The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New strings on my Adamas W597.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

AdamasW597
Posted 2012-04-06 11:24 PM (#452905)
Subject: New strings on my Adamas W597.

I put a set of Ernie Ball Earthwood lights on my Adamas tonight. I haven't had a set of strings other than Elixir's on it in a long time. The cool part is, I don't care what strings you put on a W597, they sing. Mine made me an Ovation fan 6 years ago. I had a guy tell me they were cheap junk today. I felt sorry for him. He's a guitar bigot. Lot's of them out there. I've played music 44 years and I've played every kind of guitar there is. I love my O's and my Adamas. The reason I posted is I just couldn't believe how great Adamas' sound. No matter what strings. I'm not bragging, but I can play just about any song I want, and these guitars have a million tunes in them. I've literally worn out 4 or 5 Yamahas and about as many Takamines. I have no desire to own a Taylor, or for that matter, another Martin. I should get my CL2079AX in the next week or so. I'll fill you all in when I get it. I'm getting ready to restore my Trace Elliot TA 200 acoustic amp. It's old and worn out. It has 8 speakers and I have to replace them all. It's wood and I'm going to strip it and refinish the wood and put casters on one end so I won't have to carry it. Lord, those things are heavy. I put Earthwoods on my CC29s contour Celebrity too. I love Ovations and I'm glad there is a place where I can be comfortable and come here and post about my admiration for them. Thanks a lot.

Edited by mymartind35 2012-04-06 11:26 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
AdamasW597
Posted 2012-04-06 11:31 PM (#452909 - in reply to #452905)
Subject: Re: New strings on my Adamas W597.

I have no idea why I used mymartind35 as my name on here. I use AdamasW597 everywhere else. I wish I could change it.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2012-04-07 12:33 AM (#452910 - in reply to #452909)

mymartind35 - 2012-04-06 9:31 PM

I have no idea why I used mymartind35 as my name on here. I use AdamasW597 everywhere else. I wish I could change it.

Go to the "Control Panel" in the upper right corner and just change it.
I am not sure about here, but on the old OFC you could just change your name.
But you won't be able to change your name back to mymartin35. (probably)

I hope that I am correct...
AdamasW597
Posted 2012-04-07 9:19 AM (#452918 - in reply to #452905)

Thanks OMA! What would I do without ya?
FlySig
Posted 2012-04-07 9:31 AM (#452919 - in reply to #452905)

I've tried a lot of different strings on a lot of different O's and A's, but have not tried the Ernie Ball Earthwood yet. I have become a fan of the Helix 80/20 Mediums on my Adamas 2080. Usually I don't like 80/20 but they are just right in the Helix for this guitar. I keep circling back to the same strings after trying other brands. These days I can afford to chase different strings but not different guitars!
Michael R. Winters
Posted 2012-05-04 11:37 PM (#454160 - in reply to #452905)

Ditto on the W-597.
I LOVE MINE, well worth the wait in finally getting an Adamas.
Mike S.
Posted 2022-08-19 11:45 AM (#557627 - in reply to #452905)

Hello, Everyone,
Mike S. here. No, I don't own an ADAMAS guitar yet, but I finally found some NOS 2016 40th Anniversary ADAMAS 1818 Light Gauge ( 012-53) Guitar Strings, Re-Issue w/ Black Packaging, on AMAZON.CA, from a store in Montreal, QC!! YAY! They sell for ... would you believe? $60.00 CDN!! YIKES!! I remain tempted.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
moody, p.i.
Posted 2022-08-20 1:50 PM (#557630 - in reply to #452919)

FlySig - 2012-04-07 7:31 AM

These days I can afford to chase different strings but not different guitars!

Ain't that the truth. I joined the OFC in 2002. In that decade, we all chased a lot of guitars. Now I'm down to 4 Ovation steel 6 strings.

On the 2 center hole guitars (Legend and GC RI, I use 80/20's and on the 2 multi hole guitars (1537 and 87C) I use phos/bronze. Normally Elixirs on all, but lately I've been trying different uncoated strings.

