The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Is my guitar an Ultra GP?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Jim W
Posted 2012-08-14 4:12 PM (#457761)
Subject: Is my guitar an Ultra GP?

I've got an Ovation solid body with a model number 1431-E. It looks like the ones in image libraries labeled as Ultra GP. I bought it in '85 and really its just set in the case. Neck is straight and not at all bowed. A friend of my son's loves guitars and I'm trying to find a fair price to have in mind when it to him. I've seen $300 to $3000 in web searches, so with a range that wide and not even knowing what I have I'm asking for advice if any one would be kind enough to help me out. I'm going to try to attach a picture.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jim W
Posted 2012-08-14 4:33 PM (#457763 - in reply to #457761)
Subject: Re: Is my guitar an Ultra GP?

I mis-read the FAQ info and can't attach a pic, but I found an image on the site:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/174258-deacon-bread...

Go about 2/3 of the way down. That is just like mine except mine has no scratches.

Again, any help in setting a fair value would be greatly appreciated.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-08-14 4:54 PM (#457764 - in reply to #457761)

Yes, that is an Ultra GP. And yes the price is between $300 and $3000 depending on how much the buyer wants it. I know this is of NO help to you. I would use my formula of Ovations somewhat holding their value and the guitar was $600 when new. I have both bought and sold these in the range of $600 to $2600 so again... I know that's not much help.

They are good guitars. A bit heavy, nice design and look. the Ovation headstock seems to just fit. The pickups are still sought after DiMarzio's (Super II's I think). The hardware is Schaller. All good stuff. The body and neck were made in Korea and then the whole thing assembled in Connecticut. Joshe Homme pumped some life back into them about 10 years ago and he even made the front cover of Guitar magazine with one. As Bill Kaman stated at the time... "an Ovation solid body finally makes the front cover and it's one they haven't built in 20 years." or something to that affect.

Personally I love this guitar. While on the surface it's nothing really all the special, the some of the parts make it special. The body is likely a plywood of sorts with a nice top and back. It's heavy, but that we assume helps it sustain for days. The profile is just right and the build quality is good.

I hope this helps a little. You are also upgraded to post in the General forums as well now.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-08-14 4:59 PM (#457765 - in reply to #457761)

FWIW... Eastwood makes a "tribute" to this and other guitars that consistently sell in the $400-$600 range on eBay. I would say an original in good condition is worth a bit more. You'll have to decide how much more.
Damon67
Posted 2012-08-14 10:48 PM (#457778 - in reply to #457761)

nice score.... I had one of those once...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)