The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas needs Oasis humidifier?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

Leo
Posted 2012-04-04 2:09 AM (#452756)
Subject: Adamas needs Oasis humidifier?

Hello,

I have an Adamas 1598 Melissa Etheridge, and interested to know, whether it needs humidifiers or not. I understand it´s composed by carbon fiber, but the neck and bridge are wood. The humidity in Mexico City is between 22% and 30%. Altough inside the case it measures 30% the minimum. I took the courage to put the Oasis humidifiers on my Elite today, one on the headstock, and the other on the body.

I´m worried if the Adamas needs humidifiers, because I have to order them to USA, and it takes 20-30 days to arrive.

Thanks!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2012-04-04 2:40 AM (#452758 - in reply to #452756)
Subject: Re: Adamas needs Oasis humidifier?

The neck, fingerboard, and bridge on your Adamas are all wood.
Also there is wood sandwiched in between the carbon fiber layers of the top.
Plus the Melissa Etheridge Adamas does have a smooth finish.
I keep a Herco humidifier near the headstock on my Adami. (textured tops)

If you cannot wait for an Oasis in the mail, try this.
Take a plastic baggie and punch a few holes in it with a pencil or something similar.
Then place a damp sponge or piece of cloth inside of the baggie.
Place that inside of the guitar case.

The Adamas is designed to not be affected by temperature and humidity changes like other guitars...
But it isn't indestructible. So a bit of prevention is always in order.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2012-04-04 8:07 AM (#452764 - in reply to #452756)

I keep all my guitars in the open and humidy the room in the winter, and run the dehumidifier in the summer. It try to keep it between 50-55% rh.
Scanman413
Posted 2012-04-04 10:17 AM (#452770 - in reply to #452756)

I am a bit anal- :P so I do both- I use both dampits and Oasis humidifiers as well as a Safety First baby room humidifier for the Winter/Fall months when the heater is running. The dampits work great for the Epalet style sound holes. Or is that Epaulet?

Edited by Scanman413 2012-04-04 10:18 AM
Leo
Posted 2012-04-05 1:08 AM (#452824 - in reply to #452756)

Arthur,

Thanks for the nice idea of the plastic baggie, and sharing the Herco humidifier. I discovered the velcros and everything included with Oasis in order to attach the humidifer inside the case, don´t work. If the Adamas has those parts made by wood, it needs humidification as I can tell.

ProfesorBB,

Thanks for confirming you take care of your Adamas regarding humidity. I plan in the future to install an special humidity room for my gear.

Scanman14;

Thanks for sharing dampit is great for epauletes. I confirmed the headstock needs humidification, because when I checked the first day after installing, the Oasis humidifier on headstock looked more empty for the form on the humidifier.

I´ve come with the idea of keeping 3 days the humidifiers on the Elite, and then another 3 with the Adamas until I get the new humidifiers, What do you think of the idea? Or maybe applying Arthur´s idea, and while I keep in one guitar 3 days the humidifers, in the other I put the plastic baggies.

Thanks
Scanman413
Posted 2012-04-05 9:25 AM (#452834 - in reply to #452756)

Leo, another idea- if you don't have one already- I purchased a stand alone digital hygrometer- it sits on my desk in the "music room" so I can see the room humidity and temperature at a glance. It wasn't expensive-about $15 to $20 if I remember right. It's better to be safe than sorry- I had a guitar some years ago that I let go without doing anything about the humidity. I was able to restore it using the Oasis, but it was never really the same as when I first got it. I learned my lesson and now make sure that the humidity is where it should be. Good luck.
FlySig
Posted 2012-04-05 4:19 PM (#452858 - in reply to #452756)

I don't think your Adamas needs a humidifier, but it won't hurt either. I keep all of my guitars in a room humidified to 40%. Both of my daughters keep their guitars in their apartments at college without humidification. One guitar is an Adamas and the other is a USA Ovation. In the very dry winter months I notice the frets poke out a bit on the one Ovation, which means the neck has shrunk a bit from dryness.

An all-wood guitar will have many more dimensional problems from dryness than an Ovation or Adamas. I think keeping the humidity constant is a more important factor for the neck. Below 20% or if you feel the frets poking out at the ends would be a signal to me that you should humidify.

Edited by FlySig 2012-04-05 4:24 PM
AdamasW597
Posted 2012-04-05 7:36 PM (#452868 - in reply to #452756)

I made mine out of a travel soapdish and a sponge. I cut two holes the size of a quarter each in it and then put the trimmed sponge in after I had wrung it out. It humidified my Takamine great. So I tried it with my Martin. Worked great. My Adamas is fine though.
Leo
Posted 2012-04-06 9:25 PM (#452901 - in reply to #452756)

Scanman413,

I learned the hard way too. A high end mexican guitar broke from headstock. I never knew anything about humidity, so researched, and bought hyrgometer. I saw the drastic humidity change below 30% two weeks ago, so I used the humidifiers on my Ovation Elite, my favorite guitar in order to no repeat the history.

FlySig,

You may right regarding neck the most important piece to be humidified. I´m surpised, the humidifier installed in headstock on my Elite is more empty, than the one I put into the body of guitar.

Mymartind35,

Thanks for the idea, I may apply it or turn it into a similar one.

PEZ
Posted 2012-07-16 11:33 PM (#456695 - in reply to #452756)

The Braces need humidifier when I asked at the factory in June
TAFKAR
Posted 2012-07-17 6:30 PM (#456754 - in reply to #452756)

I have the other problem - trying to keep the humidity below 85%. Whenever it creeps up too high I run the dehumidifier, but it can rarely lower it below 75%.

Edited by TAFKAR 2012-07-17 6:31 PM
d'ovation
Posted 2015-10-28 12:58 PM (#516826 - in reply to #452756)

Does a standard Oasis humidifier fit into the epaulet holes?
Leo
Posted 2015-12-17 5:23 AM (#519484 - in reply to #452756)

Yes, there´s 1 hole wich is the biggest. There. I used to tie Oasis humidifier with a cord, then put into the big hole. I prefered the right Epaulet, because is far from electronics. And then put the other extreme of cord around the neck. You can find a better way to put it : ) Nowadays I leave the humidifier free on the cutaway area, without cord. And it works equally well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)