The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
new strings

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

ZZenman
Posted 2012-08-13 8:15 PM (#457723)
Subject: new strings

Hi again all ---- I saw a post by Old Man Arthur about the strings on/for sale at Best Buy, for the EXP11s. I have a Balladeer and an (incoming) 1868T Elite that will need new strings, according to the seller. Can I use these strings on both the guitars? Is one style or thickness recommended for one or another?

Thanks.

(Also, would love to get access to other areas for posting. I find I look at this site several times a day.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2012-08-13 9:08 PM (#457727 - in reply to #457723)
Subject: Re: new strings

EXP11's are .012 -.053's... just like EXP16's or EJ16's.
Therefore they are just fine.

EXP11's are 80/20 Bronze as opposed to Phosphor-Bronze on other strings.
Same gauge, different sound, maybe a little "Brighter"... just different, Y'know?
ZZenman
Posted 2012-08-14 4:02 PM (#457760 - in reply to #457723)

Sounds good to me (so to speak). I put in my order, and four sets of strings are on their way to my local Best Buy. I have a feeling that they will be here waiting for my guitar to arrive. Thanks for the tip on these!

Patch
Posted 2012-08-14 4:30 PM (#457762 - in reply to #457723)
Subject: RE: new strings

Both guitars are fine with those strings. As OMA hinted, different materials in various strings can alter the sound of any guitar. Once you start paying too much attention, you start to form preferences regarding which guitar sounds better with which string. The key term is "preference", if it sounds good to you, who's to say otherwise.

I use several different types based upon WAY too much trial and error. Depending on the instrument, I may use PB's, 80/20's, bronze-wound, silk-n-steels, or Elixirs. It sounds almost maniacal doesn't it? That's why I blame GAS; it's slowly becoming my catch-all generalization.

Welcome to the forum!
ZZenman
Posted 2012-08-14 10:01 PM (#457776 - in reply to #457723)

Thanks ---- I have apparently had just enough of the Ovation kool-aid to always be on the lookout for more related stuff. Just looked at some cool straps, and amps, and am getting way all over ahead of myself. Got to just play for awhile. Still, I very much appreciate the collective wisdom here, and yours in particular, and am at least starting to feel much better informed about all the necessary accoutrements of the Ovation world (in which I have emphatically stepped). Still, hard not to feel GAS pains every time I visit here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)