Lotta different strings but the same guitars. Those guitars make me smile.....
Love O Fair
Posted 2022-08-20 7:25 PM (#557631 - in reply to #452905)

@Moody - >>>On the 2 center hole guitars (Legend and GC RI, I use 80/20's and on the 2 multi hole guitars (1537 and 87C) I use phos/bronze. <<<

Curious as to the split between the two-- the differences as they apply to each. (or did it just happen to shake down that way for those particular guitars no matter the sound hole type?)
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2022-08-20 7:46 PM (#557632 - in reply to #557627)

Mike S. - 2022-08-19 11:45 AM

Hello, Everyone,
Mike S. here. No, I don't own an ADAMAS guitar yet, but I finally found some NOS 2016 40th Anniversary ADAMAS 1818 Light Gauge ( 012-53) Guitar Strings, Re-Issue w/ Black Packaging, on AMAZON.CA, from a store in Montreal, QC!! YAY! They sell for ... would you believe? $60.00 CDN!! YIKES!! I remain tempted.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Mike S . way to bring an old thread back to life
I'm not sure of the difference between the 40th Adamas strings and the current version but I found Adamas 1818's on Amazon for $12.99 USD I can order you some if they won't ship to Canada
https://www.amazon.com/Adamas-OV1818E-012-053-Phosphor-Strings/dp/B0...

I've tried lots of different strings and my current favorite are Curt Mangan Fusion Matched

Love O Fair
Posted 2022-08-20 8:39 PM (#557633 - in reply to #452905)

2WD... which Curt Mangan strings do you most like to use.. and on which of the 18,749 Ovations you own do they sound best? I am looking at some 11-52 80/20 lights. Have you used those?

Wait.. it's Saturday. Better make that 18,754.

Edited by Love O Fair 2022-08-20 8:41 PM
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2022-08-20 10:49 PM (#557634 - in reply to #452905)

LOF I started using them on my 12 string Adamas guitars they really make them sing and I have used them on 6 strings also.
I like the phosphor bronze 10-48 for 12 strings and 11-52 on 6 strings but they do custom sets also
I had them do some 12 string sets of monel nickel bronze round core for a retro tone on my vintage guitars.
Its all what appeals to you what guitar were you going to put them on??

https://www.curtmangan.com/11-52-light-phosphor-bronze/

Edited by 2wheeldrummer 2022-08-20 11:04 PM
Love O Fair
Posted 2022-08-21 12:12 AM (#557635 - in reply to #452905)

@2WD >>>what guitar were you going to put them on??<<<

I am going to try a set on my 1627 GC RI.. but different than the ones in the link you posted above. The ones I was looking at are the same gauges as the PB ones you linked (11-52), but are the 80/20 cousin of those. Though after further research of the brand I came across some 80/20 in the 12-53 gauge that I think I will also try along with a set of the 11-52. Both are said to possibly give a slight boost to the mid range.. but you know how "said" goes. If I have to read the words "rich" and "mellow" in string advertisements anymore I swear I will urp up. The only way to really know is to try them on any particular guitar.

2wheeldrummer
Posted 2022-08-21 11:28 AM (#557636 - in reply to #557635)

Love O Fair - 2022-08-21 12:12 AM

@2WD >>>what guitar were you going to put them on??<<<

I am going to try a set on my 1627 GC RI.. Both are said to possibly give a slight boost to the mid range.. but you know how "said" goes. If I have to read the words "rich" and "mellow" in string advertisements anymore I swear I will urp up. The only way to really know is to try them on any particular guitar.

LOF the only thing worse than marketing spew are political speeches everybody's got to try to use "BUZZ WORDS"
I would think the GC would have a stronger mid to start being an Artist Bowl,try a couple sets and if you want more mid do a custom set with heavier 3rd and 4th strings,If you like a inherently stronger mid range look at an Adamas CVT/NWT I think the woven tops have a lot more mid than the unidirectional carbon fiber.

PS I'm nowhere near 18,749 guitars I've only bought 3 this year

(20220526_203132.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20220526_203132.jpg (141KB - 0 downloads)
Mike S.
Posted 2022-08-21 1:35 PM (#557637 - in reply to #557636)

Hello, Everyone,
Thanks for the kind offer 2WD. To the best of my knowledge, and all OFC people can, and will, correct me if I'm wrong on this, the newest version of ADAMAS Guitar Strings, from GEWA in Germany, on the Ovation Tribute site, now has Blue packaging for the coated strings, and the Historic Re-Issue Red packaging for uncoated. The link you sent, 2WD, from Amazon.com US, leads to Strings and Beyond.com, which I've used before. They do ship to CANADA, but there is now a 35% exchange rate for CAN to USD, plus 17% provincial sales taxes here on top of that, so will I save money buying strings from the USA? " We're not sure." It was actually the NOS 2016 Black Packaging, as well as the proper gauge I use on my Ovation, which showed up on Amazon.ca., and that's what got my attention, and then, the CDN sticker shock price almost killed me dead!! And did I mention I have pay for most of anything I buy now with my credit card? I can't eat guitar strings, so I'll probably use up what I've got in my string changing kit for the time being. Maybe the price for these particular strings on Amazon.ca will come down in the meantime. It's happened before with other items. "Hope Springs Eternal!" More to follow. STAY SAFE!
Mike S.,
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
moody, p.i.
Posted 2022-08-21 2:14 PM (#557638 - in reply to #557631)

Love O Fair - 2022-08-20 5:25 PM

@Moody - >>>On the 2 center hole guitars (Legend and GC RI, I use 80/20's and on the 2 multi hole guitars (1537 and 87C) I use phos/bronze. <<<

Curious as to the split between the two-- the differences as they apply to each. (or did it just happen to shake down that way for those particular guitars no matter the sound hole type?)

