The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Refretting

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

caferacer
Posted 2012-11-02 6:09 AM (#461453)
Subject: Refretting

Ive a 20 year old 1768 with substantial fretwear on the first 5 frets,Ive heard numerous prices-some steep,advice anyone?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ksdaddy
Posted 2012-11-02 7:06 AM (#461454 - in reply to #461453)
Subject: Re: Refretting

More often than not a partial refet can be done. It's mainly a matter of matching the existing fretwire. There are other circumstances which might keep you from getting that done, i.e. gouges in the board itself, other issues with the board (lumps, bumps). My rule is to take the least intrusive method even if there are some concessions. A good repair person will offer a partial refret as a possible fix, subject to first hand inspection of course.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2012-11-02 9:21 AM (#461457 - in reply to #461453)

Sometimes no new frets are necessary. I had one redone a few years ago and the luthier leveled the fretboard up at the first 4 frets or so and then crowned the frets. It looked and played like new for around $80.
jay
Posted 2012-11-02 10:11 AM (#461458 - in reply to #461453)

Cafe, Mark is right...I thought the 67 that gets played every day needed a re-fret and took it to a luthier and he actually changed out the saddle, leveled and crowned the frets, and it plays great. Right at 100 bucks.

I do not remember what he quoted for a fret job, but it was quite a bit more and unnecessary.
caferacer
Posted 2012-11-03 4:55 PM (#461511 - in reply to #461453)

Thanks to your advice a local tech is changing the saddle and levelling and crowning the frets,no more buzzing from my much cherished old Elite!Incidentally the previous owner fitted Sperzel lockable tuners,they work really well,it seems the guitar remains in tune indefinitely,the only time I retune is replacing a string!Is this a common Ovation upgrade?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)