The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Is in the mail!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

majorrich
Posted 2012-03-17 9:53 PM (#452050)
Subject: Ovation Is in the mail!

After much hemming and hawing I finally decided to learn to play the guitar. Seriously this time. My son took my old Aria, and I got a Deluxe Balladeer 1612-1 SN 102840. I suffered pretty serious hand injury in Iraq and don't have a lot of strength, and my index finger is twisted about 45 degrees. The thinner neck I am told will be very helpful in developing alternate techniques to make chords (if I need to)
As this is my 'hello world' post we will see is I am successful at posting a picture. I look forward to making music on what I am told is one of the best learner instruments there is.
The only question I have is the seller mentioned it was starting to 'belly' a little. Is this a normal thing? and if it is like a beer gut rather than a belly, are they reparable?

Thanks! Rich
Top of the page Bottom of the page
majorrich
Posted 2012-03-17 10:01 PM (#452051 - in reply to #452050)
Subject: RE: Ovation Is in the mail!

Well, That failed miserably. when I shed I newb status, I have pics to post. actually I could post to the ebay posting! would that be against the rules?
Nick B.
Posted 2012-03-17 10:02 PM (#452052 - in reply to #452050)
Subject: Re: Ovation Is in the mail!

Hi Rich,
First, thank you for your service! I've had a couple of guitars that developed a belly, but it's really only a cosmetic thing as long as the action stays down and they're still easy to play. Unless it's caused by a brace that's popped loose, there's not a lot that can be done short of replacing the top and bowl. Welcome to the group.
Nick B.
Posted 2012-03-17 10:02 PM (#452053 - in reply to #452050)

It's okay to post a link to the eBay listing.
majorrich
Posted 2012-03-17 10:04 PM (#452055 - in reply to #452050)

Ok Here Goes..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290680571951?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trks...
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-03-17 10:05 PM (#452056 - in reply to #452050)

End you can now post in the general area as well.
muzza
Posted 2012-03-17 10:59 PM (#452057 - in reply to #452050)

Actually, you CAN fix a popped brace without removing the top.
I didn't say it was EASY, but it can be done with copious amounts of ingenuity.
If your hand injury ends up preventing you from playing traditional chords in regular EADGBe tuning, there are a plethora of alternative tunings that simplify playing - especially if you're into bluesy stuff.
Open D, open E etc.
At its simplest, you just place your pointer finger across all the strings anywhere on the fretboard and you're playing a chord.
That doesn't mean that that's as far as you can go. There's lots of other fancy fingerings within open tunings to make your tunes more, well..., fancy.
Nick B.
Posted 2012-03-18 10:21 AM (#452067 - in reply to #452057)

muzza - 2012-03-17 10:59 PM Actually, you CAN fix a popped brace without removing the top.

That's what I was trying to say, but didn't do a good job of it.  Muzza's right, most of the time a brace can be repaired without removing the top.  However, if the bracing is nice and tight and the top developed a belly, it would most likely require replacing the top and my understanding is that Ovation replaces the top and bowl as a single component.

majorrich
Posted 2012-03-21 3:08 PM (#452159 - in reply to #452050)

Thank you all for your affirmations! My new baby arrived today and it looks better than it did in the pictures. No belly worries at all, just a little swale down there. It's significantly louder and more mellow sounding than my Aria. Less "tinny" if that is an appropriate word to describe guitar sounds. I will probably take it to the guitar shop and have some new strings and the setup checked, but I see no issues and am tickled silly. It even has the original neck tag in the case. Someone paid $795 for it back in 1977!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)