The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
introduction

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

svt4cobra6
Posted 2012-09-30 6:14 PM (#459799)
Subject: introduction

Picked up a new overseas made mid bowl ovation and after removing the shims and changing the strings was surprised how easy it is to play, almost like an electric with low action. The sound amplified is also nice through a good PA. A few days ago a friend gave me a 12 string 1655 Balladeer from around 1983-84 I think. Figured out how to change the battery and the pre-amp still works, also removed a few of the shims but took awhile to lift the bridge out (probably first time it was removed in 28 years!). Just had a few questions on how to take care of the guitar as well as what guage strings to use? I am thinking of using a light gauge string. Also no cracks in the guitar and appears to be structurally sound.
Thanks Paul.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2012-09-30 6:36 PM (#459800 - in reply to #459799)
Subject: RE: introduction

The 1655 is an excellent 12'er. Light strings are fine and you do NOT have to tune it down a step. Set it at standard and don't worry about it. Otherwise, the standard guitar care rules apply: Don't let it get too hot, cold, dry, etc. Don't leave it in the trunk of your car overnight. And resist the temptation to beat the correct tempo back into your drummer with it.

Welcome to the board. A mod should be along shortly to give you full access.
Damon67
Posted 2012-09-30 8:05 PM (#459805 - in reply to #459800)
Subject: RE: introduction

patchmcg - 2012-09-30 4:36 PM Welcome to the board. A mod should be along shortly to give you full access.

Already done... Welcome!

svt4cobra6
Posted 2012-09-30 10:05 PM (#459809 - in reply to #459799)
Subject: Re: introduction

thanks for the responses, not sure if the new celebrity series are very popular but surprising how well the one I recenty picked up at the guitar center plays compared to the Ibanez and other acoustics in the same price range. Seems like there are not a lot of the older made in USA ovations around here but thinking they probably sold a lot of them.
TAFKAR
Posted 2012-10-01 8:23 PM (#459881 - in reply to #459799)

Much as myself and a lot of other members here are USA-made snobs (it is a fan club afterall) it's good to remember that the lower-priced models still offer the Ovation trademark value for money. For what you pay, they are stonking guitars.
svt4cobra6
Posted 2012-10-01 10:26 PM (#459887 - in reply to #459799)

yep thinking with the lower priced guitars part of it might be hit or miss with what you end up but impressed with the playability of this one. Wondering if the overseas ovations are made in the same factory as the overseas Ibanez's and other brands?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)