The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1778T Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

Kansas Boy
Posted 2012-11-19 12:15 PM (#462059)
Subject: 1778T Question

I recently ran across a NOS 1778T black beauty that I had to have. I purchased the guitar from a store in another state and the guitar arrived at my door Saturday before last. I really like the guitar and it plays well and the action is good, mostly... When playing, it is VERY easy for the high e string to 'slip off' the end of the fret. The problem seems most evident below the 5th fret. I've played guitar since 1984 so I don't believe it is my technique causing the problem. I have not experienced the problem on my 2778LX that I got from the same store last year or any other guitar for that matter.

Nothing at the nut or saddle looks glaringly wrong to me and string spacing appears even between strings and across the fretboard. I'm at a loss why it is so easy for the high e string to fall off the end of the fret. Pull offs from 3 2 to open on the high e are really touchy on this 1778T. I can do them cleanly but I have to use extreme pressure on my fingers to keep the string in place while executing the pull offs. Sometimes while chording I can feel the string wanting to eek off the edge of the fretboard. The current set up makes that high e way too touchy for my liking.

Any one have any ideas? I want to get back to loving my new Ovation!!

Thanks,

Kansas Boy

Edited by Kansas Boy 2012-11-19 12:18 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2012-11-19 12:34 PM (#462061 - in reply to #462059)
Subject: Re: 1778T Question

Do you know what guage strings are on it? Maybe someone put on a really skinny one. I would think the fretboard radius would be the same as the 2778 and assume you compared the high e string location on both guitars to see if it's closer to the edge on the 1778.
BTW, as a KSU alumn, I should have welcomed you before the Wildcats self destructed.
Kansas Boy
Posted 2012-11-19 12:48 PM (#462062 - in reply to #462061)

Mark in Boise - 2012-11-19 12:34 PM

Do you know what guage strings are on it? Maybe someone put on a really skinny one. I would think the fretboard radius would be the same as the 2778 and assume you compared the high e string location on both guitars to see if it's closer to the edge on the 1778.
BTW, as a KSU alumn, I should have welcomed you before the Wildcats self destructed.

Thanks for the reply Mark! I will soon know the string gauge as I will be changing them the first chance I get. I've been talking with the store and I didn't want to change their 'original set up' while they were still trouble shooting. I haven't had the time to go at this problem full bore as work has been taking up a lot of time since the guitar arrived.

I did do a side by side comparison of the 1778T and the 2778LX. By 'eyeballing' the fretboards and string positions of the two they look fairly similar. The angle on the end of the frets is a bit different with steeper and shorter ends on the 2778 and a longer more gradual taper on the end of the frets of the 1778T.

I'm hoping the solution is as simple as a string change...I'll get them changed out this evening.

Yeah, I heard about K-State...it was hard NOT to hear about K-State around here! A lot of my buddies went to K-State (I didn't!) and they bleed purple but I don't follow the Wildcats very closely. Thanks for the welcome and thanks again for the reply.

Kansas Boy
FlySig
Posted 2012-11-19 4:30 PM (#462071 - in reply to #462059)

It sounds from your description that the position of the 1st string slot on the nut is normal, not too close to the edge of the fretboard.

Other than string gauge I can't think of anything other than the shape of the end of the frets.
Geostorm98
Posted 2012-11-20 5:21 AM (#462105 - in reply to #462059)
Subject: RE: 1778T Question

Just for the heck of it try measuring the neck width using a caliper at the points where you're slipping off; compare with your other guitars. Also measure from high e to the neck's edge and compare again.
MWoody
Posted 2012-11-20 8:20 AM (#462113 - in reply to #462059)

Aw heck, just take pictures!
Welcome!
Kansas Boy
Posted 2012-11-20 1:44 PM (#462133 - in reply to #462059)
Subject: RE: 1778T Question

Well, put new strings on last night and still have the issue.

Thank you for the input FlySig.

Geostorm98, I will do as you mentioned and see what I come up with.

Thanks MWoody. I do have a ton of pics that I took at the request of the store to assist with their troubleshooting efforts.

I did hear back from the store yesterday and their recommendation was to have another groove cut in the nut inside of the old one. Not sure I really like this response to the problem. Sure it would move the string further on to the fretboard but I would think string spacing between e and b would be compromised, wouldn't it?

Thanks for all the input! I'm anxious to get my new 1778T up and playing!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)