The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
XLR - Balanced v Unbalanced

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

TAFKAR
Posted 2012-09-20 7:09 PM (#459367)
Subject: XLR - Balanced v Unbalanced

I know that the XLR output from my VIP preamp is "balanced" and that the 1/4" output is "unbalanced", but what does this actually mean (apart from "different")? Can anyone explain the physics of this to me in terms I can understand?

I get that I can plug from the XLR directly into the microphone inputs of a PA (which is handy when they are only set up for mikes and don't have 1/4" unbalanced inputs), but what is the actual difference in the signals?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
muzza
Posted 2012-09-20 7:38 PM (#459369 - in reply to #459367)
Subject: RE: XLR - Balanced v Unbalanced

Not my words, but a google search found the following, which seems like a believable explanation;

"What's the difference between balanced and unbalanced connections?"

An unbalanced connection is what you have in normal consumer audio line-level connections. For any given signal, such as your left channel feed, you have a "hot" and a "ground" connection. The ground is normally in the form of a shield braid or foil wrapped around the "hot" connection. The ground connection remains at zero volts with respect to, well, ground - its level is the reference level for everything else. The "hot" wire is driven with an AC signal and at different times goes both positive and negative with respect to the ground wire.

Now the problem with unbalanced connections is that they're very subject to noise pickup, esp. in high-gain circuits like mic feeds. The "hot" wire acts as an antenna and picks up stray RF; it's also subject to both capacitive and inductive coupling to other nearby circuits. The inductive coupling can work over distances of several meters if there are heavy AC currents being used nearby (like the lighting in a TV studio). The shielding incidentally helps against capacitive and RF pickup but doesn't do a thing against inductive pickup.

In a balanced connection there are two signal lines and a ground shield. The two signal lines are designated + and -, or "hot" and "return", or "live" and "return", or some such terms. The desired signal is sent down both wires, but at opposite polarities. The + lead is the same signal as what would be on the "hot" lead in an unbalanced connection. The - lead carries the same signal, but at opposite polarity to the + signal. The ground shield may not even be connected at both ends of the cable - in fact it is often left unconnected at the receiving end.

Now here is the trick: the receiver for a balanced connection pays attention only to the DIFFERENCE between the two signal wires. This is called a "differential receiver" and for this reason you usually hear the terms "balanced" and "differential" used in close proximity. Well, noise picked up by the cable will tend to be picked up equally by the two signal wires. Since the receiver pays attention only to the difference, the noise is rejected. This is called "common mode noise rejection" because it is the rejection of noise that is common between the + and - signals.

If that seems impossible, consider a numeric example: Suppose the waveform at the moment is at +.5 volts in the positive wire and -.5 volts in the negative. The receiver does the "differencing" and emits 1.0 volts.

Now add 0.5 volts of noise to each wire, so the signal levels are 1.0 volts and 0 volts. The difference is still one volt!

There's more, but by the time I'd read the above, I understood.

Good question, glad you asked it. Now I know too.

TAFKAR
Posted 2012-09-20 10:25 PM (#459386 - in reply to #459367)
Subject: Re: XLR - Balanced v Unbalanced

Thanks Muzz. Almost leads to the question why we use unbalanced signals at all if the balanced is so superior.
JohnW63
Posted 2012-09-20 11:14 PM (#459388 - in reply to #459367)

On short runs the need for balanced is not very high and the cost of the ends and cable is less. Also, not everything HAS an xlr connection to use.
noah
Posted 2012-09-20 11:37 PM (#459389 - in reply to #459367)

It is not as much the cost of the interconnecting cable, as it is the additional cost of the balanced output and input circuitry.
muzza
Posted 2012-09-21 1:55 AM (#459393 - in reply to #459367)

Horses for courses.
FlySig
Posted 2012-09-21 4:13 PM (#459421 - in reply to #459367)

I believe that the balanced cable has much lower capacitance, which means the balanced cable does not degrade the high frequencies. On short runs it isn't a big deal, but if you are running long distances it can really add up to a deader sound with the old fashioned guitar cord. Not grounding the braided cable can prevent ground loops. Ground loops can induce 60hz hum from the mains power.
kitmann
Posted 2012-09-21 5:56 PM (#459429 - in reply to #459367)

Thanks Muzza, I was wondering that myself, but was scared to ask. All I knew was that I could use a splitter and run two amps didn't know the physics of it. Now things I did in the studio the engineer wanted me to do makes sense now.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-09-22 12:26 PM (#459455 - in reply to #459367)

Just a note... when buying balanced cables, this line above that is sort of glossed over becomes important depending on the use.. "The ground shield may not even be connected at both ends of the cable - in fact it is often left unconnected at the receiving end." If you are using Phantom power on the line, not having the ground lead will be an issue, as it won't work. Phantom power usually needs that ground wire.
kitmann
Posted 2012-09-24 7:32 PM (#459517 - in reply to #459367)

Mr. Ovation when buying balanced cables how do we check them to make sure the ground shield is working or does it depend on the PA system or equipment your plugging into that makes the difference?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-09-25 6:47 PM (#459556 - in reply to #459517)

kitmann - 2012-09-24 5:32 PM

Mr. Ovation when buying balanced cables how do we check them to make sure the ground shield is working or does it depend on the PA system or equipment your plugging into that makes the difference?

I never leave home without my http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CT100.aspx  

Note the led matrix that shows exactly how the cable is wired and if any wires are reversed.  It can also sense phantom power and send a test tone.  For under $30.00 bucks it's a handy investment that you'll wonder how you lived without.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)