It always boils down to one's own ears. There is no other judge of what sounds good on one's own guitars. And there are no hard and fast rules. Last night, just for fun, I put a set of Elixir 80/20 (nanoweb) medium gauge on my 87C. Sounds real good so far. I tried a set on the 1537 a month ago and they sucked. Go figure......
Mike S.
Posted 2022-08-21 3:19 PM (#557639 - in reply to #557638)

Hey, moody, p.i.,
Mike S. here again. Maybe you just got a bad set from a bad batch of strings? My guitar tech says the chemistry of some, if not most guitar string alloys, is NOT conducive to storage for long periods of time, i.e., no matter who makes the strings, they will wear out/rust IN THE PACKAGE over a period of time. This happened to me with set of DR Zebra Strings 2 years ago. They don't come with expiry dates, like food, but I think they should. That being said, now I can only afford to change my strings about every 3 months with uncoated strings, and/or every 6 months apart, with the coated brands out there. I tend to buy whatever brand, (except for Elixir, which again, turned out badly for me), is on sale; and yes, it's true, the discounts in music store aren't all they're cooked up to be. I also tend to stick with the OVATION recommended OEM brands, namely ADAMAS, (if I can still find a reasonably priced set of those?), and/or D'Addario. I myself prefer Phosphor Bronze 92/8 strings. Maybe, and that's a definite maybe, at some point, I will try the Kurt Mangan Strings that Dan Savage recommends so highly. Alas, gone are the days of Cheapo Depot Strings like Black Diamond, and EO Mari/La Bella Criterion. Sad, eh?
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA.

Edited by Mike S. 2022-08-21 3:24 PM
Love O Fair
Posted 2022-08-21 3:57 PM (#557640 - in reply to #452905)

@Moody - >>>It always boils down to one's own ears.<<<

Boy, ain't that the truth! As I continue...

@2WD - >>>I would think the GC would have a stronger mid to start being an Artist Bowl,<<<

Yeah, you'd think. It's a relatively new (to me) guitar and EJ 16s are the only brand I have thus far used on it (and they're not very old) and are so flat in the mid that maybe ANY string change-up could be a refreshing difference. An analogy would be like the upper and lower strings are playing in pretty stereo, while the center two are a bland mono in contrast. I am agreeing that a custom mix-match arrangement may be the route it will take for me to warm up to this guitar as it is currently the least played of my fleet as it sits for reasons explained. I think I will try the lighter gauge Mangans on the upper and lower twos, and use the two strings from the heavy gauge set on the center two for incremental starters and see where that leads. Thanks to both of you for your opinions

And finally.. Mike..
Can a private individual in the states just simply put some strings in an envelope and mail them to you as a gift without having any worries about snooping inspectors opening it and violating the Canadian tax and import rules?

Edited by Love O Fair 2022-08-21 4:11 PM
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2022-08-21 5:13 PM (#557641 - in reply to #557640)

Love O Fair - 2022-08-21 3:57 PM

@2WD - >>>I would think the GC would have a stronger mid to start being an Artist Bowl,<<<

I think I will try the lighter gauge Mangans on the upper and lower twos, and use the two strings from the heavy gauge set on the center two for incremental starters and see where that leads.

And finally.. Mike..
Can a private individual in the states just simply put some strings in an envelope and mail them to you as a gift without having any worries about snooping inspectors opening it and violating the Canadian tax and import rules?

LOF you beat me to the punch,I was going to ask Mike if someone sent him a couple sets of strings in a Birthday Card would customs hit him with fees

Mike your getting killed on exchange rates and taxes,I went to Strings and Beyond and the Red Label Adamas strings are $6.99 USD for me do you think they are still the same design as the good old ones.
Maybe The Great Guitar Pumpkin can send you some as a Halloween goody

LOF you can order individual strings from Curt Mangan so order some slighlty heavier D and G strings and you won't have to use 2 packs to make 1 set,I order extra high G strings when I get 12 string sets cause sometimes I'm a dork and tune it to fast and "ping" there goes the high G,I hate to waste a whole set for 1 string

Mike S.
Posted 2022-08-21 8:38 PM (#557642 - in reply to #557641)

