The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
newbie question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

weldon H
Posted 2012-09-06 7:51 PM (#458805)
Subject: newbie question

New to the forum but have had two different Ovations since 1974. I have what is probably the most asked newbie question. How do I find out what year my guitar was made. It is a model 1121 and the serial number is E 071. I bought it used in 1976 and played it hard for many years. Sounds great and has a great neck but needs to have the neck adjusted as the action isn't great. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great day. Weldon
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2012-09-06 8:31 PM (#458808 - in reply to #458805)
Subject: RE: newbie question

Welcome Weldon!

Check here to see if you can figure the age out. (Choose the 3-digit series in the drop down menu.)

Ovation's Crack the Code

As far as the neck goes, pictures would help. But if it needs a reset, the factory in New Hartford is the best place for that.

weldon H
Posted 2012-09-06 9:58 PM (#458809 - in reply to #458805)
Subject: Re: newbie question

Patch, Thanks for the info. I don't think the neck needs reset just adjusted a little for a little easier action. It went back to the factory in 1980 for some work after it was dropped and the bowl was seperating from the front. I would like to send it back some day to get it back to original as it has had a peg drilled into the base of the neck for a strap, although I love the fact that I can use a strap like that. According to the Crack the Code link it looks to be a 1966 although it does have a prefix E, so am not sure what is going on there. Thanks again and I hope your Steelers have a good year.
Damon67
Posted 2012-09-07 2:51 PM (#458822 - in reply to #458805)

Weldon, I think it's more 68-70 time frame.

you'll only want to adjust your neck for relief purposes, not for adjustment of action. Action needs to be adjusted at the saddles. If there are shims underneath, try removing them. If there are no shims yet you still have plenty of a break angle left, then shaving the saddle down some is the other option.

Leave your neck alone... unless it's warped or bowed. If it can't happen at the nut, then a neck reset is in order.
Damon67
Posted 2012-09-07 2:51 PM (#458823 - in reply to #458805)

oh, and welcome. I've made it to where you can post everywhere now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)