The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hello All, New Here...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

iowacarver
Posted 2012-07-28 11:07 PM (#457081)
Subject: Hello All, New Here...

Hi all new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I am considering purchasing the following Ovation:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ovation-celebrity-gc057m-mid...

I have pretty much been a Telecaster player up until now but wanted to add an acoustic to the line and since they say these have necks like an electric.

I know it's on the lower end of the Ovation spectrum but just trying to figure out if it is worth the $199. I have seen a couple vids on YouTube and seemed to sound decent. Just wondering if the set up is ok and if it has the aluminum fretboard like the old Applause I had. I learned how to play on that Applause but wore out the frets on that fret board. I couldn't find anything that tells what the neck and fretboard are made of on the Celebrity GC057.

Thanks all for your help.

Corey
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2012-07-29 12:29 AM (#457083 - in reply to #457081)
Subject: Re: Hello All, New Here...

Hi Corey... I actually owned an older GC057. But mine was the Super-Shallow model.

Yes, it is a lower-end model. But it is $200 New with free shipping and a Warranty.
That is cheaper than Guitar Center.

The original one that was contracted for Guitar Center (hence the GC designation) was basically a CC057 with a different preamp and rosette.
Then (I guess) they came out with the GC057M model for people who wanted a deeper bowl.

The nearest thing on the Ovation site to what you ordered is the CC24.
The photo on your listing looks to be older since it still has the older Ovation logo...
But it might just be an older photo.

The fingerboard should be Rosewood and the neck should be Maple. (I'm guessing)
The top should be laminate and the bowl is some kinda plastic.
I cannot speculate on the set-up... You get what you get.
But I liked mine way-back-when.
iowacarver
Posted 2012-07-29 9:47 AM (#457091 - in reply to #457081)

Hey thanks for the response I appreciate it. I think I will give it a shot. One other questions, right now I only have a Fender Blues Junior amp. I know that it won't sound it's best with a tube amp and will save for a true acoustic amp but 1) can I get buy for a little while and will it hurt either guitar or amp to play through a tube amp? This particular tube amp is pretty much a clean sound and I never play distorted. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Corey
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-07-29 12:31 PM (#457099 - in reply to #457081)

Welcome Iowacarver. Good luck with the guitar. A lot of bang for buck for $200. As OMA eluded to, it might need to be set up, but really what guitar doesn't. You can also now post elsewhere on the site.
iowacarver
Posted 2012-07-29 1:21 PM (#457102 - in reply to #457081)

Thanks Mr. O, I appreciate it. I agree on set up. Just got a new Tele back from being set up. I may try to do the Celebrity myself though.

thanks again,
Corey
iowacarver
Posted 2012-07-30 6:52 PM (#457161 - in reply to #457081)

Well I pulled the trigger today on the Ruby Red GC 057M... can't wait to get it and try it out. Still thinking on what amp to get.

Corey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)