB cutaway, went to a single epaulet but still with the 13 piece detail as in the original slotheads, added an Op-Pro Studio can with XLR out and the DiMeola boost button, added extra multi-colored sparkle on the hand-laid glass bowl, and I think that was it. Was I ever satisfied. Well over a thousand hours on it by now, still looks new but feels like an old friend, and the sound!
FlySig
Posted 2012-12-10 3:38 PM (#462915 - in reply to #462853)

Go with the creme neck binding and stainless steel frets. You'll never have to refret it, and if for some odd reason you do it is just a bit more work to deal with the binding. This is your dream guitar, so get what you want to hold in your hand and look at everyday!

I love tortoise binding on the right guitar. Abalone would be great on a white guitar. The Hamer orange sparkle is a really nice luscious finish. IDK if it would be too thick to put the clear coat on an acoustic the way they do on the electrics, but I can vouch for the incredible finish on my Hamer. It is like liquid glass was poured over the guitar.

The New England burst and the tobacco burst are both in the right palette for your part of the country.

As for preamp, I would go for the VIP. I had and loved the Studio in my wood topped Ovations but it just didn't do much for the Adamas. I think the Adamas already has a lot of richness and overtones, so the Studio is kind of unnecessary. The VIP just sounds amazing in my Adamas 2080. So I would go with the VIP myself.
Matt_B
Posted 2012-12-10 4:42 PM (#462920 - in reply to #462915)

The Adamii are the only guitars I have with stainless steel frets so I have no experience with their longevity. Considering how quickly I wear out strings only regular frets, I know which one of the two (strings vs. frets) takes more of a beating.

For the finish, I'm still leaning towards some kind of transparent orange but it's nothing that Ovation has ever offered so it will be a custom color. The only stock finish that I really like for this guitar would be Red Teardrop (not Red Teardrop Burst which is different), like they used on the 2078LX. That finish though can be a little tricky with multi-colored wood epaulets thought. The red leaves can blend into the red edge the burst and get lost. I might look into different epaulet colors though.

Based upon the theme I'm going for (New England in Autumn), you would think I would like New England Burst but I don't like the dark/black edges and tobacco burst is just a finished that never grabbed me.

The VIP Preamp came from the factory in my W598 and the fact that I couldn't use the tuner without a dummy plug totally turned me off to it, especially on a 12 string. I just can't deal with that.

I'm getting closer though, thanks to everyone's suggestions. I know I can get the headstock painted to match the body and the cream binding (on the neck) and go with that. I just need to find out about the logo color and I may get a 12th fret inlay with my son's birth date. We'll see.
TAFKAR
Posted 2012-12-10 5:25 PM (#462926 - in reply to #462853)

On Al's website (lostartvintage.com) under second hand guitars you'll see what a burst looks like over an unpainted woven top - Can't say I'm a real fan of how that turned out. If you search through the archives here you'll find a custom Adamas in bright orange (which sounds awful, but turned out absolutely stunning).
Matt_B
Posted 2012-12-11 5:39 AM (#462950 - in reply to #462926)

Holy cow, I do not like that burst. Thanks for pointing me to it. Yeah, I'm going for single transparent color. I saw that bright orange Adamas with the black epaulets. Very cool.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)