The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
C778LX Custom Elite with XLR - Phantom Power Dilemma

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

ddpruett
Posted 2012-10-15 6:32 PM (#460446)
Subject: C778LX Custom Elite with XLR - Phantom Power Dilemma

Hi,

I’ve fired off the following question to: Ovation customer service at – askus@ovationguitars.com While waiting for a response, I thought I'd post same here.
I am in possession of a C778LX Custom Elite; Op-Pro Studio with XLR output; Serial Number: 592576 (Year of Manufacture: 2004), which I obtained from EBay, March of 2012.

Recently I’ve been interested in utilizing the XLR connection while having the Ovation preamp fired up by Phantom Power, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why I’m not getting Phantom Power to the guitar. I have the correct XLR cable – Pin-1 ground to shell, check continuity with ohm meter; I have Phantom Power turned on at my audio interface – 48 volts from a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 audio interface, the 48 volts shouldn’t matter because the Ovation preamp only takes what it needs. The XLR cable works fine while battery is good, but as soon as I pull the battery to check for Phantom Power, there is nothing; indicating that Phantom Power is not getting to the Ovation preamp.

My C778LX has the PCB including the appropriate XLR connection with XLR ribbon-cable running to the back of the preamp canister housing. There is another connector that runs from the pickup assembly which plugs into another jack - marked input - on the back of the canister housing. Then, on the back of the canister housing also, there is another jack – marked output – that has nothing plugged into it. Can anyone tell me what that might be for? Is there something missing here?

After several readings of the Ovation’s description referencing the: Op-Pro Studio with XLR Preamp, the definition seems to be somewhat ambiguous:

…The XLR jack provides a balanced line connection to mixers, recording consoles, and high-end acoustic amps. It also provides phantom power to the “OP-Pro”—an essential feature for touring professionals…

Is the reference here to the “Op-Pro”, meant to be excluding the "Op-Pro Studio" as being Phantom Power capable, even though my Op-Pro Studio includes the XLR connection?

Does this then mean that in order to obtain a Phantom Powered preamp, I must retrofit my C778LX with the older “Op-Pro”? If so, what hardware must I obtain to achieve this and is it available?

Or what do I need to get Phantom Power working on the C778LX with existing hardware?

Any assistance in solving this conundrum will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks…a very frustrated

I very much love this guitar and would like to get the Phantom Power working on it. When I received it from the Ebay seller, a few spots on a couple of the frets, above the 12th fret, were a little high. Because of this, I was unable to lower the action where I wanted it, so I ordered some fret dressing tools from Stewart-MacDonald and trued those up myself, now this issue with the Phantom Power.

There are two version of the Op-Pro Studio, one with XLR, as mine, and one without. I was under the impression that the Op-Pro Studio with XLR, was also Phantom Power capable, but I beginning to believe that may not be the case and that it only means an XLR fitting has been added that in NOT Phantom Power capable. This is a real nuisance, meaning that if you leave the XLR cable plugged in while taking a break, the preamp will eat 9 volt batteries like crazy.

I can’t find a Op-Pro module:
http://www.ovationguitars.com/electronics/product/op_pro
the one that actually says: Phantom Power, on it for sale anywhere. Then I’m also guessing that I might need a complete assembly swap, including pickup. Not sure.

Thanks for whatever help you might be able to lend.

David
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TAFKAR
Posted 2012-10-15 7:47 PM (#460450 - in reply to #460446)
Subject: Re: C778LX Custom Elite with XLR - Phantom Power Dilemma

Phantom power will send a signal which will turn the Op-Pro on (so you don't need a dummy plug), but doesn't carry enough oomph to drive the preamp. You cannot use it without the 9v battery because the Op-Pro (& VIP) preamps need more power than is sent down the XLR line.
ddpruett
Posted 2012-10-15 8:19 PM (#460451 - in reply to #460450)

From an engineering point of view, this then sounds like Phantom Power is a pretty empty-headed feature.

I was under the assumption that Phantom Power via the XLR pipe was intended to prevent any drain upon the battery.

Thanks kindly for your input!
TAFKAR
Posted 2012-10-15 9:18 PM (#460453 - in reply to #460446)

Phantom power saves you having to insert a dummy plug into the 1/4" socket in addition to the XLR. Phantom power will drive most microphones, but there's too much power-munching stuff in the Ovation preamps.
ddpruett
Posted 2012-10-15 11:27 PM (#460468 - in reply to #460453)

Actually, the ‘dummy plug’ is only a requirement if you have an improperly wired XLR cable, where Pin 1 is not grounded to the shell of the connector, in which case the ¼ inch ‘dummy plug’ is utilized to complete the grounding circuit, providing a path for Phantom Power.
ddpruett
Posted 2012-10-22 2:59 PM (#460879 - in reply to #460446)

Well, I see only one responder to my query. Thank you for that TAFKAR, and I’ve had several PM’s from DVD, who said he was unable to respond to me in the ‘Welcome Area’. I’m wondering is everyone else unable to respond as long as my status is: Access Pending, located in the Welcome section?

Still awaiting reply from Ovation, even though now, I think I know what the answer will be, as per post elsewhere on this forum: http://ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=31005&... …thank you for that DVD.

Therefore, I’m keeping my eye out on eBay and hope that maybe here also, someone might have an Op-Pro with XLR with proper working Phantom Power, module that I can drop in, that they would be willing to part with: http://www.ovationguitars.com/electronics/product/op_pro preferably one that came from and USA made model Ovation.

Thanks everyone for stopping by view my post. If you wish to respond, but can’t because of my pending status, please drop me a PM.
Thanks again.
Damon67
Posted 2012-10-22 3:05 PM (#460881 - in reply to #460446)

Sorry David. I saw all the responses and assumed your access was already granted.

Try asking the question again in the main "General" section. I do know that it requires a special XLR cable to utilize phantom power, but beyond that I'm clueless.

You're free to post elsewhere. Welcome.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)