The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
top brace hitting the preamp box

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

ericthelion
Posted 2012-08-01 3:55 AM (#457240)
Subject: top brace hitting the preamp box

Hi guys! Newbie here at the club but been playing guitar for more than a couple of decades. Ovation user (and fan) for 3+ years now with my Celebrity CC024. Recently acquired an Adamas 1881 from a friend which nearly bankrupted me but I just love its sound so much that it was worth it! My playing style involves tapping the top and body for percussive effects which the carbon fiber Adamas top is well suited for, but I noticed a different sound when I tap on the bass bout. Opened the back cover to see what was going on and found out that the inside brace was hitting the side of the preamp box everytime I would tap on that area. Now I don't really hit that hard but I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a fix? Do I operate and try to tilt the preamp box out of the way? Or (shudder) shave the brace where it hits to avoid impact? Or perhaps I should just use a thin piece of foam or rubber to cushion the area? Hope anyone can help me out. Cheers!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-08-01 7:51 AM (#457247 - in reply to #457240)
Subject: Re: top brace hitting the preamp box

I would get on the Ovation website and contact customer support. I've never seen anyone mention this.
Nick B.
Posted 2012-08-01 7:55 AM (#457248 - in reply to #457240)

Hi Eric. Without seeing what's going on, my first thought would be not to put anything in there to cushion it because that would also restrict movement of the top. I don't know if you can tilt the preamp and still have it flush on the outside, but I suspect you can't. Sounds like shaving the brace may be the better option if you can do so without sacrificing the integrity of the brace. A call to Ovation Support may also be in order. Otherwise, maybe some other, wiser, folks will chime in with their suggestions. Welcome to the group.
ericthelion
Posted 2012-08-01 9:38 PM (#457288 - in reply to #457247)

Thanks Mr. Ovation Will inevitably do that for more info. Just wanted to consult with you guys first as fellow fans and players of these marvelous instruments! Part of the "problem" is that the body depth of my Adamas is a bit more shallow compared to the mid-depth bowl of my Celebrity. The usual picking and strumming techniques will not bring this "issue" out. Which is probably why I would be the first to have mentioned it. Perhaps other Adamas owners with "shallower than medium" bowls and Optima preamp boxes can check theirs as well and chime in?
ericthelion
Posted 2012-08-01 9:56 PM (#457289 - in reply to #457248)

Thanks for the welcome and insight Nick B. I agree that a cushion would restrict the top movement and impede the instrument's range somewhat. Thinking of investing in a Dremel tool (shiver). Just a few miilimeters, enough to avoid the preamp box....I wonder if Preston Reed ever experienced the same issue and how he addressed it?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-08-01 10:19 PM (#457290 - in reply to #457240)

If you are going to shave a little off I would not use a dremel. I would use a light sandpaper wrapped around a dowel and do it by hand taking off as little as possible.
ericthelion
Posted 2012-08-01 10:42 PM (#457292 - in reply to #457290)

mileskb - 2012-08-01 10:19 PM

If you are going to shave a little off I would not use a dremel. I would use a light sandpaper wrapped around a dowel and do it by hand taking off as little as possible.

Bam! I'm glad I joined this group already! Excellent advice Mr. Ovation! Money saved. Will definitely consider this. Also thinking of fabricating a flange that can tilt the preamp box out of the way. Along with some longer screws, it might just work as well. Thanks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)