Hey, LOF and 2WD,
Thanks for both of the kind replies, and thoughts about the strings as a gift. Unfortunately, for me, 2WD, to answer your question, yes, CANADA POST will open the package to inspect it, and also, yes, I will have to pay for the inspection/ customs fee, depending upon whether it goes through Montreal or Toronto, with different delivery systems for each province here. Montreal is closer to me, but "would you believe?", some items CANNOT be shipped there, and the QC sales taxes/ postal fees are still higher than those in ON. Toronto takes longer, simply because it's the largest postal terminal in CANADA. Even when I order ANYTHING online from my local Wal-Mart, the stuff goes back to Toronto first, and it's 3 weeks to a month before it finally gets to me here in Ottawa, so like you said, LOF, " Go Figure." If and when you do you mark the package as a, "GIFT", from outside CANADA, they/ CANADA POST just send it back to you. "Only in CANADA, eh? PITY!" Again, thanks for the kind offers. I really appreciate the gestures you've made. STAY SAFE!
Mike S.,
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Love O Fair
Posted 2022-08-21 10:30 PM (#557643 - in reply to #452905)

Mike... so sorry for the quagmire that appears to be the Canadian postal system. I had no idea it was so complex there. A way to keep more people employed, I guess.

2WD-- I did consider the single string purchase plan, but further pondering has now occurred of just doing a switch-over on two different guitars. One with the D&G in heavy (the GC RI) and the other (an old Takamine) with the D&G in the lighter ones. Thing is, the gauge difference is so little that it probably won't make much diff on either! Oh, guitars.

Okay.. so.. now on to another string topic. Round core vs. hex. Both of the aforementioned sets will be round core. Why? Well, because I really don't know, or remember, diddly about them. Perhaps I have lived in the 1818 and EJ16 world long enough and not sure if I have even used round core strings during the present second half of my life and would like to check if there is much difference. Any comments or suggestions on that?? Please stop me if I am wandering off a cliff.

Edited by Love O Fair 2022-08-21 10:46 PM
Mike S.
Posted 2022-08-21 11:46 PM (#557644 - in reply to #557643)

Hey LOF,
Thanks for the reply. My aunt was a postmistress in my home town, for 25 years, long before the present CANADA POST quagmire. Now with construction going on here, I can't even access my mailbox. As far as the string debate is concerned, I'd be going off a cliff in my wheelchair, and the brakes aren't the best. GEWA Music may still have the NOS 2019? Round Core ADAMAS set, in various gauges, but they're very expensive for for me, being in CANADA. As I recall, back in the day, GC used Darco Strings on all his Ovations, before the pre-amps came into being. Cheapo Depot stuff, but it worked for him!! I don't know what their core was/is like. "Let's FIND OUT!" STAY SAFE!
Mike S.,
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Mike S.
Posted 2022-09-11 1:08 PM (#557703 - in reply to #557644)

Hello, Everyone,
I spotted something very scary/weird this week on Revervb.ca.?! A NOS c.2018? set of ADAMAS Nuova .012-054 Light Gauge Phosphor Bronze Coated Strings, in the Blue package, for just over 12.00 CDN!! This all seemed just too good to be true,... until I saw the shipping charges from the seller in Austria. Would you believe...$136.41 CDN?!! I'll take the set offered at $60.00 CDN from Amazon.ca, out of Montreal, if this keeps up. There's also a NOS 50th Anniversary 2016 Black package, of the same Light Gauge Uncoated set, like the one Alpep sells, listed from Germany, for about $55.00 CDN, including shipping. Go figure on this one. "Somebody's makin' money somewhere", but it ain't me, especially if I buy the ADAMAS Nuova strings from Austria, NOT!! As my Dad always said," I'm stupid, but I'm not dumb!" I remain flabbergasted.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Mike S.
Posted 2022-09-13 12:31 PM (#557713 - in reply to #557703)

Hello, Everyone,
"I've got good news, and I've got bad news!" The good new is the aforementioned ADAMAS Nuova Strings from Austria, currently selling on Reverb.ca, have had the shipping charges to CANADA reduced, after I contacted the seller. The bad news is the shipping charges are now $83.00 CDN?! I'll pass. Speaking of CANADA, another store here on Reverb.ca, offered a, "26% discount", on a particular brand of strings, which came to about $10.00 CDN for a set of those ones. Not bad, eh?, until the same said store charged $20.00 CDN for shipping this so-called, "discounted", set in the fine print?! I used to work in retail in a music store, back in the day, and call me a dinosaur, but I for one, don't get any of this online chicanery. Always read the fine print. I'm buying local, thank you very much. BUYER BEWARE! STAY SAFE!
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2022-09-13 12:33 PM
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2022-09-13 7:55 PM (#557715 - in reply to #452905)

sounds like a scam to me.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)