The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas I vs. Adamas II

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

stonebobbo
Posted 2012-03-01 1:58 PM (#451236)
Subject: Adamas I vs. Adamas II

Question - is there any reason an Adamas I and an Adamas II of the same vintage and style (i.e. deep bowl non cutaway) should sound any different unplugged?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2012-03-01 2:31 PM (#451238 - in reply to #451236)
Subject: Re: Adamas I vs. Adamas II

nope same tops just different ornamentation on the necks
Mark in Boise
Posted 2012-03-01 3:04 PM (#451240 - in reply to #451236)

There's a local performer who has used Adamas guitars for years. He claims the Adamas IIs sound better because the bridge is heavier, but I couldn't tell the difference.
Waskel
Posted 2012-03-01 3:25 PM (#451241 - in reply to #451236)

Depends on which one I'm playing.
Damon67
Posted 2012-03-01 7:40 PM (#451256 - in reply to #451236)

I think my AII sounds better that my AI did. So my 1581 stays, the 1587 sleeps with the fishes.... OK, it sleeps with Povation.

FWIW, I think Al still has at least one of the 1581 reissues left. The best f'n guitar I've ever bought.

Thanks again for the great price and service Al.
pablojerome
Posted 2012-03-14 9:21 AM (#451903 - in reply to #451236)

I have a couple of excellent older Ovations..1114 & 1861 that play great, but I never had the chance to play an Adamas... until I bought the A-II 1581 from Al about 6 months ago. The best guitar I own ...and likely ever will !!!!!!!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-03-14 2:10 PM (#451909 - in reply to #451236)
Subject: RE: Adamas I vs. Adamas II

stonebobbo - 2012-03-01 11:58 AM

Question - is there any reason an Adamas I and an Adamas II of the same vintage and style (i.e. deep bowl non cutaway) should sound any different unplugged?

How much has it been played? I'm seeing this more and more. I think guitars start to open up exponentially after a certain point in their life so as more years pass the differences are more obvious between the guitar that's been sitting in a case and the one that has been gigged over the years.

I think the playing style of the owners may come into play as well. A guitar that has been lightly played by finger-picking with lighter strings as opposed to a heavy strummer using heavy strings over 30 years is going to make a difference.

Monttexan
Posted 2012-03-14 9:16 PM (#451946 - in reply to #451909)
Subject: RE: Adamas I vs. Adamas II

mileskb - 2012-03-14 2:10 PM

stonebobbo - 2012-03-01 11:58 AM

How much has it been played? I'm seeing this more and more. I think guitars start to open up exponentially after a certain point in their life so as more years pass the differences are more obvious between the guitar that's been sitting in a case and the one that has been gigged over the years.

I think the playing style of the owners may come into play as well. A guitar that has been lightly played by finger-picking with lighter strings as opposed to a heavy strummer using heavy strings over 30 years is going to make a difference.

Being a new player I'm not sure I follow this. I've read references to older guitars sounding better, but not really with any specifics. I have assumed a "fuller" and/or "mellower" tone. I have been able to work with this concept by figuring that an old guitar that has been played a lot will have "gotten used" to vibrating together as a whole, thus being more than the sum of its parts, so to speak. I imagine this to be similar to how some foods (soups in particular) are better a day or two after they are made; once the flavors have a chance to blend together and marry up. How does this idea then apply to an Adamas guitar? It seems to me that the inclusion throughout of hi-tech materials (fiberglass bowl, carbon fiber top, etc...) would leave an Adamas much more stable over time, lessening any changes in tone. What am I missing?

I'm further assuming that any changes a guitar makes over time (opening up) are not the sort of changes that are easily quantifiable, and are open to the interpretation of the individual player or listener? Hope I don't open up a hornet's nest here...just trying to learn some more!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)